Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
Blown Transfer Switch

While traveling to the west coast in our 2016 Vegas 24.1 we were delayed a few days after our transfer switch blew out knocking out our 30 amp shore power connection. We were running the AC and electric water heater and had a surge protector connected when the power cut out leaving an electrical burning smell in the rear compartment. None of the breakers or fuses were tripped or burned and both generator power and 12V still functioned. We managed to find a local repairman who replaced the transfer switch. He found the insulation around the cable ends were stripped short not allowing the wire strands to be properly twisted into a solid bundle prior to connecting them with a twisted wire connector and wrapping them with electrical tape. He said that he's replaced a number of switches because the loose strands often short at the wire connectors sending an arc wiping out the solenoid switch. Our switch box is located under the passenger side bed towards the rear of the compartment and looks like a black box with heavy orange cables running out of it. It might be worth re-doing all the cable connections to make sure there aren't any loose strands.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Transfer Switch

We are currently having our transfer switch replaced as well. It didn't actually fail, but we were getting a strong electrical burning smell from under the bed area. It was hard to trace the smell because it floats up through the vented area by the charge controller and hot water tank. Fortunately the repair is covered under warranty.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:59 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We had the same issue. Lost all 110 from shore power or generator. The hot wire arced and melted the wire nut. I stripped the wires back, used a new wire nut and secured with electrical tape. Everything was good to go in about ten minutes. (once I found the transfer switch. Wasn't where THOR said it was) Definitely worth checking connections.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Also, the day before this happened the AC unit was really noisy and running rough. Guess that is was the lack of good power causing that. Just wanted to mention that this should have been a warning sign, but thought it was just warm weather.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #6082
Thanks so much for the information. We have a 2016 33.5 Miramar and new to motor coaches but not camping as we traded in our HitchHiker 5th wheel recently. The previous posts really helped in zeroing in on the possible reason for the popping sound we heard today and localized to the back bay at the transfer switch. Based on the posts, we think we have avoided any long term damage and will pursue having the transfer switch checked and possibly rewired. Happy motoring y'all!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #6

THOR #7660
Thor Vegas automatic transfer switch

Wanted to add to the experiences with this item. We have a 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1. Over the past few months, the shore AC would not always go on when plugged in . Thought it was post power problems at the campsites, but it happened at home too. No distribution AC breakers would trip. The generator AC would be ok, never tripped out when activated. Since the problem was so intermittent, it took a while to solve. I searched for a long while to find the ATS in my rig. Turns out, it is located under the hall closet, but you have to remove the two drawers to get to it. Once I removed it for inspection with the wires still intact on the unit, I discovered one very blackish discolored neutral wire (they are white). Further inspection revealed the wire was very loose on the terminal. I stripped the blacken part, connected it tight, and tried the shore AC, as well as the Gen. All worked very well. I suspect Thor would say that it was shaken loose from travels, maybe so, but it also might not have been installed at the factory three years ago with the correct screw torquing. Anyway, the unit was not damaged, apparently, and it was a satisfying self-fix!
Old 05-27-2017, 02:38 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsvegas
Turns out, it is located under the hall closet, but you have to remove the two drawers to get to it.
Did you try removing the cold air return vent below the drawers and get access that way? (removing that vent gives you access to a lot of stuff there)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #8

THOR #7660
Thor Vegas automatic transfer switch

yes, I removed the cold air return panel, and the ATS is not visible or accessible from behind the vent. Thor mounted my ATS up and behind the top drawer.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #6917
My brand new never on a trip ACE 30.2 is in the shop for this same issue. My symptom was......everything worked when hooked up, but only 1 AC and half the plugs worked on Generator. They have had my unit for a month and a week. Driving me crazy as I have not even been on a weekend trip yet. Go figure. 90k and this is what we get, lol.
Thanks Thor.

Does anyone know where this switch is on an ACE 30.2?
Old 05-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #10

State: Idaho
THOR #18782
Under the bed