Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2022, 09:47 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Just Wax It!!! No Excuses

This is 2019 RV, it is parked outside in the Texas Sun and heat under a Cedar Elm tree; that shed leaves twice a year; along with pollen and little sap. It is parked North & South; so the sides get the morning sun East and the evening gets the West sun.

No Cover, No Storage fees; No $15k Automotive Paint job; just 5 hrs total wax time which includes washing, the roof and about $20 of waxes.

Step 1. Wash with RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax
Step 2. Use Meguiars #83 Mirror Glaze Meguiars and #56 Pure Marine RV Wax.

I only used my speed buffer in open areas opting to do the curves, tight areas, or anywhere near a decal by hand. Next week, when the wax is settle, I will treat the decals with 303 Protectant (10 minutes)

Note: I have been waxing this RV twice a year since purchased brand new, this is my 5th application.

This is noteworthy for me, because a faded dull finish was one of my biggest worry when looking at new RVs. I saw new RVs on the lots with decals already cracking. I read all the time from RV owners complaining about the quality of finish from factory. I don't know how long this will last or if ever goes dull, but Lord willing I intend find out But right now; we can pencil 3 years in as a material fact.

Hopefully this may motivate someone. I don't think it matters so much as to which products you use, or whether you do it yourself or pay someone;

Just Do It

Note: If you look close enough at first picture, you can see the morning Sun rising above the flares putting an added emphasis on Sunstar.
Also; the 1st picture on the bottom places emphasis on what is meant by a Mirror Glaze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_070044.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	37592   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_123001.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	37596  

Name:	20220519_123033.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	37597   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_123159.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	37598  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:25 PM   #2

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Nice work

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:31 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Yes, if you keep after it and chase any oxidation with wax or spray on wax, you can keep that show room look.

This is after 2 yrs. The black takes a little more effort, but shines up nicely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-04-29_15-00-11.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	37599  
Old 05-19-2022, 11:27 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Yup, a little wash and wax keeps the rig looking fine. It's not rocket science.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:04 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
X2. I agree
Old 05-20-2022, 01:18 AM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Yes, if you keep after it and chase any oxidation with wax or spray on wax, you can keep that show room look.

This is after 2 yrs. The black takes a little more effort, but shines up nicely.

One of my points and a luxury I had is that I bought it brand new; waxed it when I finally got it home to Dallas from Florida; so I have yet to see any oxidation If I ever do, I suspect it might be on the fiberglass roof or the transition roof end caps (front & rear)? To which case, I may have to switch to some type of oxidization treatment or restorer, but let's hope that day never comes. 10 hrs of my time per year to keep it this way divided up in the Spring and Fall.

I love the black finish on your RV I feel like if they had had that color when I was shopping the ACE's and Windsports back in 2019, I may have bought one anyway despite my differences with the Dealers. As might imagine the Full Body Paint options were intriguing to me. I never could rationalize to justify the $20k - $30k increase in price. I prefer to just protect my automotive like finish Ironically even with Full Body Paint, you will have the same problem unless you wax and protect it. It will just take longer to dull or fade, and you can get by with one wax per year.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-20-2022, 01:32 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
If you knew the calculations I had to make to time the job to finish (given my labor resources) such that when the clouds would clear to capturing the Sun as it rose to be in position and be impacted by the moon's lunar orbit to capture the picture; you might think differently. Not to mention the aerospace surface properties gained that reduces wind drag and friction while driving. At the price of gas now being around $300/tank the ROI has payback in 3 months.

I agree 100% a little wash and wax will keep the rig looking vibrant. It is work that should be done by someone or paid for at minimum once / year. If years have been missed or lost, it may take a professional to restore.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:03 AM   #8

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
This is 2019 RV, it is parked outside in the Texas Sun and heat under a Cedar Elm tree; that shed leaves twice a year; along with pollen and little sap. It is parked North & South; so the sides get the morning sun East and the evening gets the West sun.

No Cover, No Storage fees; No $15k Automotive Paint job; just 5 hrs total wax time which includes washing, the roof and about $20 of waxes.

