Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2018, 12:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #11708
Inverter options?

I just got a 2001 Damon Intruder. Everything ( with a few minor exceptions) seems to work ok, but I am looking at upgrades and changes.

It has a converter ( with 3 stages to the charging cycle) , but that limits your 110V unless you are in a RV park, or run the generator. I am thinking of putting in an inverter along with some extra golf cart batteries, since the wife needs 110V for an oxygen concentrator and charging an electric wheelchair as a backup option.

What is the best arrangement to allow the converter, 110v outlets, generator, and inverter to "live happily ever after" together? Should the converter be scrapped for an inverter charger? Will the inverter require its "own" outlets in the RV, or can it be wired to "share" the existing outlets with the generator and outside power connections? What happens if the current converter is kept, and the inverter is added to the mix in terms of one system not tolerating one of the others?

Old 05-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Edk

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
If you install a
charger/inverter, you could unplug your existing converter from the 120v. And keep it there for back up.
The new C/I would need to be mounted and wired somewhere close to the batteries. And the outlets you pick will need to be rewired to the new C/I. The C/I you chose should have a bypass internal. It will reconize when you are on shore or generator or need to go to battery power. There is a fair amount of design work you need to do before purchasing parts. Examples, what you would like to run. This could determine your C/I size. And battery capacity, size, would also come into play. Hope this helps. Edk