Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Hardly worth the time and money and a pain in the ass to clean. In my younger days I have used a few but now days it is all about enjoying my motorhome and the small increase in performance is hardly worth the trouble. I like to be able to take out the paper filter and throw it in the garbage and not have to fool with the oil and cleaning of the K&N. I also like quiet and the K&N will definitely create more noise.
Hardly worth the time and money. (Its my time and money,,, no wories)

Pain in the ass to clean, (Its apparent you don't own the Axis, This mod will make life easer with extra HP!)

In my younger days I have used a few but now days it is all about enjoying my motor home, (Extra fiber my help)

small increase in performance is hardly worth the trouble. (Increase 14.48 of HP / Torque 22.39 Ill take it)

I also like quiet and the K&N will definitely create more noise. (It’s a Gasser if I was worried about engine noise I would of bought a Pusher)

Old 07-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #24089
Dear Thor -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
In the United States, in order for the manufacturer of a warranted product to void or deny warranty coverage of a repair due to the use of an aftermarket part, the manufacturer must provide proof that the aftermarket part is the cause of the necessary repair. These rights are protected under the Consumer Products Warranty Act of 1975 (also referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).
I believe you missed my properly oiled comment - THE LOOPHOLE against a K&N. Most owners over oil their filter, subsequently coating various sensors, MAF, O2, TPS etc... An over-oiled K&N will clog itself up and perhaps sensors. An under oiled K&N will provide LESS FILTRATION, hence also violating Ford's warranty, since it wouldnt meet micron / particle level filtration comparable to the OEM filter that was sold with it. In any case, I see Ford winning any of these warranty claim cases thrown in front of them.

The 5-Star tune adds 100lbs of torque to the V-10 and cures it's high shift point issues / revving. I LOVE mine. I built a 4x4 Sportsmobile that had a V-10. The 5-star worked great then, but, I able to make changes in shift points. Now, its just plug & play - perfect for the non-techy...

Folks should be more concerned about why Thor doesnt provide turn signal marker lights up in the front / sides. Talk about a safety issue. A vehicle on the side of you would never know you wanted turn into their lane... I added some on mine, but they should be required. You think anyone would miss my blinker? This, is after spending thousands in suspension upgrades just to make it roadworthy.

P.S. to THOR. You have a severely overweight transport driver who is bending the frames on the drivers seats. I'm not the only one to have to add at least a 1/4 inch spacer on the exiting side of the drivers seat. Since no complaints involve passenger seats (and they are the same part number), its obvious someone large is the culprit... JMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_134132.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	31878   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_174435.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	31879  

Name:	20181110_174436.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	31880  
Old 07-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #23

THOR #5332
I would think sway bars would be at the top of most folks list.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #24

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis25.2 View Post
I believe you missed my properly oiled comment - THE LOOPHOLE against a K&N. Most owners over oil their filter, subsequently coating various sensors, MAF, O2, TPS etc... An over-oiled K&N will clog itself up and perhaps sensors. An under oiled K&N will provide LESS FILTRATION, hence also violating Ford's warranty, since it wouldnt meet micron / particle level filtration comparable to the OEM filter that was sold with it. In any case, I see Ford winning any of these warranty claim cases thrown in front of them.

The 5-Star tune adds 100lbs of torque to the V-10 and cures it's high shift point issues / revving. I LOVE mine. I built a 4x4 Sportsmobile that had a V-10. The 5-star worked great then, but, I able to make changes in shift points. Now, its just plug & play - perfect for the non-techy...

Folks should be more concerned about why Thor doesnt provide turn signal marker lights up in the front / sides. Talk about a safety issue. A vehicle on the side of you would never know you wanted turn into their lane... I added some on mine, but they should be required. You think anyone would miss my blinker? This, is after spending thousands in suspension upgrades just to make it roadworthy.

P.S. to THOR. You have a severely overweight transport driver who is bending the frames on the drivers seats. I'm not the only one to have to add at least a 1/4 inch spacer on the exiting side of the drivers seat. Since no complaints involve passenger seats (and they are the same part number), its obvious someone large is the culprit... JMHO
5-Star tune on Thor RV gained 128 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque (at the wheels!) 7.3 V8 Godzilla engine
Old 07-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #25

THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
5-Star tune on Thor RV gained 128 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque (at the wheels!) 7.3 V8 Godzilla engine
Nice... Will be sure to get the tune if I ever have a 7.3

And yes, front and rear Hellwigs was my first weekend project. Bilsteins or similar are A MUST! These are the stock front shocks taken off my Axis days after driving it home from the dealer. BOTH shocks were shot. One, to the point is was just collapsed as I unbolted it. The second, wasnt far behind.

Again, the addition of front / rear Sumos, Bilstein's, Hellwigs, rear air bags and MOST importantly, Commercial rated tires and Caster alignment make this Axis a pleasure to drive now. 1 finger driving as compared to white knuckles...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181116_150509.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	31894   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_150426.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	31895  

Name:	20181116_150257.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	31896   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_150323.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	31897  

Old 07-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #26

THOR #24089
I see this site still can't get photo uploads right. How many years does it take?
Old 07-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #27

THOR #20274
Quote:

And yes, front and rear Hellwigs was my first weekend project. Bilsteins or similar are A MUST! These are the stock front shocks taken off my Axis days after driving it home from the dealer. BOTH shocks were shot. One, to the point is was just collapsed as I unbolted it. The second, wasnt far behind.

