Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #23059
Angry Inverter not connecting to Shore Power

Hi everyone,

I’m new to RV’s but this really has me baffled. Less than a month ago, I took delivery on my 2021 Outlaw 38kb. So far, it’s the worst 180k I’ve ever spent. Too many failures and malfunctions to count. Awnings didn’t retract, slides didn’t work, furnace failed, cooktop was broken...and now, I am plugged into shore power, and have discovered it’s not running to the inverter. It’s trapped on battery power and as you all know, it’s draining them rather than charging them as it should. Thor’s Tech people had me running circles around the coach trying to see if that light or another was on.

Is there something I’m missing. The Axterra system shows no power coming from the shore connection OR the solar charger. What’s going on here!? Please, I need some help here...mobile repair can’t come for weeks and I can’t take it to a dealer with an awning that still won’t close. (That, is supposed to be repaired next week by a mobile service.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Inverter not connecting to Shore Power

The Automatic Transfer Switch controls the AC power into the coach..... not the Inverter. The Inverter takes 12V battery power and converts it to AC for a limited number of outlets. The Inverter has a built-in ATS but typically its only wired to a limited number of outlets like the refrigerator so it still has power when you don’t have shore power or generator power.

This is the case unless you have a high-end Inverter or Inverter / Charger with a built-in 50A ATS. I have a Xantrex Freedom X 2000 in my Magnitude and a separate ATS. Most of the Inverters Thor uses have an ATS that is only rated for a max of 30A so it does not supply AC to the entire coach. I had an Outlaw 29C that was the same way as my Magnitude. I’m not sure if the Class A Outlaw is different.

What happens when you start the generator? If the ATS is really the issue, you may get lucky and be able go get AC power through the geneator at least.

You also need to go back to basics. Are you sure there is power at the pedestal? Are you sure there is power coming out of your power cord? Are the main breakers tripped?

You should carry a multimeter to be able to check electrical items when you have issues like the one you are experiencing.

You should check the wiring going into and out of the ATS to make sure there are no loose connections. You shoukd also check it at the power distribution panel. Loose / poor connections have been known to happen. Be sure to unplug the shore power cord and have the generator off so you don’t zap yourself!

Also... the Solar Controller only provides charging power to the house batteries. It had nothing to do with the Inverter... other than keeping the house batteries charged so you can use the Inverter if the batteries are not being charged by shore power, generator or the engine alternator.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Do you have the charger turned on?

Great overview by Judge

Time for the VOM