Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I am curious to know what the OP decided? Or what did the Tech he got recommend?

If it were me...

Step 1 - Upgrade to the largest battery capacity possible for the Vegas 25.6

In my case I went with 2 12v @125ah each for total of 250ah. I could have put 2 6v batteries but they were 225ah each for total of 225ah. 3 or 4 batteries is not an option for me without taking up some space someplace else.

Step 2 - If you have 400ah then go for 2000 watt inverter otherwise a 1000 watt inverter should be adequate unless you insist on using a microwave when boondocking? I don't drink or get the coffee stuff? My wife drinks coffee at home but never when we travel. I don't touch the stuff in favor of brewed natural barley and water

Step 3 - Buy ATS and remote switch for whatever Inverter you choose. We have Magnum 1000watts

Step 4 - This should be up to your Tech guy, but our coach was prewired for Inverter circuit

- MBR has 3 receptacle on inverter one on each side of bed and in BR TV cabinet.
- Front Passenger computer station 1 outlet
- Overhead Entertainment center 1 outlet
- Main TV 40" 1 outlet ( I put extension cord on it, as it is hidden in cabinet)
- Outside Kitchen 1 outlet
- Outside TV 40" 1 outlet
- Inverter itself (lower bay)
- In slide behind stove 1 outlet used for HDMI extender to rear bedroom TV

and I just added a new line that runs from my MBR receptacle (hardwired behind TV receptacle) to the Vent area behind my Norcold fridge.

So in summary all I needed that was NOT factory was supplied inverter circuit for absorption fridge. I only want that for driving.

I don't think I would want all my circuits on that line? It would be too much to turn on or off to remember. I like the remote switch to shut off inverter when we need to. Thus far we have never come close to use the 1000 watts or 800 watts for that matter. I can run both fridges for under 500 watts.

When I get new batteries installed, I hope to get rid of the corrosion crud, water maintenance, redundant automotive battery posts (run risk of touching something and shorting or blowing fuses). I hope to gain a full day or 2 to run what we use off batteries.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:21 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I am afraid that would not work with my DW. She still used a manual Underwood typewriter and a flip phone for communications. I have to make sure everything is totally automatic and fool proof; thus, a 2000 watt always on inverter with a 30 amp transfer switch (Xantrex Freedom Xi) with and load shedding sub panel for all the duplex receptacles in the coach except for the three GFCI duplex receptacles. Rewiring the coach is so much cheaper than a divorce after 57 years.
Sounds like my DW. I have to show her each and every time where to push the button to turn on the inverter so the modem, router and network work while going down the road so she can have Internet to play games on her tablet.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:52 AM   #23

State: Ohio
THOR #21436
Solar gen battery

I have a 21 Axis , bought a 500w hr battery for $300 and can run tv and Roku for 16 hrs as they use abt 25W together. It has 2 ac outlets. It weighs under 10lbs. If u have a greater need for power you can get a Jackery 1000 or 1500 enough to run all your appliances except AC. for hrs on by connecting the shore power cord via a dog bone 110 adapter for entire rv. You can solar charge, using gen or cig lighter also and have endless power for boone docking. Less complicated and significantly cheaper option and can also use at home for power outages.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabib View Post
I have a 21 Axis , bought a 500w hr battery for $300 and can run tv and Roku for 16 hrs as they use abt 25W together. It has 2 ac outlets. It weighs under 10lbs. If u have a greater need for power you can get a Jackery 1000 or 1500 enough to run all your appliances except AC. for hrs on by connecting the shore power cord via a dog bone 110 adapter for entire rv. You can solar charge, using gen or cig lighter also and have endless power for boone docking. Less complicated and significantly cheaper option and can also use at home for power outages.
Welcome to the FORUM

1) what’s the brand & model of the 500wh Battery?
2) where do you store it in your 24.1?
Old 04-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #25

THOR #21436
In the cabinet next to the BR tv. Brand is Jackery 500. Other good one is bluetti ac50. You can go even smaller 300w battery if u just want for tv and charging devices it weighs 7 lbs. My suggestion would be to go with the 1000W hr battery and 1000w inverter and keep it in the garage or in the cab area. It weighs around 25 lbs. U can run everything except Microwave and AC by connecting to the shore power cord w a dog bone.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
In the cabinet next to the BR tv. Brand is Jackery 500. Other good one is bluetti ac50. You can go even smaller 300w battery if u just want for tv and charging devices it weighs 7 lbs. My suggestion would be to go with the 1000W hr battery and 1000w inverter and keep it in the garage or in the cab area. It weighs around 25 lbs. U can run everything except Microwave and AC by connecting to the shore power cord w a dog bone.
Just to be clear Jackery 500 contains a lithium ion battery 24 amp-h @ 21.6 volts + a sine wave inverter. The power is equivalent to a 40 amp-h @ 12.5 volt LiFePO4 battery. Normally in battery discussions, the convention is amp-hours @ 12.5 volts with a 20 amp draw.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Not sure I follow the need or applications in RV?

