Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2020, 11:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #19987
Introduction and in need of access door hatch advice

Hi Y'all,

We bought a 2015 Axis 24.1 about a month ago. It's our first RV of any type.

Previous owner had done "a bit" of damage to the lower driver side by hitting something solid and low, it would appear. It dinged some fiberglass in front of the left front tire and scraped along the side, just enough to dent the waste water access door.

The fiberglass work is no big deal, but I'm having a devil of a time finding a replacement access door hatch. I called the local Camper World OEM parts guy, who checked with Thor. He found out the door was made by Challenger Doors, but Thor has since changed door suppliers. We're waiting to hear back from Challenger Doors about getting a replacement, but it's not looking good from that end.

That leaves me on the hunt for a replacement. The metal inside frame measures 13 7/8" wide x 11 1/8" high. I have found places that custom make these, but the ones I've found make them in 1/2" increments. Because it is an aluminum framed door that screws into the aluminum frame of the coach, it needs to fit closer than that.

My question is, does anyone have a recommendation for finding a replacement hatch? Remember, Thor and their door maker, Challenger, are not options. Repairing it is almost completely out of the question, as the hinge is damaged beyond hope.

Thanks for any help regarding this and a great big thank you for all the content here that has gotten me up and running.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues View Post
Hi Y'all,

We bought a 2015 Axis 24.1 about a month ago. It's our first RV of any type.

Previous owner had done "a bit" of damage to the lower driver side by hitting something solid and low, it would appear. It dinged some fiberglass in front of the left front tire and scraped along the side, just enough to dent the waste water access door.

The fiberglass work is no big deal, but I'm having a devil of a time finding a replacement access door hatch. I called the local Camper World OEM parts guy, who checked with Thor. He found out the door was made by Challenger Doors, but Thor has since changed door suppliers. We're waiting to hear back from Challenger Doors about getting a replacement, but it's not looking good from that end.

That leaves me on the hunt for a replacement. The metal inside frame measures 13 7/8" wide x 11 1/8" high. I have found places that custom make these, but the ones I've found make them in 1/2" increments. Because it is an aluminum framed door that screws into the aluminum frame of the coach, it needs to fit closer than that.

My question is, does anyone have a recommendation for finding a replacement hatch? Remember, Thor and their door maker, Challenger, are not options. Repairing it is almost completely out of the question, as the hinge is damaged beyond hope.

Thanks for any help regarding this and a great big thank you for all the content here that has gotten me up and running.

Perhaps photos would help. If it proves impossible to find a new replacement your options would seem to be finding a used one at a salvage yard, making a new one yourself or fixing the one you have. Without seeing what you’re up against I think I’d make a few calls to salvage yards and if that didn’t work I’d try to fix it. Shouldn’t be too hard to find a new hinge or to reinforce the structure.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #19987
Thanks for the advice, Pete's MH.

After having no luck with the Camping World OEM guy, I called Challenger Doors myself. I spoke with the sales rep for my region (https://www.challengerdoor.com/). She asked me to send an email with a photo of the sticker from the inside of my door. I had it and sent it. She said I would get a quote the next day. I waited a couple more days and heard back from the CW guy who got me a quote of $96 +shipping. I ordered it.
A couple of days later, I got a quote from Challenger: $66.

They are gettable from Challenger Door. Mine was a one-off situation where I was having the work done by my fiberglass guy, but I imagine if I had been in need of more serious body work and more doors, the body shop would have built all of this into the process and I'd have never known where the doors came from.

My advice is to take photos of any of the stickers inside your coach. Without that, I would have been SOL.