Step 1. Wash with RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax
Step 2. Use Meguiars #83 Mirror Glaze Meguiars and #56 Pure Marine RV Wax.

I only used my speed buffer in open areas opting to do the curves, tight areas, or anywhere near a decal by hand. Next week, when the wax is settle, I will treat the decals with 303 Protectant (10 minutes)

Note: I have been waxing this RV twice a year since purchased brand new, this is my 5th application.

This is noteworthy for me, because a faded dull finish was one of my biggest worry when looking at new RVs. I saw new RVs on the lots with decals already cracking. I read all the time from RV owners complaining about the quality of finish from factory. I don't know how long this will last or if ever goes dull, but Lord willing I intend find out But right now; we can pencil 3 years in as a material fact.

Hopefully this may motivate someone. I don't think it matters so much as to which products you use, or whether you do it yourself or pay someone;

Just Do It

Note: If you look close enough at first picture, you can see the morning Sun rising above the flares putting an added emphasis on Sunstar.
Also; the 1st picture on the bottom places emphasis on what is meant by a Mirror Glaze.
Is step 2 broken down into 2 passes? The #83 in one pass then the #56 in a 2nd pass?
Old 05-20-2022, 02:40 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmac450 View Post
Is step 2 broken down into 2 passes? The #83 in one pass then the #56 in a 2nd pass?
Great question.

In general I use the Meguiars #83 Mirror Glaze https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds when I am using my 6 Speed variable polisher or trying to clean a area of light scratches or marks. I use the Meguiars #56 https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M561...a-570021163883 when I apply by hand and around the decals, light fixtures etc.

With that said, on my front and rear end caps, I do apply both #83 1st & #56 last, and I apply both by hand. It doesn't have the automotive like finish and it transitions with the roof. It needs a little more help

To add more; in between waxes and in addition to the use of the RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax after every trip, I have spray waxes that I use to touch up. I have tried that Ceramic spray on the roof and do not like. It is easy to apply and leaves surface very slippery. It did withstand some leaves decaying on the roof and protect against black streaking, but I question the longevity & thickness for UV protection.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:01 AM   #10

THOR #24719
I've been told by auto detailers that wash and wax are the easiest things to do to preserve your auto finish.
Upgrades https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ods-28849.html
v_chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:26 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_chat View Post
I've been told by auto detailers that wash and wax are the easiest things to do to preserve your auto finish.
Absolutely. After every trip; I use my pressure washer foamer, wait one minute, brush mop, rinse and I am done. I only dry it off if I am bored.

I use the Gel Gloss RV Wash & Wax https://www.homedepot.com/p/128-oz-G...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Similar products may do the same thing, but I tried this when I 1st got my RV and fell in love with it. Nothing like the cheap stuff out of Wal Mart I use to buy all the time. Now, I use it for all the cars, boat & motorcycles. It is so good, after a while; you can take a water hose and spray one of cars with no new soap and it will sud up. You can wipe it down and rinse

I have not figured out why The Home Depot seems to have the best price on this stuff.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:03 PM   #12

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
i used the new Meguiar's Ceramic Finishes. This works great if you read the instructions. I let the stuff dry and it took a few washes to get the graphics clean again. But, now, I rinse and the RV shines.

I go over it lightly with the Meguiar's Spray Detailer or Meguiar's Wax spray.

I get comments, mine is the 2nd best shine in the RV park....

Any oxidation, i put a dab of polishing compound and buff out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-05-20_14-04-52.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	37600  
Old 05-20-2022, 08:22 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
i used the new Meguiar's Ceramic Finishes. This works great if you read the instructions. I let the stuff dry and it took a few washes to get the graphics clean again. But, now, I rinse and the RV shines.

Hey we got you beat with just rv wash and wax!!

