Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2017, 05:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: California
THOR #7619
Smile Spare Tire & Wheel for Thor Freedom Elite 22

Just purchased at 2016 Freedom Elite on 450 Ford frame. It didn't come with a spare. The only place that would sell me a wheel was Ford for $460. Just the steel wheel and no tire. I can't pay that much, any suggestions?
Thanks, Ted

Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Salvage Yard
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I got my wheel from Amazon for $85. Tire also, Michelin LTX MS2 for $195. Bought a 12 ton bottle jack at Walmart for $30. Tools no issue, I tow a racecar,
Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
Yep, Amazon is the place, but you can also get a rim on EBay.. Around $85 shipped to your home..
Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
No...go to Wheels and Caps and look at refurbished Ford wheels. Mine cost about $55 because I selected a gray one instead of a white one (go figure!). It was about $70 with shipping but got here in just a couple of days. I asked at my Discount Tires store if they had an orphan tire in the right size and got a Hankook for $65. Mounted and balanced my spare was just under $150. No the carrier for it was another whole story...it cost $500!
Old 05-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted bell View Post
Just purchased at 2016 Freedom Elite on 450 Ford frame. It didn't come with a spare. The only place that would sell me a wheel was Ford for $460. Just the steel wheel and no tire. I can't pay that much, any suggestions?
Thanks, Ted
Just wondering Ted, are you planning on changing out a flat tire on your own? I will never do it in my particular case. We compromised and purchased a matching Michelin tire from Tire Rack and store it between the frame rails behind the fuel tank. I figure that if I ever do get a flat, at least the tow truck can either mount it on the road if so equipped or they can take it back to the shop and do it. I just don't want to wait days to find a replacement tire. Just a thought.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #7

THOR #6826
Second that! I don't carry tools to change my new spare and have no plans to try. With both Ford and Good Sam roadside assistance I'm happy to let someone else do it for me. But like axis earl I think the service call will go better (i.e. Quicker and cheaper) if I have a spare on site and ready to go. And I sincerely hope never to need it. I consider my TireMinder TPMS to be essential equipment. I also carry a tire plug kit and a compressor in case I have a simple nail puncture on which I can make my own temporary repair. "Belt and suspenders ", I know but I hate sitting helpless on the side of the road.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
i may wait on one of the 3 roadside assistance I have depending on where I am and where I am headed. If we at Disney, I will wait and spend extra night. If I am on way to racetrack, would likely not have time to wait.

That was a consideration when we bought Vegas instead of ACE or Sunstar we looked at. I really liked the Sunstar and wife liked ACE. Both much heavier and use 19.5" tires. I do not mind wresting a 16", 19.5" pushing limits. Vegas does not sink in yard or at racetrack. The full size class A usually will in rainy season. The overall simplicity and ease of use with Vegas is hard to beat.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:00 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 28Z
THOR #7619
Wheel & Tire

Thanks guys for the info. Saved a lot of money.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:35 AM   #10

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I just bought a tire & wheel for my WS31. Now, I'll have a friend of mine fab a cross beam to mount a factory E-series spare tire winch to it.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
ford roadside assistance

Am i missing something ?
Just bought a 2017 Windsport.
Ford roadside will tow to the nearest dealer for 5 years or 60000 miles.
Why would i need to purchase extra roadside coverage?
New to this forum, and you guys have been a lot of help, already...
Thank you.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #12

THOR #6826
They may tow you to a dealer who may or may not be open when you get there and may, or may not have the tire you want (size and brand) in stock and who may or may not sell it to you at a "reasonable" price. Not to mention that you might also need a rim which they probably won't have in stock. On the other hand, if you have a spare with you they will put it on for you at the side of the road and you're on your way. Or, with some tools you can do it yourself if you are so inclined. My spare (wheel and tire) cost me $150. I hope I never need it but there it is. Some folks have peace of mind with just roadside service as you suggest while others of us want a bit more control over our fate. Both are good. Enjoy your travels!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
Thanks

Thanks for the reply, as usual, a big help.
Been rv'ing for a few years now, first motor home.
Good information, good travels to you.