Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3558
Rear Awning not going out completely

2016 Outlaw 37RB. The rear awning, over the patio, does not go out all the way. Only a few inches and motor keeps running, it will come back in.

Has anyone taken one of these apart? What would be the likely culprit in this case? It's a Carefree awning but I don't have the RV here to get the specific model information.

Any info would help at this point.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
If under warranty take it to the dealer. If not call a mobile RV tech.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #3

THOR #3558
No warranty. I'm a do it yourself guy. I can usually fix something quicker myself and save the money.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
No warranty. I'm a do it yourself guy. I can usually fix something quicker myself and save the money.
Then google the manufacturer and print out a user manual.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

THOR #3558
Soon as I can determine the correct model that's my plan.

Thought maybe someone else here had been down that path already
Old 06-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just to clarify, are you saying the awning only comes out a few inches and stops moving, but the motor keeps running because you are holding the "out" button on?

I think that some (or all, not sure) of the Carefree motorized awnings that have the plastic drive cap on the motor end, "may" wear out (the half moon drive hole in the plastic cap can round out and the matching half moon metal drive pin shaft from the motor, winds up just starting to spin in the plastic awning drive cap). If this is the case in order to replace the plastic drive cap you need to buy the motor as well I think (ripoff).........or you might be able to swap the two end caps off the awning and use the idler end cap on the motor end to fix the situation. Of course this may not be your problem at all.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #7

THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Just to clarify, are you saying the awning only comes out a few inches and stops moving, but the motor keeps running because you are holding the "out" button on?

I think that some (or all, not sure) of the Carefree motorized awnings that have the plastic drive cap on the motor end, "may" wear out (the half moon drive hole in the plastic cap can round out and the matching half moon metal drive pin shaft from the motor, winds up just starting to spin in the plastic awning drive cap). If this is the case in order to replace the plastic drive cap you need to buy the motor as well I think (ripoff).........or you might be able to swap the two end caps off the awning and use the idler end cap on the motor end to fix the situation. Of course this may not be your problem at all.
Yea, thats what its doing. Thanks
Old 06-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Not sure if it's this forum or not, but if the motor needs replaced there's a GM power window motor that's a plug/play replacement for about a 1/3 of the price of the OEM.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
2016 Outlaw 37RB. The rear awning, over the patio, does not go out all the way. Only a few inches and motor keeps running, it will come back in.

Has anyone taken one of these apart? What would be the likely culprit in this case? It's a Carefree awning but I don't have the RV here to get the specific model information.

Any info would help at this point.

Thanks
You have a Carefree of Colorado Latitude patio awning. If the awning moves out and then back in immediately, the motor is sensing the end of travel by the amperage the motor is drawing, so the arms, roll or motor is binding somewhere. The logic unit is in the forward end of the awning under the black cap. It has five wires in and two out. There is 12 volt power to the logic unit at all times (assuming the house batteries are connected). This allows automatic retraction if the logic module detects rapid movement. There are trouble shooting advice on CoCs website.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #10

THOR #3558
Awning is Carefree Freedom Freestyle WM. It powers out about 6" and quits moving while motor still spins. Pushing the retract button brings it back in.

Carefree suggested I check the motor separate from the coach power to see if it does the same thing. If so, motor needs to be replaced. Carefree price is about $250, found a price online of about $165.

Someone here (Travelin' Texans) mentioned a car door window motor as a replacement. Anyone know that part number?
Old 06-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #11

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, I am not familiar with your Carefree awning version at all. It seems strange that you say the motor keeps running after the awning stops moving......and Carefree is saying you need a new motor......maybe the drive mechanism on your motor has been damaged somehow? As Beau advised previously.....maybe something in the awning is binding and that resulted in some gearing damage? Also as I mentioned previously on some Carefree awnings the motor side uses a plastic end cap (driven by the motor shaft) to drive the awning tube......until the motor shaft eventually rounds out the plastic drive cap. Only way to replace the plastic drive cap from Carefree is buy the motor (with end cap).....they wont sell the drive cap alone of course. In that case folks with those awnings can use the awning tube cap from the idler end and swap it with the cap on the motor end.....taking appropriate care of awning spring tension etc. I don't know if this will work on your particular version awning.

So the Dorman motor (picture of part number is attached......check Amazon.com for it), is made for certain older GM car electric windows.....but again I don't know if it will work on your particular awning.......plus if you really just need a plastic drive cap (or whatever drive mechanism your awning tube uses), you will wind up with a spare old (but new) GM electric window motor......just what everyone wants....... Sorry I can't help more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dorman Motor.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24405  
Old 06-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #12

THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, I am not familiar with your Carefree awning version at all. It seems strange that you say the motor keeps running after the awning stops moving......and Carefree is saying you need a new motor......maybe the drive mechanism on your motor has been damaged somehow? As Beau advised previously.....maybe something in the awning is binding and that resulted in some gearing damage? Also as I mentioned previously on some Carefree awnings the motor side uses a plastic end cap (driven by the motor shaft) to drive the awning tube......until the motor shaft eventually rounds out the plastic drive cap. Only way to replace the plastic drive cap from Carefree is buy the motor (with end cap).....they wont sell the drive cap alone of course. In that case folks with those awnings can use the awning tube cap from the idler end and swap it with the cap on the motor end.....taking appropriate care of awning spring tension etc. I don't know if this will work on your particular version awning.

So the Dorman motor (picture of part number is attached......check Amazon.com for it), is made for certain older GM car electric windows.....but again I don't know if it will work on your particular awning.......plus if you really just need a plastic drive cap (or whatever drive mechanism your awning tube uses), you will wind up with a spare old (but new) GM electric window motor......just what everyone wants....... Sorry I can't help more.

You have been very helpful. I will tear into it in the next few days and see what's going on. If I can swap end caps like you suggest, it would save a bunch of cash and aggravation. Again, thank you for the help