Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thor said use regular battery that came with coach

I asked thor customer service about battery replacement and they go with what came with the coach. Representative said no to AGM.
SINCE I am looking at a reasonable solar and min 2000 watt inverted, to save money can I just use my working fine standard coach batteries or why do I see so many lithium battery changes on our discussion group?

Under warranty till September do I leave batteries same ?

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Lithium is the yuppy thing to do if you have money burning a hole in your pocket or actually boon dock a lot

AGM comes as standard on many vehicles and on all my newer Fords. So nothing is wrong with AGM except the higher price. Somone is misleading you perhaps a tad bit.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Your Converter / Charger is the limiting factor when it comes to battery selection..... as well a budget. Lithium Batteries would require you to replace your Converter / Charger with one designed to charge Lithium Batteries.

You stock WFCO Converter can handle flooded or AGM batteries but it won't support GEL (a variant of AGM).

AGM's are maintenance free so as long as they are charged properly, they are a good choice if you have the money. But I would not replace the stock batteries until they were showing signs of needing replacement..... unless you can use them for another application.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Judge s right: run the OEM batteries until they need replacing first...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
in over 6 years and 110,000 miles, and with 100-200watts of solar, and a large 2,000w inverter, I've never had any issues with 'normal' everyday deep-discharge golf cart style 6v batteries. The original 'factory' batteries lasted 5 years. I replaced them only due to one having a low cell that started creating issues, with Duracell brand from Sam's club/Batteries+Bulbs, at $99 each. I see NO reason to spend SO MUCH money on other types of batteries, especially for most any RVr who just needs what most other RVrs need - 12v power for everyday normal usage, solar or not.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I replaced the OEM no name batteries in my new Axis with Group 31 AGMs, mostly for more capacity but also no maintenance issues. They were $200 WindyNations from Amazon.

As others have said, lithium batteries are a bit of a cult thing but also give more usable amp hours for dry camping and faster charging (but only if you upgrade the converter). You can put two G31s in the under the step space and get 180 Ahs usable vs 75 Ahs usable with the OEMs or 100 Ahs usable with G31 AGMs. Golf cart batteries which are a great low cost solution will not fit under the steps.

And there is nothing wrong with AGMs. Thor customer service is flat wrong about that.

David
Old 04-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
I just replaced our batteries with four Trojan T105's from Batteries+Bulbs. The old ones started off gassing heavy and two had a slight case bulge. I had watched a bunch of YouTube videos about AGM and Lithium. If I was boondocking for weeks I would look at them but not for how we use our motorhome.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I asked thor customer service about battery replacement and they go with what came with the coach. Representative said no to AGM.
SINCE I am looking at a reasonable solar and min 2000 watt inverted, to save money can I just use my working fine standard coach batteries or why do I see so many lithium battery changes on our discussion group?

Under warranty till September do I leave batteries same ?
I don’t know why the representative told you NO to AGM Batteries. I have a 2019 Hurricane34j and I had the two house batteries replaced with AGM. The chassis battery was already an AGM battery from Thor.
I have installed two 210 Watt solar panels on the roof. I upgraded the solar controller to a dual battery Go Power 30 amp Bluetooth controller. Charges both house and chassis batteries.
LITHIUM BATTERIES would be great if you can afford them. However you need to change the AC/dc converter, the BIM, the alternator and all batteries to run lithium batteries. $$$$$
Old 04-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Unfortunately the several brands of 6v batteries I looked at did not fit inside the Vegas/Axis standard “under the steps” location.
Also looked at Lithium but refused to trash a perfectly good WFCO Converter Charger

I purchased two Costco Interstate 12v Flooded Lead Acid in Sep-18
They’re still running really strong with my 300 watt solar + 30amp PWM charge controller + AIMs 1200/2000 Inverter.

That’s the avenue I’d recommend
Old 04-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If you are going to be off grid more than on grid I would use the batteries you have while saving up for a new converter and Battle Born lithium. If you are getting solar but still plan on being in campgrounds with service I would go with whatever Costco or Sam's Club has on sale.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
...cut...

LITHIUM BATTERIES would be great if you can afford them. However you need to change the AC/dc converter, the BIM, the alternator and all batteries to run lithium batteries. $$$$$
I'm sorry, but this statement is partially incorrect. You do not have to change out the alternator. You do have to change out the BIM.

While changing out the converter is 'not' required, I highly recommend it. The below reference mentions the factory CC will only charge lithium to 85-90%. I would not recommend putting heavy draws on batteries that are only 85-90% of capacity, regardless.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=31
Old 04-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #12

THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I'm sorry, but this statement is partially incorrect. You do not have to change out the alternator. You do have to change out the BIM.

While changing out the converter is 'not' required, I highly recommend it. The below reference mentions the factory CC will only charge lithium to 85-90%. I would not recommend putting heavy draws on batteries that are only 85-90% of capacity, regardless.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=31
I have read a lot reference the charging system when you switch to lithium batteries. Some state you MAY need to change the alternator if it does not produce the correct charging voltage of at least 14.4 volts.
The key word is MAY need to change.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #13

THOR #12189
Quote:
I have read a lot reference the charging system when you switch to lithium batteries. Some state you MAY need to change the alternator if it does not produce the correct charging voltage of at least 14.4 volts.
The key word is MAY need to change.
Thanks for the clarification. The original statement read like it was a 'must'.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:44 PM   #14

THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Thanks for the clarification. The original statement read like it was a 'must'.
My bad I should have put MAY need to change in my first post.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #15

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
In my research on batteries, controllers and solar, IHMO if you have a lot of money to spend the lithium is the way to go but bang for your buck AGM or sealed lead acid are what I will be changing to when my current batteries give up. I only had the OEM Harris batteries in use for a month before they failed, Thor did pay for the replacements which were deep cycle from NAPA which have worked great and will stay with them for now.
Coveman2
Old 04-11-2021, 06:24 PM   #16

THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
In my research on batteries, controllers and solar, IHMO if you have a lot of money to spend the lithium is the way to go but bang for your buck AGM or sealed lead acid are what I will be changing to when my current batteries give up. I only had the OEM Harris batteries in use for a month before they failed, Thor did pay for the replacements which were deep cycle from NAPA which have worked great and will stay with them for now.
Coveman2
When I picked up my new Hurricane34j it had two wet cell Cheap batteries as the house batteries. It did have a NAPA The Legend AGM chassis battery.
I had camping world replace the 2 house batteries with Roadhawk (DEKA)AGM batteries. After a lot of research I found that the Roadhawk AGM Batteries and the Napa AGM battery are made by EAST PENN
Batteries. Roadhawk is the Camping World brand name. They also make DEKA, DURRACELL, DIE HARD, AND MANY OTHER BRAND NAMES. They are one of the largest battery companies and they are made in the USA.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I asked thor customer service about battery replacement and they go with what came with the coach.
What else would they tell you? "We put the cheapest, crapiest batteries we could find in your coach so just about any replacement you buy will be a step up"?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
People complain about the batteries Thor installs. The OEM batteries in our Challenger were still going strong when we traded that rig in 5 years after purchase. We never had a problem with then dying on us.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #19

THOR #12189
Quote:
When I picked up my new Hurricane34j it had two wet cell Cheap batteries as the house batteries. It did have a NAPA The Legend AGM chassis battery.
I had camping world replace the 2 house batteries with Roadhawk (DEKA)AGM batteries. After a lot of research I found that the Roadhawk AGM Batteries and the Napa AGM battery are made by EAST PENN
Batteries. Roadhawk is the Camping World brand name. They also make DEKA, DURRACELL, DIE HARD, AND MANY OTHER BRAND NAMES. They are one of the largest battery companies and they are made in the USA.
I'll second that. A guy from our local RC field retired from Johnson Controls. He said the Batteries came down the line and all they did was slap different stickers on them. Being skeptical, I checked into it and low and behold: https://www.cartechbooks.com/blogs/techtips/battery

Soooo, an everstart from walmart is likely the same as a duracell.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:29 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Lithium is the yuppy thing to do if you have money burning a hole in your pocket or actually boon dock a lot.
Whether Lithium batteries are worth the cost depends upon both how you camp and what equipment and appliances you have. Our RV has a compressor refrigerator and that alone is enough to eat up 60 AH overnight; more if it is warm. Add to that watching DVDs on the TV and using some other small electric appliances and you need more than what you get with a standard pair of wet cell batteries. If we are not in a park that has shore power it is very easy for us to have batteries well below the minimum recommended, and hence our change to Lithium batteries.

We are not yuppies, nor do I have money burning a hole in my pocket. We are retired folks living on a budget, and we camp rather than go to hotels and restaurants when we travel, and the Lithium batteries make it possible for us to do so when we are dry camping or boondocking.

If, on the other hand, you camp where you have shore power, then I think there is generally no reason for anything beyond the batteries that come with the RV.