That Jackery 1000w list for $1,000

You say...
U can run everything except Microwave and AC by connecting to the shore power cord w a dog bone

If I have shore power why do I need a Jackery of any type?
I also don't follow the advantage of portable inverter if you have built in inverter on the coach?

That device the 500w or smaller would seem great for camping or in a small boat or something. But for the money why wouldn't you simply invest in good quality batteries and inverter assuming your RV did not have?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
That's not a battery - it's a power station, sometimes called a "solar generator" because the small lithium battery can be charged by an external solar panel with its built-in MPPT controller. The inverter part is only 500 watts. It is currently listed for $500 on Amazon but you can apply a $80 coupon to bring it down to $420.

It may work for you but most RVers would want that inverter running from their house batteries and not have to run extension cords to the TVs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #29

THOR #21436
Ok I am not sure now I thought you just wanted to watch tv and u don't have an inverter and don't want to run the genny. That's what I use it for travel and when I don't have shore power for kids to watch tv during travel. 500W is plenty. If u want to run all your appliances without use of genny then the higher watt battery will do that basically shore power without AC and microwave. If u have an inverter then u don't need anything but couple of 100 amp lithium batteries and the right charger and inverter. We don't boone doc right now but if that became our primary camping then full upgrade and enough solar will be essential. My apologies if I confused things for u.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #30

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
I have an ACE 27.2. It had no factory inverter. I installed a 1509 W inverter in the storage cabinet next to the batteries, so the hook up was pretty easy. The inverter had a remote on/off switch which I ran thru the closet, and put just below the thermostat.

Now the complicated part: I ran the output from the inverter to the box below the bed where all the electrical stuff is. I determined which plugs I wanted on the inverter (for me it was TV and kitchen for coffee and blender for smoothies and margaritas.). I bought a marine A/B/Off switch, cut the Romex wires to the plugs AFTER their circuit breakers, and wired the switch up. So, if I want to use the inverter (dry camping) I turn the rotary switch to inverter, remotely turn on the inverter, and I’m good. I shut the Keureg off after use, the blender spins for 30 seconds, that leaves a couple hours of TV, so no problems, even with 2 group 27 Costco batteries. Also have 200W solar and a battery monitor. I could just use the genset for the blender, but early coffee may be too loud, and I don’t want it running for the TV.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:31 AM   #31

Model: 2020 4 Winds 31Y
THOR #20784
I added a 3kw inverter and am powering all ac circuits. An upcoming trip will let me know if all works as planned. In the past 120 days I have added the inverter, added AGM batteries going from 92ah to 700ah, added 760 watts of solar panel and converted the entire power system from 30amp to 50 amp. Time will tell. No more power mods.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Everyone test your inverter..and all hook up in your driveway before camping
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #33
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Everyone test your inverter..and all hook up in your driveway before camping
Why?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Why?
I think he is just giving advise for those that may not be as inclined to know your equipment before hitting the roads. i.e. It is nice to know how many actual hours you can run your normal stuff before draining down to 50%; so you plan according when on the road or camping. It is less stress if you find something in your driveway than the hard way on that vacation trip.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Correct when I do mine .will test just in case in challenges
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullabunk View Post
I added a 3kw inverter and am powering all ac circuits.

Wow LIKED;3kw inverter but what on earth are you doing in that RV (running HVAC?) and if so; how long can you run 1 or 2 units?

An upcoming trip will let me know if all works as planned. In the past 120 days I have added the inverter, added AGM batteries going from 92ah to 700ah,

LIKED AGM 700ah, is that 6, 7, or 8 batteries and where do you store them?

No more power mods. What is or was a power mod?
You da man...can you ball park what all of this would cost? If you did the labor yourself estimate dealer hours at $180 each. I didn't think it was even feasible to go 30 amp to 50 amp service? I am gonna start the bid price at $10,000
Old 04-24-2021, 01:24 AM   #37

THOR #20784
I spent about $650 and 10 labor hours for a total 30 to 50 amp conversion. It was a scary job but worked without even a blown breaker.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:26 AM   #38

THOR #20784
I have 7 AGM batteries.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:41 AM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
I spent about $650 and 10 labor hours for a total 30 to 50 amp conversion. It was a scary job but worked without even a blown breaker.

Quote:
I have 7 AGM batteries.

That is about 350 pounds more than normal but wow!!! I have not installed my two new AGMs yet. I have no place for even a 3rd
Old 04-24-2021, 02:00 AM   #40

THOR #20784
I took over a previously empty compartment for the latest 3 batteries. It is less than 24” from the batteries under the stairs. I have room for a couple more if needed. Obviously weight is always a concern. But currently i am well within my gross weight.