Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 07:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Based on your description, I would say the internal transfer switch or a fuse in the inverter itself has gone bad. If it is one of the typical Xantrex inverters that is hard wired, it may have been that momentary power off/power on cycle that tripped it. The only real question is whether or not it can be reset. According to Xantrex, the only way to reset it is to unhook the inverter from all AC and DC leads and let it set for at least an hour. It is probably worth a shot just to try that.

FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #22

Model: Palazzo
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11270
All of the answers are spot on, but please try a hard reset first. I think another helpful soul suggested this - unhook all DC loads from the inverter and let it sit for at least 30 minutes, then reattach the loads (may require a soft start then). When you reattach the DC positive terminal and get a spark, that is a GOOD sign!!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #23

State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR13 View Post
All of the answers are spot on, but please try a hard reset first. I think another helpful soul suggested this - unhook all DC loads from the inverter and let it sit for at least 30 minutes, then reattach the loads (may require a soft start then). When you reattach the DC positive terminal and get a spark, that is a GOOD sign!!
Actually, the spark is not that much of a sign at all. That just means the the inverter's input capacitors are present. You would probably get the same spark if the inverter was totally dead because capacitors are rarely the problem.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #24

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #11583
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFireCaptain View Post
This morning when we woke up we don’t have anything that runs off the inverter. We are hooked to shore power. Checked all the fuses and circuit breakers. Residential refrigerator, entertainment center and TVs all out. The inverter panel shows everything ok. Circuit breaker on inverter doesn’t do anything. Can’t push it in, just feels soft. Last night the power went out for about 3 seconds and came back on again. Everything was fine after that but this happened during the night.
I'm not sure if you were able to get your MH back up and running. I had a problem similar to this. My power would start to come up, then would fad out. Same thing when I started the generator. I was told by Thor that the inverter was bad, got a new one that wasn't it. I preformed all of same checks with a digital meter. There was a relay module inside of my generator that caused me not to have shore power nor generator power. I took the generator out and had a shop to diagnose it. Three months later and $500 I back in business. This was on a 2006 Four Winds and you would have to take the power cord and plug it into shore power, or plug it back in it's socket when you were traveling. Being that way actually made it easier to diagnos the problem. Hope this helps.

Ken
Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #25

State: Minnesota
THOR #5462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpierson View Post
I'm not sure if you were able to get your MH back up and running. I had a problem similar to this. My power would start to come up, then would fad out. Same thing when I started the generator. I was told by Thor that the inverter was bad, got a new one that wasn't it. I preformed all of same checks with a digital meter. There was a relay module inside of my generator that caused me not to have shore power nor generator power. I took the generator out and had a shop to diagnose it. Three months later and $500 I back in business. This was on a 2006 Four Winds and you would have to take the power cord and plug it into shore power, or plug it back in it's socket when you were traveling. Being that way actually made it easier to diagnos the problem. Hope this helps.

Ken
We'l that is interesting. Here is what ended up happening. After we shut down all the batteries and tried to come back up that didn't happen the fault light still flashed on my panel. We had a repair man come told us inverter was shot he did a bypass and hooked use to our coach batteries we kept moving from battery to battery and charging with a charger we ordered a new converter/ inverter (1600) the day before (6 days) our repair man was to put that in the fault went away and everything worked so we didn't have to pay for the new inverter but paid to hook everything back to normal GHOSTS I figure