Again, the addition of front / rear Sumos, Bilstein's, Hellwigs, rear air bags and MOST importantly, Commercial rated tires and Caster alignment make this Axis a pleasure to drive now. 1 finger driving as compared to white knuckles...
I'm going to check the side turn signals. My son has a Chevy Tahoe and the two rear shocks were frozen, we beat them with a hammer hit then into the garage floor, how can a shock freeze solid? I have never seen that happen in 50 years. I figure GM thought that was good for cornering, no lean. I hope the wife's car never does that
Old 07-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #28

THOR #20274
Quote:

Great photos a lot of work. I was going to do that to my Jayco but I just got a different motorhome, I bet it drives much better. I may put new shocks on mine even though it rides fine because I figure Thor probably put 5 dollar shocks on them. What brand did you go with and how do they ride?
Old 07-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #29

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Where did you purchase the turn signals?
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Old 07-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #30

THOR #24089
Marker lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Where did you purchase the turn signals?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-07-2021, 04:53 PM   #31

THOR #24089
Quote:
Great photos a lot of work. I was going to do that to my Jayco but I just got a different motorhome, I bet it drives much better. I may put new shocks on mine even though it rides fine because I figure Thor probably put 5 dollar shocks on them. What brand did you go with and how do they ride?
I always go with Bilsteins. In the Axis' case, I went with the 5100 series. They made a huge difference. I call them mini-swaybars.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #32

THOR #20274
Quote:
I always go with Bilsteins. In the Axis' case, I went with the 5100 series. They made a huge difference. I call them mini-swaybars.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #33

THOR #24089
Quote:

They are / were Ford E-450 factory shocks. They were / are just severely overloaded when Thor is done with the Ford chassis. You have to stand on a Bilstein shock to get it to compress. These Ford shocks were dead with less than 50 miles from the dealer.

IMHO, folks are NUTS to buy an E-450 camper without expecting to spend approx. $5k in much needed chassis / tire improvements. I do all of my own work, so add $100hr labor costs on top of that... Ridiculous for the unsuspecting buyer.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What makes you think that?
Old 07-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #35

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
They are / were Ford E-450 factory shocks. They were / are just severely overloaded when Thor is done with the Ford chassis. You have to stand on a Bilstein shock to get it to compress. These Ford shocks were dead with less than 50 miles from the dealer.

IMHO, folks are NUTS to buy an E-450 camper without expecting to spend approx. $5k in much needed chassis / tire improvements. I do all of my own work, so add $100hr labor costs on top of that... Ridiculous for the unsuspecting buyer.
When we ordered our Quantum JM31 built on the 2021 E-450 we were planning on making mods such as sway bars, steering stabilizer, more sound proofing, etc. Now that we have it and have put some miles on it we plan to make zero mods with the exception of more insulation around the generator. The dog house is fine and the 2021 with the 7.3 is quite compared to the 7.3 we test drove built on a 2020 chassis. The steering on the 2020 felt loose but the steering on the 2021 seems fine to me and we don't plan on adding the stabilizer. Our coach does have the MorRyde so that may make a difference.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yeah... Our 2018 Outlaw 29-H handled reasonably well, and we felt no need for modifications.
Despite being WAYYYYyyyy... too overloaded!
Old 07-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #37

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yeah... Our 2018 Outlaw 29-H handled reasonably well, and we felt no need for modifications.
Despite being WAYYYYyyyy... too overloaded!
The Bobs,
I'll venture a guess that no more than 5% of E or 53 chassis' have even minor mods done to them.

There must be a point of
diminished returns,
a point of
No returns
And a point of
More equals less
When adding suspension mod on top of suspension mod.

I think this is kind of a universal rule.
Straw...camels back...yadda yadda.

New rv drivers should consider minor suspension mods, in a sequence the new driver decides, with the decision being influenced by many many other earlier driver/modifier reviews.

Do not fire the parts cannon at your suspension.
My ventured guess is 95% of folks are comfortable/not fearful of their motorhomes stock handling.

It is true how minor dollars may equal major comfort.
It is also true that
more does not always equal more.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #38

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Entirely agree. I think most folks are simply used to driving a modern automobile and find the MH to be scary because it’s so different. I believe that simply driving it for several thousand miles will be effective for most people. I did all sorts of expensive stuff on my first coach. My current machine has the CHF and a steering stabilizer and I’m entirely satisfied.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #39

THOR #5332
I want to say the majority of the folks that upgrade there RV do so to improve on, drivability, livability and just improve on the base model just like you would on automobile, UTV or home purchase.
This is the third RV we have owned, the two previous had minimal upgrades compared to our Axis, I find that because of the 2014 / 2015 years unique designs that this will be it for the foreseeable future, I have spent many hours / $$$ on upgrades / repairs. I enjoy tacking mechanical projects that has played a big roll in time money spent. I want to say that the K&N Air Upgrade will be it along with all the other updates, most recent was the SoftStartRV another worthy upgrade for boon docking with a 2200W Honda generator. Still waiting on the Magna Shade covers.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #40

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Getting back to the K and N filter debate. This guy tests all kind of things, and doesn't have an axe to grind.