Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearcec View Post
While the idea of instant hot water sounds great. But when you turn off the water in the shower with the shower head and turn it back on you get a little bit of hot water (residual in the line?). But then it just runs cold and never heats up again. What i have to do is turn OFF the cold and let the hot water kick on and heat up. Is this normal? Is there a better way?
I have the 2018 Thor Vegas. The instant hot is awesome, but you need to learn how to use it.
1. Remove water restrictors in all your faucets and in the shower head.
2. Set the temperature to a moderate temp. say 110 degrees.
3. Use hot water only, add a dab of cold if it's still too hot.
My wife and I went on a 75 day trip. Two showers a day plus doing dishes. Total propane used, less then 3 gallons.
Remember - if you do GI showers, Lift out the head and aim it away from you when you turn it back on. In 10 seconds, the temp will be back to normal.

Tom And Carol

Old 07-17-2022, 11:49 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Shower Miser Valve by Aqua View, recirculates back to fresh water tank, saves water and cuts down on Grey water.
I believe the OP is referring to the water going cold when turning it off for a moment while soaping up or washing hair. The Miser Valve is the ABSOLUT fix for this. We have used our Girard tankless water heater for 4 1/2 years and love it. Yes, we had to find the desired temp and water pressure which is key. But the miser was the final missing part. For those of you who don't like their Girard water heater for this reason, I suggest you try the miser before taking the leap to replace the water heater (unless you one of those folks that can afford to replace it with a Truma!)
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:05 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I'm on my second coach with the Girard Tankless. We don't boondock much or for very long periods of time but my wife and I boondocked at my in-laws from Thursday afternoon until Monday afternoon over July 4th weekend. I have 60 gallons fresh and 40 gallons black and grey. We took a few showers, washed dishes and flushed the toilet as we always do (a couple bowls of water usually).

We didn't change our habits much other than maybe a quicker shower and we made it through fine. Perhaps that is not long enough for some folks but I was very happy with the water usage when it comes to the tankless.
Judge, I'm genuinely happy for you that you like the Girard Tankless and that it is well suited to your use case. It does not work so well for mine. In particular, my wife finds it to be a real pain in the backside; it is less of an issue for me, although I still prefer the usage pattern that a six-gallon slow recovery water heater affords.

It's not that I'm set in my ways or automatically resistant to change or advancement in technology, and I'm certainly not trying to convert you to my viewpoint or to convince you or anyone else that I'm right or that you're wrong. There is no right or wrong here—we're not disagreeing about the underlying facts. We are simply sharing opinions and preferences.

Peace, my friend.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoldman View Post
Judge, I'm genuinely happy for you that you like the Girard Tankless and that it is well suited to your use case. It does not work so well for mine. In particular, my wife finds it to be a real pain in the backside; it is less of an issue for me, although I still prefer the usage pattern that a six-gallon slow recovery water heater affords.

It's not that I'm set in my ways or automatically resistant to change or advancement in technology, and I'm certainly not trying to convert you to my viewpoint or to convince you or anyone else that I'm right or that you're wrong. There is no right or wrong here—we're not disagreeing about the underlying facts. We are simply sharing opinions and preferences.

Peace, my friend.

Agreed….

You have it well in hand. I do find many people don’t know how to use the Girard properly or Thor screws up the installation.

Just trying to let people know it can work very well when setup snf properly used.

All the best….