Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #15551
Instant Water Heater in Thor Axis 24.1 2018 model

Hi all, I'm on the road and have discovered my instant water heater will produce only warm water (and then only after running water for 2 minutes or so). At one time the temp got up closer to the 124 degree setting but only in the bathroom.
I'm not an expert on these devices but if anyone has seen an operating schematic or has some suggestions for solving this problem, I would appreciate the help!!

Old 09-14-2019, 12:34 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Use the hot water alone, no cold.
Open that tall narrow pull off panel next to the fuse block, across from the bathroom.
There's a valve on the bottom of the water heater, you'll see it easily with a flashlight.
Turn the valve all the way right, all the way left, and set it about center.
Set your temp at 108 or whatever you like without using any cold water.
You can experiment with valve position later.

Other people will have other ideas, but this 2 minute fix cured our 2018 24.1 hot water problem.
(no one bothers with the cold faucet. It just Jacks things up. Use hot alone when you want hot water.)
Old 09-14-2019, 12:38 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
You also need 40 - 50 psi of water pressure. If you are on city water and aren’t using a regulator, try turning on your water pump and see if that gives you stabile hot water.

Also..... I never use the cold water. We set ours to 105 and the water temp stays dead in when taking a shower.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #11769
That happened to us with our 2018 Vegas 24.1 earlier this year ... the water pump wasn’t building enough pressure to keep sufficient flow through the hot water heater. There might have been some air in the line and/or plastic in the water filter. It worked fine when hooked up to city water.
A few weeks later, and after cleaning the pump filter a few times and after some rough road drives, it miraculously started working the night before I took it back to our dealer for warranty work. The dealership checked it out, but couldn’t replicate the issue.

I’ll try the valve suggestion if it happens again.

Fully agree with the comments about running straight hot, no cold.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #5

THOR #15551
Well, thanks for the input. Did the valve trick (I wasn't smart enough to determine where it was originally set) and it worked. Turned the temp down to 110 degrees and it worked using the pump. Haven't tried city water yet but for the first time actually got hot water in the kitchen. Will repost if the problem resurfaces. I will adjust the valve to see how it impacts flow and response time. Good stuff!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #6

THOR #13932
OP:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...tml#post202700

Is the best place for changing your 24.1 to fit you.
And
Go to the sticky section and download Ed's manual.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgmonkman View Post
Well, thanks for the input. Did the valve trick (I wasn't smart enough to determine where it was originally set) and it worked. Turned the temp down to 110 degrees and it worked using the pump. Haven't tried city water yet but for the first time actually got hot water in the kitchen. Will repost if the problem resurfaces. I will adjust the valve to see how it impacts flow and response time. Good stuff!
Glad to hear that you're no longer taking cold (or lukewarm) showers!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #8

THOR #15551
Thanks. I had already done that and pertnear wore it out!!!
Old 01-10-2020, 02:50 AM   #9

THOR #17504
My axis 25.2 instant water heater keeps saying E5 on panel and I don’t have any hot water . Only third day with my first RV . 2018 axis!! Help
Old 01-10-2020, 02:59 AM   #10

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo219 View Post
My axis 25.2 instant water heater keeps saying E5 on panel and I don’t have any hot water . Only third day with my first RV . 2018 axis!! Help
What does your manual say about it?
Old 01-10-2020, 03:22 AM   #11

THOR #17504
Red face

The manuals they gave me say nothing . I feel like half the manuals must be missing. I’ve read
Through what
I have twice at least.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:23 AM   #12

THOR #17504
Will need to return to dealer for third time in the 4 days I’ve had vehicle
Old 01-10-2020, 03:26 AM   #13

THOR #13932
Open the outside door and tell us the make and model.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I’m assuming it is a Girard.

I’m on a business trip and don’t have my manuals in front of me but I believe E5 means the exhaust blower is not turning.

I would do the following:

- Open the outer door and looking into the exhaust and around the blower to see if you see any obstructions keeping the fan from spinning.

- Turn off the white power switch, wait a few seconds and turn it back on. See if the fan briefly moves on power up.

- Try to get your fingers near the fan blade and try to spin the fan to see if it rotated freely or whether it feels stiff.

I had this happen in my last coach and it turned out to be the blower motor. I was able to get Girard to send me a new blower assembly under warranty. I could easily feel the different between the old one and the new one when I tried spinning the fan with my fingers.

The other thing that can cause the E5 is the main board having a problem and not sending voltage to the fan. That is fairly easy to check as well.

Here is a link to the technical manual.....

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf

Replacing the blower motor is a bit of a pain but I was able to do it myself. I could not replace the entire assembly they sent me without removing the entire unit from the coach but I was able
to just swap out the motor itself.

If it’s under warranty and you don’t want to deal with it, I’d take it to the dealer.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #15

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I also agree using only the hot water tap but when doing dishes will increase the temp to 124 F and for showering it is set at 105. I have also changed the whole Girard WH to a 6 gallon Suburban which we had in our previous MH and found the tank water heater fit our need perfectly. The Girard worked OK but it does have limitations when dry camping by using too much water to get hot.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
Old 01-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
JMF

Model: Siesta SJ
State: North Carolina
THOR #16303
Did you look at the Owner Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo219 View Post
The manuals they gave me say nothing . I feel like half the manuals must be missing. I’ve read
Through what
I have twice at least.
I didn’t get all the manuals either. I went to the Thor website and entered my VIN in the owner resources area. They have all the manuals for your specific coach in electronic form. Ours even had schematics for the coach. We downloaded everything on an iPad and a thumb drive we take with us. My dealer didn’t tell me about this Link either:

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/
Old 01-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
I managed to get hot water more consistently by removing all the restrictors in the faucets. You need to move a lot of water to get the heater to work properly.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #18

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I just checked the manual for my Girard GSWH-2 model (downloaded from Thor site using the VIN to login). Judge is correct:
"E5: Blower motor failure.
No motor signal was detected before ignition or during normal operation. This could be also caused by a wiring fault in the motor connections."
Old 01-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #19

State: California
THOR #15165
Hot water fix

I have a Axis 27.7 2019 had the same issue with hot water. After trying different fixes this the one that worked for me.

After you hookup your city water open all the hot water valves, shower, sink & kitchen turn on the water for about minute, close all the valves and your hot water will stay at the temp you set. I would also recommend a pressure regulator as many RV parks have way to much pressure.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #20

Model: Outlaw 29H
THOR #10400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
... I have also changed the whole Girard WH to a 6 gallon Suburban which we had in our previous MH and found the tank water heater fit our need perfectly. The Girard worked OK but it does have limitations when dry camping by using too much water to get hot.
I think I'll end up going to a 6 gal unit too instead of the tankless one mine has. Thought it would be a good feature but alas I prefer just turning on the gas tank heater before a shower etc to conserve the increased water a tankless unit seems to use. Almost all my RVing is without any hookups.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote