Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3558
Compartment door latch stuck shut/broke

Have a 2016 Outlaw Class A.

Compartment door latch is broken and can't open it. I can drill it out to get in but I'm looking for a part number for a replacement.

Also, on the new one can I swap in the old key or will it be keyed different forever?

Old 10-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The keys are all the same.
Chances are your latch is corroded and can be persuaded to open with some PBBlaster through the key slot and around the cylinder, some mechanical agitation, and some repeated twisting force.

The cylinder uses a ball bearing and spring assembly detent mechanism and the ball bearing corrodes and won't push the spring in as you turn the cylinder. The above procedure may get you past that problem so you can disassemble, clean and lube the cylinder assembly.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

THOR #3558
Not sure about that...........the latch just flops around when unlocked. I suspect the issue is that screw that holds the latch together on the inside has come loose or fallen out.

With a key the lock turns freely and locks the handle.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well, that would be the other failure mechanism. I assumed you had the simple 90 degree key locks but it sound like you have slam latches and the latch internals have stopped cooperating?

I don't know if they use the same universal CH751 key as the other style latches.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #5

THOR #3558
I'm just too lazy to walk out and look at the key number. LOL

I'll get it sorted out. I can always pull another latch for a part number search
Old 10-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #6

THOR #3558
It has that purple key
Old 10-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #7

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
We had same thing,2 different latches . I opened the door ahead of the stuck door so I could get to the hinge bolts of stuck door and removed them and stuck door comes right off. After removing the latch I found the screw the holds the pivot point of latch had backed out enough the it allowed the handle to move without operating the latch,I tightened the screw and all was good. Reinstalled door all good,but when it happened again to a different latch,did the same thing and found same screw had backed out,so I went back and put lock tight on that screw on all latches all good ever since . You can also call Thor they can give you part number,and maybe a free replacement latch.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #8

THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
We had same thing,2 different latches . I opened the door ahead of the stuck door so I could get to the hinge bolts of stuck door and removed them and stuck door comes right off. After removing the latch I found the screw the holds the pivot point of latch had backed out enough the it allowed the handle to move without operating the latch,I tightened the screw and all was good. Reinstalled door all good,but when it happened again to a different latch,did the same thing and found same screw had backed out,so I went back and put lock tight on that screw on all latches all good ever since .
I can get to the latch side of this one, not the hinge side. I think I can shear off the screws that hold the latch and get into it. I'll try this before I drill a hole in it and have to buy another one.

Then.........I'll pull all the other ones and clean, lube and lock tight them
Old 10-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #9

THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
We had same thing,2 different latches . I opened the door ahead of the stuck door so I could get to the hinge bolts of stuck door and removed them and stuck door comes right off. After removing the latch I found the screw the holds the pivot point of latch had backed out enough the it allowed the handle to move without operating the latch,I tightened the screw and all was good. Reinstalled door all good,but when it happened again to a different latch,did the same thing and found same screw had backed out,so I went back and put lock tight on that screw on all latches all good ever since . You can also call Thor they can give you part number,and maybe a free replacement latch.
This^^^^^^^

Opened door next to it. Could see screw heads holding latch. Used a chisel to remove them. Put some red locktite on the offending screw on the back of the handle. Reassembled and all good now.

I will do the locktite and lock lube to all the others before they get me.