Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor class c outlaw
State: California
THOR #18162
Norcold fridge issues in 2020 Thor outlaw J

So I have had problems since day one with my new RV. The fridge stops working when on propane and blinks a five red led code. The first time I took it to the dealer they said they couldn’t duplicate the problem. The second time back to the dealer they did and replaced the gas valve. It still does it intermittently so back to the dealer it went. I called them after two weeks and they said well we couldn’t get it to do it. They said document it with Thor and ask for a extended warranty.

I told them you cannot send out a rv with a bad fridge that is going to ruin someone’s food and end their trip out. He ended up saying I was right. I called Thor anyways to complain about the issue and they were suppose to call the dealer. I left a message today but haven’t heard a word as this is going on the third week.

Anyone else have the issue. Batteries and propane were up. The fridge is a N7 or something like that. According to the manual the five blinks indicate the flame was sensed when it was not suppose to be.

I figured a bad board, flame sensor or too big a flame. But I’m not a fridge guy.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Or loose power connections.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #3

THOR #18162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Or loose power connections.
Ah could be. I looked at the wiring connections and they were tight. But maybe didn’t see all that’s there.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
It does say that if that error code occurs, the gas valve is "mechanically" stuck open. Since they replaced the gas valve, checking connections would be good as suggested.

It could also be a mainboard issue.

There looks to be a manual shutoff valve on the gas valve. If you can get to it, might be worth shutting the gas off when this happens to see if the error clears. If it doesn't, then it could be a false error and a mainboard issue.

If the error does clear when you shut off the gas valve, then you know the gas valve is staying open when it shouldn't. That could mean you got another bad valve or the mainboard isn't calling for it to close when it should.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:50 PM   #5

THOR #18162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
It does say that if that error code occurs, the gas valve is "mechanically" stuck open. Since they replaced the gas valve, checking connections would be good as suggested.

It could also be a mainboard issue.

There looks to be a manual shutoff valve on the gas valve. If you can get to it, might be worth shutting the gas off when this happens to see if the error clears. If it doesn't, then it could be a false error and a mainboard issue.

If the error does clear when you shut off the gas valve, then you know the gas valve is staying open when it shouldn't. That could mean you got another bad valve or the mainboard isn't calling for it to close when it should.
If the gas valve was stuck open wouldn’t the food freeze. Also the fridge shuts down and you have to reset it on the front to turn it back on with the five blinks.