Joking..nice job!
Old 05-20-2022, 10:50 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:

That looks nice, tell us which RV Park and PM us the strike coordinates and we may come by with RV Toilet paper rolls (I have been trying to get rid of) to ensure that by Sunday morning you got the #1 Shine in the park

Yes the detailer or wax sprays are a good bailouts. The Great Chateau Nomad and I did some experiments with the Ceramics. He stayed with it longer than I did, I never applied it on my RV other than roof and wheels. I don't have any motivation for change, I really love the Gel Gloss Wash & Wax & the Meguiar #83 & #56 waxes. It is akin to how I love my wife, I ain't gonna go for every new fling that comes along. I am sticking with what I got
Old 05-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hey we got you beat with just rv wash and wax!!

Joking..nice job!
I can't imagine anybody ever using the Gel Gloss RV Wash & Wax and NOT liking it. Once you had it; you never go back.

I drove the RV today on trip. $4.35 / gallon for gas That is record for me. It was also very windy, but I got good gas mileage and I was not blown too much. I really feel that the wax had a small impact

I am still waiting to learn how you guys deal with the rubber membrane roofs and the black streaks? Last I heard the membrane roofs are designed to shed, so having a Black Streak Cleaner in your Kit makes sense.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:37 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I gave up on the ceramic... I didn't get the shine, and it didn't seem to protect much from UV oxidation... your results may vary.

SO... dk... I put STRAIGHT RV Wash & Wax in the foamer. It's REALLY thick!! Do I dilute it with water? If so, how much? All I got was a sputter??? I'm a complete noob with the foamer... HELP!!

P.S. You wanted feedback on the Ryobi power washer... I like it a lot. Power washed the deck today including furniture, etc. The downside is the power cord needs a winder... no place to wrap it up. The unit is really portable. Have a family get together tomorrow... so hopefully if I get the foamer working I'll have an opinion on that with an RV wash next week.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:35 AM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I gave up on the ceramic... I didn't get the shine, and it didn't seem to protect much from UV oxidation... your results may vary.

Agree on Ceramic, that is what I experienced. It was certainly easier to apply. But I am laser focused on being able to crow about my finish year after year knowing very well that I will have it outside and fully abused in the elements. If my RV ever dulls or oxidizes, it will be my fault.

SO... dk... I put STRAIGHT RV Wash & Wax in the foamer. It's REALLY thick!!
Yes

Do I dilute it with water? No If so, how much? All I got was a sputter??? I'm a complete noob with the foamer... HELP!! Your foamer should have a knob to adjust the air mix / ration. When you spray it should be suds all over a dry surface. Don't rinse the RV before applying the foamer. Diluting is not in your favor. Maybe attach a picture of your foamer? If it does not have mix knob, that is your problem.

P.S. You wanted feedback on the Ryobi power washer... I like it a lot. Power washed the deck today including furniture, etc. The downside is the power cord needs a winder... no place to wrap it up. The unit is really portable. Have a family get together tomorrow... so hopefully if I get the foamer working I'll have an opinion on that with an RV wash next week.
I am hoping my Stanley 2150 last long enough for Ryobi to have a stronger 40v Pressure washer. I have plenty of 40v Ryobi batteries.

When I get back home next week, if not resolved, I will add a picture of Foamer. It should work on your unit for sure.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:00 AM   #18

THOR #13058
Foam Cannon ( Stanley)

Here is my Stanley 2150 Cannon

The red knob is where you adjust the mix ratio, mine is normally in the middle. The video is good to show what it should look like. I break it up in sections. The guy in video is spraying too much, but he is trying to film. I am gonna cut him some slack because he did good job otherwise.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:27 AM   #19

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Tool Daily Foam Cannon with 1/4 Inch Quick Connector, 1 Liter, 5 Pressure Washer Nozzle Tips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HC898GM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This is the foamer I bought. Yes I futzed with it some, but I was kind of in a hurry with the honey-do list, so I had to move on. I'll give it another try this coming week.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #20

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

SO... dk... I put STRAIGHT RV Wash & Wax in the foamer. It's REALLY thick!! Do I dilute it with water? If so, how much? All I got was a sputter??? I'm a complete noob with the foamer... HELP!!

Curious, which Ceramic product did you try, and how did you apply it?