Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
I replaced my engine air filter with the K&N filter because its such a ginormous PITA to replace it in the Thor Vegas 24.1, so I wanted to do this procedure less frequently. The K&N filter can be used much longer than a standard paper filter, and my time is worth a lot more than the difference in price. I have no clue if i get better mileage, its hard to tell between bad (9.5 mpg) and really bad (8.5 mpg).

Old 07-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #42

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Hahahaha... that’s funny that people would actually believe this guy!
Real scientific equipment, Keep watching crap like this and boost there views,, they are laughing all the way to the bank!
Old 07-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #43

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
Real scientific equipment, Keep watching crap like this and boost there views,, they are laughing all the way to the bank!
:facepalm

New ignore list inductee.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:31 PM   #44

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I watched some of his demos they are entertaining. I watched Engine Masters and the tested many variations of air cleaners and filters on the dyno. They took and engine on the dyno and got a base line with no filter. They then ran a stock paper filter and it lost 10hp on the dyno. Then they used a K&N and lost 1hp, so there is a difference in filters and if the box is restrictive a K&N kit would add even more horse power
Old 07-11-2021, 03:38 AM   #45
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Yes K&N will allow more air in. This is done by allowing lower blockage to the air and dirt until the filter build up a film of dirt blocking the air flow. You cannot have more air flow and a fine filter. You got to open the air passages up to get it. I have owned one and went back to the standard filter.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:17 AM   #46

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
:facepalm

New ignore list inductee.
Man, enough already....

I agree!!! Done.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #47

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #24035
KNN Air Filter

KNN air filter installed on my E450 Class C. Seasoned KNN installer followed instructions. Oil still fouled the Mass Air Flow Sensor causing spark knock. Tried cleaning the sensor and using fuel cleaners and only top tier fuel. Removed the KNN filter. Nothing worked. Replaced the sensor, runs fine, no spark knock.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #48

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
In the United States, in order for the manufacturer of a warranted product to void or deny warranty coverage of a repair due to the use of an aftermarket part, the manufacturer must provide proof that the aftermarket part is the cause of the necessary repair. These rights are protected under the Consumer Products Warranty Act of 1975 (also referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).
You are absolutely correct about the Magnuson Act......in theory. What if Ford denies your warranty claim, do yo have the money to fi their full-time legal department? I bet not.

Also, K& filters can cause issues if to much oil is applied.

Last, what the purpose of your post? You sure don't need any confirmation of your choices you made since you already know it all.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:19 AM   #49

THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
You are absolutely correct about the Magnuson Act......in theory. What if Ford denies your warranty claim, do yo have the money to fi their full-time legal department? I bet not.

Also, K& filters can cause issues if to much oil is applied.

Last, what the purpose of your post? You sure don't need any confirmation of your choices you made since you already know it all.
I’m real confused with some of these post. To much oil really? That’s kinda of basic knowledge. And it’s K&N and really folks if the engine blows up I will replace it not real concerned with warranty because I would build the motor as well..
Old 07-12-2021, 03:01 AM   #50

THOR #13744
Quote:
I’m real confused with some of these post. To much oil really? That’s kinda of basic knowledge. And it’s K&N and really folks if the engine blows up I will replace it not real concerned with warranty because I would build the motor as well..
I am not sure how long you been here or have owned an RV but rest assured that the vast majority of us (RV owners) are not into replacing their engines or try to transform their RV into some type of performance machine.

My apologies for omitting the "N" in K&N, my mistake and sorry for confusing you. Thank you for your meaningful posts.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #51

THOR #5332
Original Post:

In the process of installing new K&N air intake, thought I would poll the people and see if anyone else has installed this in the E350 chassis.

Another generic post / question that a few have answered but the majority have wandered off into the weeds.

you that have the urge to be negative because you cant afford the upgrade or just is a miserable individual should sustain, I feel when people post they are excited and generically looking for answers not getting every negative aspect of a question.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #52
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Original Post:

In the process of installing new K&N air intake, thought I would poll the people and see if anyone else has installed this in the E350 chassis.

Another generic post / question that a few have answered but the majority have wandered off into the weeds.

you that have the urge to be negative because you cant afford the upgrade or just is a miserable individual should sustain, I feel when people post they are excited and generically looking for answers not getting every negative aspect of a question.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 07-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #53

THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Example 1.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #54
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Example 1.
Doesn't recognize his mistake -
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 07-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #55

THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Doesn't recognize his mistake -
Example 2.

Keep them coming. Its real evidend you people have nothing better to do with your time in your misrible igsistances.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #56

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
What the op isn't understanding is the effort some of us put forth to save newbs from themselves.
A desk bound professional, not knowing a Phillips from a torx(my new neighbor) might not recognize the fanboy ovation, and the consequential fanboy diatribe against a view different than fanboys when they read it, newbs buy a widget, over oil said widget and get a fault code they know nothing about...in Needles California.

We try to protect them from:
Mount your spare on your ladder,
Damage an asphalt parking space without regard,
Ask forgiveness not permission,
250volt 50amp service,
Putting whoopdie sauce in their air conditioning,
And the op 'I saw it on an infomercial' reasoning.

If the op hadn't been so adamant about my laboratory test scenario being laughable, and then the op insisting on laboratory tests as being his basis, this whole thread could have gone WAY differently.

Go to irv2
Do everyone, mostly yourself, the favor.

We see both sides on this site.
And we protect us all when we can.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #57

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I've ran the K&N in several vehicles with no "Oh WOW!" noticeable increase in horsepower or fuel mileage, did notice a slight noise increase at heavy throttle & never an issue fouling sensors.
Basic physics is if you put more air in you need more air out.
I had an '05 GMC Duramax/Allison that I used the K&N while also replaced the stock exhaust with 4" front to back, this combination did see noticeable increase in power & 2-3 mpg empty & towing.
Not sure that the increase in mpg ever recouped the cost of both the upgrades in the 176k miles I drove the truck, but it ran good, towed a 16.5k lb 5th wheel with ease & sounded great.
Would I replace again with hopes of increased power & mpg........NOPE!
Would I replace for extended filter changes due to the PITA factor.........MAYBE!
If you want to add one I can't see any reason why not, it's your $$$, but don't expect gigantic increases in performance, it does not will not be the miracle cure for the low mpg on a Ford V10.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #58

THOR #13744
Quote:
Original Post:

Since you had to correct me on leaving out the N in K&N may I suggest that you check the spelling and grammar in your last paragraph?

I am kidding, you need to lighten up a bit.

You did make a lot of good improvements to your RV. The K&N filter isn't one of them IMO. But it's your money and your RV so do what makes you happy. Just don't expect everybody to give you the stamp of approval.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #59

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
You can't fix stupid.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #60

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
On a recent episode on "Engine Masters", they used one of the dyno Chevy mules (6.3 L) with 850 Holley carb to test air-cleaners. In comparison with the stock 1970 Z-28 LT-1 14x3" snorkel air cleaner with the 14" x 4" round K & N with the XStream Filter, fabric top, the K & N gained 2 ftlbs of torque @ 4600 rpm and 11 hp @ 7,100 rpm. So above 4,500 rpm there is some gain - 542 hp all the way to 553 hp.
Closed Thread