Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36FD
State: South Dakota
THOR #3324
Exclamation Jacks down AND slide out

Here we are stranded in Gallup NM on our way to South Dakota from Arizona.. Uneventful arrival.

Today we wanted to get an early start because of the threat of high winds beginning in the afternoon. It was not to be.

When we tried to retract the wall slide, the looong one on the driver side on our 2012 Challenger 36FD, it came in about 2 inches and stopped. After several attempts out/in/out we were able to help the slide back out by pushing it while depressing the switch.

After that it never moved again, in or out, despite the fact that we could hear the hydraulic pump working whenever we tried the switch.

On a hunch, not sure why, because it's also hydraulic? I decided to raise the jacks. No go.

With every attempt we insured parking brake is applied; engine is running; mind you we are still connected to shore power; still and knowing it really would be meaningless because of switch over, I started the genset. Still nothing.

Checked the house batteries, 2 six volts in series, 14.4 volts.

Did I mention it's Sunday?

Tried Internet searches most of the day. Thor manual is of no help in finding fuses, circuit breakers ...

Help please.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Don't know if this will help you but we discovered 2 interlocks on our ACE today: Neither the awning nor the slide will move if the coach is running.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 AM   #3

THOR #3324
Thanks for the reply. On our coach the criteria are in Park, Brake on, Engine running if not the little "green go" light on control panel never come on.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:13 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Do the levelers do anything at all. Any error message?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 AM   #5

THOR #3324
No everything looks good on panel.
In auto mode pushing retract all and in manual mode holding down retract all produces only action at the hydraulic pump (just below driver window) nothing at all at jacks.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #6

THOR #3324
A note to readers seeking to help. The level in the hydraulic fluid tank is about 2 inches. I am assuming it's OK because it's all in the hoses holding things where they are, right?
Old 04-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #7

THOR #4488
I assume your slides are electric, not hydraulic so I don't see how they can be related.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:49 AM   #8

THOR #4488
This may sound stupid, but are you sure the "in use" switch is on. If I am correct and your slides are electric then the only thing they have in common with your jacks is they both use electric from your batteries. You said your battery monitor showed 14.4, but was that while hooked up to electricity or your motor running? If so that is not an accurate reading of your batteries. If your switch was inadvertently set to store then your batteries could be too low to operate the slides and the jacks (jacks are hydraulic but still need juice). Anyway, just a thought. I wish you luck. Let us know what you discover.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:18 AM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #4593
Slides: check to make sure you don't have a disconnected wire at the slide controller. Happened to me last trip.
Jacks: look for two high-voltage breakers in/near the battery compartment and maybe another under the hood. Look around. They are black with a red or yellow lever on them. Rest them and try again. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:43 AM   #10

THOR #3324
Slide is hydraulic for sure. You are right about the battery testing, it was connected to shore power, will recheck in the morning. Thanks for the reply and the good wishes. I'll post when there is a resolution.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:47 AM   #11

THOR #3324
Wish I knew if I even have a slide controller much less where it is. I have absolutely no documentation on it. I left a message at Thor. Hopefully there will be a suggestion on the brand/model.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:50 AM   #12

THOR #4593
My slide controller is in a compartment under the coach on the drivers side, mounter on a wall. Look in every compartment, cabinet, etc. Also check breakers - mine are at the foot of the bed. Reset them all.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:53 AM   #13

THOR #3324
Good advice. It will take a while. Coach is packed to the gills for Summer in the Black Hills. We work camp @ Hart Ranch in Rapid City.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:05 AM   #14

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumster View Post
Slides: check to make sure you don't have a disconnected wire at the slide controller. Happened to me last trip.
Jacks: look for two high-voltage breakers in/near the battery compartment and maybe another under the hood. Look around. They are black with a red or yellow lever on them. Rest them and try again. Good luck!
I've just registered on this forum mainly to give heartfelt thanks to you Drumster for the guidance you gave above. My wife, Sue, and I have been snowbirding since early January in the southwest and are now heading back home - but first attending the FCOC rally here in Mesa AZ.

We pulled into the Goodlife campground, backed into the assigned slot and attempted to put down the leveling legs. The process was not quite completed when the hydraulic pump gave up working. I could not get the legs to retract but thought well that's close enough, I'll put the slides out. No go: the slide ready light is off and none of the hydraulics are working. So I call for help from the rally organizers and they promise to send a tech. round. (The Freightliner crew are here already)

The technical info given by Thor with the coach is sadly lacking any deep detail so, in the meantime, I went to my friend Google and quickly came upon this forum and your post above. I found two of those breakers - one with the house batteries, the other with the chassis batteries. Once reset, everything was good - the slides are out and we can move about.

I don't know why they tripped since the engine was running. However, the ambient temp was 100deg so heat may have played a part.

Many thanks, once again, for your help.

Martin
Old 04-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #15

State: California
THOR #7060
On our Vegas there is a manual switch on the fuse control panel to put slide in if there's an issue. By chance have you checked that? We have Good Sam insurance, they are wonderful in any kind of a jam
Old 04-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #16

THOR #4593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
I've just registered on this forum mainly to give heartfelt thanks to you Drumster for the guidance you gave above. My wife, Sue, and I have been snowbirding since early January in the southwest and are now heading back home - but first attending the FCOC rally here in Mesa AZ.

We pulled into the Goodlife campground, backed into the assigned slot and attempted to put down the leveling legs. The process was not quite completed when the hydraulic pump gave up working. I could not get the legs to retract but thought well that's close enough, I'll put the slides out. No go: the slide ready light is off and none of the hydraulics are working. So I call for help from the rally organizers and they promise to send a tech. round. (The Freightliner crew are here already)

The technical info given by Thor with the coach is sadly lacking any deep detail so, in the meantime, I went to my friend Google and quickly came upon this forum and your post above. I found two of those breakers - one with the house batteries, the other with the chassis batteries. Once reset, everything was good - the slides are out and we can move about.

I don't know why they tripped since the engine was running. However, the ambient temp was 100deg so heat may have played a part.

Many thanks, once again, for your help.

Martin

Really glad the info helped! I, too, found myself in a similar situation a few weeks ago and researched the issue on the web; found this answer. RV folks are very helpful!!

As for the cause, I suspect mine tripped from vibration - we had driven 2 days on some really crappy roads (Louisiana, your highways are pathetic!).

Cheers!

Drumster
Old 04-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #17

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Drumster, roads In La that are bad I-10? How about 49? going through that area in 3 weeks.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #18

THOR #3324
A message to all. Thanks for trying to help. It was most appreciated to be able to chat with like minded folks who understand what a problem like this represents when you are talking about your 'home'.
On the bright side, I was able to get into Customer Service at Thor, no wait time whatsoever. Spoke with Rodney, who pulled the rig's records and concluded that based on my description of the problem, the issue is with the hydraulic pump. There is a trucking outfit in town recommended by USA RV park management who is sending a technician within the hour.
If nothing else at this time let's say I'm very hopeful.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #19

State: California
THOR #7060
So glad to hear this. All of us at one time or another will or will have an issue so I'm glad you shared this snd am happy you will have a solution soon. My husband and I had an issue with our awning not retracting so yes we were stranded. It took a while and we sweated it out and low and behold the awning eventually went in so we could take off. Take care and ride on!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #20

State: Washington
THOR #7217
If you have a long slide out, there is a equalizer in storage compartment on drivers side. Disconnect & with about 3 people you can shove slide in, then reconnect wires & that will set brake. Don't know about jacks. Good luck.

Tags
hydraulic pump, jacks down, wall slide out