Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2019, 02:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16215
Inverter Fail

Hi all,

I’m new to the forums. DH and I have a 2020 Hurricane 34J we picked up about 6 weeks ago and have a mystery problem we need help with.

Twice now suddenly every single thing in the RV will turn on...every light, fan, rear a/c, and furnace blasting hot air. The panel will show an inverter fault.

The first time it happened we couldn’t turn anything back off but this time we were able to turn everything except the furnace off. The only way we can turn it off is to disconnect from shore power and hit the battery disconnect. When we reconnect the shore power the fault warning goes away and everything is fine.

Any ideas?

Old 08-03-2019, 03:31 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Sounds like a trip back to the dealer.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:37 AM   #3

THOR #16215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Sounds like a trip back to the dealer.
That’s what we’re trying to avoid. We live in it full time and while the sales and finance side of the dealer is amazing the service is slow as we know from our fifth wheel. They also don’t have accommodations to stay in the RV while they work on it.

Our option might be to drop it off when we take a non-RV trip to Michigan in November.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Look for a mobile RV service in your area that is authorized to perform warranty work for Thor. It will require a phone call to Thor Customer Service but they are usually good about authorizing mobile tech service, especially when living full time in the RV. DO NOT be afraid to call Thor. Their Customer Service reps have been wonderful for most of us. It's what they were hired to do...take care of issues.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 32.2
State: Texas
THOR #14520
Firefly Multiplex Might Be At Fault

There is a known problem on some of the 2019 models related to the Firefly Multiplex System that closely mimics what you have seen. It happened to our Miramar 3-4 times.

Evidently Thor has a fix (upgrade IO control board) now that probably works. Ours is at the dealer now getting the upgrade.

Also be aware that the slides can move on their own while stopped due to this problem. Thor recommended we pull the fuse whenever we are camping.

For the furnace we had to lower the temperature setting down about 10 degrees below actual to get it to turn off.

Hope this helps... Enjoy your trips!
Old 08-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, does your new 2020 use the Firefly multiplex control system? Sounds like it might have some common control system that goes berserk. There have been some problems with the newer software/firmware on the Firefly systems noted on the Forum a few weeks ago, where systems (including slides) would start moving on their own. As you can imagine this is very dangerous.

I think that older version Firefly software/firmware had no issues and that Firefly had corrected their problems with the newer software and were working with Thor to install the corrected software/firmware. I am not sure if this is your problem, but I would call Thor and Firefly to see if your coach is a likely candidate.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
this is not an 'inverter fail' because all of those items you mentioned are actually NOT run thru the inverter, but thru the 12v fuse panel and your house batteries, and while the a/c unit is 120v only, it's THERMOSTAT is also 12v thru the fuse panel, which turns it on/off.

Sounds more like your CONVERTER is acting up, OR you may have a/some loose wires in your fuse panel, OR you have a REMOTE PANEL, such as Firefly, that is causing this situation.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #8

THOR #16215
Thank you!!!

Yes we have the Firefly. Thank you so much for the insight. We will call Thor and see if we need an update and will pull the fuse for the slide in the meantime. So far that hasn’t moved but I experienced that one time on our fifth wheel and I sure don’t want a repeat!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I doubt you'd ever see something like this happen prior to the more 'digitalization' of the electronic switching onboard RVs... I suspect the firefly system has been 'bit' : /

Forest River has also just announced some recalls due to similar problems with their systems and slides moving while traveling, on their own!