Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
January 15, 2018 Safety Recall on Fire Extinguishers

Please note I just received Safety REcall 17V-758 for the Kidde Fire Extinguishers. It relates to certain TMC from 2003 thru 2018. Go to the Kidde website at Kidde Fire Safety Products: Shop Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Fire Extinguishers for instructions on how to inspect your fire extinguisher to see if yours is bad. Also listed the Kidde phone number as 1-855-262-3540.
Apparently the extinguisher can become cloged requiring excessive pressure to use and may fail to discharge. Also nozzle can detach...not good.
Please take time to check yours out, I remember something similiar being discussed on this Forum a year or two ago...BUT THIS RECALL IS NEW.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #2

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I received mine today, was puzzled on why I would get a recall from Thor Corp, when I have a Jayco. Then it dawned on me that Thor bought Jayco. Checking my extinguisher, it a\was made by First Alert, so I'm good for now. Now to get the backup camera and steps to work.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:49 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
This recall has been going on for months. Go to the Kidd site, put in your model/serial and it will tell you if your model is recalled. This not only for what came with your rv, but all others you might have purchased as well. Kidd sends you a new one and a return label for the old one. I had two.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:32 AM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I tried to file online at the website. But it did not like the date code I entered. So I have to wait for Monday to call them.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:32 AM   #5

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
I got my notice yesterday, went to the Kidde website and entered the requested information, and confirmed that my fire extinguisher is part of the recall. Now I'll wait for the replacement a
to arrive and send the original back to Kidde in the prepaid box.
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I called Kidde, today, and sure enough the extinguisher supplied in our coach is part of their recall, so they are sending a replacement to me. Its amazing to me, this company has been building extinguishers for many years. They need to stop trying to find cheaper ways to manufacture them, and I believe these came from China, which explains a lot.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #7

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Laco,

You are having better luck than I have had. I did not have the manufactured date earlier and now their system is been down. I'll try again "in about an hour".

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since my rig is at the Dealership: I notified them of it, and they're taking care of it for me.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Laco,

You are having better luck than I have had. I did not have the manufactured date earlier and now their system is been down. I'll try again "in about an hour".

Doc
When you talk to them, they will want from the extinguisher, the model number, date off the bottom of it, the serial number, and the vin# for your coach. It took me about fifteen minutes listening to music on hold, than another 10 minutes with the Rep.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #10

State: Idaho
THOR #10270
Kidde Extinguisher and Recall

So called into Kidde and after wait found their "systems" were down and they couldn't help me, need to call back. Be that as it may, had already purchased a second unit for our Thor Palazzo 33.4 but it was a First Alert. It was only about $20 and has an all metal valve and spout on it. Have it in back which is close to the washer/dryer and of course in area of diesel pusher motor. Really like the First Alert from a quality standpoint. Going into a new home, so plan to see if we can find a 5# or 10# First Alert model for the area of the utility room/kitchen area. Guess when the Kidde replacement eventually comes will put it back by the door where the recall model is now.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #11

State: Idaho
THOR #10270
Yes, and 37 million units on recall -- say again how much you saved building in China?????
Old 01-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
It's a pretty easy process to get a replacement if you have an affected extinguisher.

Just go to the Kidde Fire Safety Products: Shop Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Fire Extinguishers website and open the pdf file for your fire extinguisher. You need to check your extinguisher and record the Model Number, Serial Number and the Date of Manufacture code number (on mine was a 10 digit code). You fill out the form and when you submit the info it will tell you if the extinguisher is affected or not. If affected, Kidde will send you a new fire extinguisher to the address you filled out on the form. You also need to provide the VIN of your RV.

You can do it all online -- took me about 5 minutes.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
At least Thor is smart ••get the fire extinguisher fixed on a recall before your door lock cracks and you're locked in your unit with a bad fire extinguisher...A door lock that should also be RECALLED...
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Fast turn around by Kiddie. I did the replacement info online last Monday and received the new one Friday. Very easy process, glad to see Kiddie on top of the issue.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #15

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Had to make the phone call and wait.......the online process wasn't taking input. Customer rep said I'm not the only one having trouble with the web site. Replacement in the mail so to speak. Should receive in 7 days.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Did mine online. Said it would be shipped in 10 to 15 days.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #17

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Little different story here. Had 4 total that I was told were recalled. Turned all in to them via system or phone. 3 have been replaced. 1 was still on back order from 11/9/17.
Called yesterday to check on. I was told this one was not affected. I told lady exactly like one u already replaced because was affected. She said "well that was a mistake and should not have been replaced"!!! She also told me u should replace every 4 years. Instructions on extinguisher says every 12 years.
So, 2 things: 1)leaves me confused 2) do not trust Kidde at all since the information they are giving out shows they can't be trusted.
I'll replace the unit, but it will not be a Kidde!!!
Good luck to all of us since I'm not sure they know what will work and what won't. I know 30-40 million units is a lot but u should at least know where serial numbered items were built and when. That's what a serial no does, allows tracking. Oh well, God be w us all if/when we need them, maybe they'll work in a life or death situation. Thx, Dennis.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I got the recall but mine was not affected. It did however make me check and I found mine was too old so I replaced it. Probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Ernie View Post
Did mine online. Said it would be shipped in 10 to 15 days.
Already received my new extinguisher. Hope the rest of you get yours as quickly
Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Ernie View Post
Already received my new extinguisher. Hope the rest of you get yours as quickly
I had a smooth transition and received my replacement within 2 weeks. Great return policy too. I also had my home extinguisher replaced as it was also affected. Take a look at any Kidde home extinguishers too.