Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Illinois
THOR #7085
last Sept., we were in Mitchell, SD and the slide out wouldn't retract. the THOR person on the 800 line talked us thru the entire process and stayed on the line with us til we pulled out of the campground.Thumbs up to those folks...in fact, we ordered a 2018 Miramar last week.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #22

Model: Challenger 36FD
State: South Dakota
THOR #3324
Cool Not a 100% but I'll take it.

Thanks again everybody.

Here's the story.

Johnson, technician from J&J Truck service showed up on time.

I described the problem, showed him where the hydraulic pump was and got out of his way. Five minutes later, maybe less, he comes in and asks me to try the slide.

It WORKS! And the slide is in. What did you do I asked, jiggled this and that he says.

OK, great right? Let's test it again and out goes the slide. Great, let's bring it back in, get the jacks up and hit the road. Nope. Slide won't budge and jacks are still down.

Was able to get Lippert manual online, focused on jacks since that's all the manual addresses and tried the manual overrides. Two power drill batteries later, nothing.

Put things back together and he continued to prod and jiggle until things worked. Seriously.

So my last question to Johnson was so, what did you do? He shows me the two valve hoses that he squeezed together and says that's all I did.

Two and a half hours later the slide is in, the jacks are up. Staying that way till we get to Rapid.

Would it be weird to wish things don't work when we settle in? Just to get a real fix?

The are a couple of very good RV technicians who service the Hart Ranch customers, I will contact them and post an update when there is some actual resolution.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #23

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Hate those kinds of problems. We had a door awning, that sometimes would work, sometimes not, sometimes and inch or two per attempt. Fought that for at least four years on our previous DP, never did find the problem. Traded it in, awning was working then.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
It sounds like it has an air leak in the line. Squeezing applies enough pressure somewhere to stop the air leak long enough for it to start working.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #25

Model: Challenger 36FD
State: South Dakota
THOR #3324
Greetings from Dalhart TX, just for the night. Jacks and slide staying put.

Air leak makes a lot of sense because in our attempts at doing things manually, we did open the valves and who knows maybe some air bubbles escaped. Spoken as a neophyte.

By the way I did find a number of videos on Youtube published by Thor. Interesting.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:46 AM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Rather than an air leak it sounds like you may have a bad spool valve in the pump assembly. Squeezing the line forces fluid in the other direction is what retracted the jacks. If the spool valve sticks part way the fluid will just recirculate in a circle and build pressure on either side.

Tags
hydraulic pump, jacks down, wall slide out