Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #24856
Dometic Duo Therm A/C trips breaker

Hello,

I am having an issue that I have isolated to my front A/C unit in my 2013 Outlaw. As soon as I turn the breaker on for this unit, it trips either the electrical breaker on the pole at the camp ground, or if I am running my generator, it trips the breaker on the side of the genset. I've had my Outlaw since 2018 and never had issues with this AC unit now. I am currently running only the rear A/C and have the front A/C breaker turned off in the main panel in the hallway of my RV. Any suggestions?

Old 09-20-2021, 12:23 AM   #2

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
The first thing to check is to make sure that the A/C is causing the breaker to trip. Make sure the A/C is off and then flip the circuit breaker. If the breaker stays on then try to start the A/C. If it trips, you are on the right track. If the breaker trips with the A/C turned off, the there is probably a short circuit on that bus.
Next step- if the breaker only trips when the A/C is turned on, doest it trip immediately when the A/C comes on or does it sit there for a few seconds before it trips?
Old 09-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #3

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #24856
trips as soon as I flip the breaker labeled front AC

I tried it again. With the thermostat off, I flipped the breaker labeled Front AC on and it trips the breaker on the electric service coming in from the campground.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawLady View Post
I tried it again. With the thermostat off, I flipped the breaker labeled Front AC on and it trips the breaker on the electric service coming in from the campground.

Well that's because the pole breaker is a weak breaker - the A/C breaker should trip first.

But you obviously have a short in the wiring to/or in the A/C control panel. Maybe a capacitor went bad and shorted. Probably best to get HVAC, Electrician, or Mobile RV repair guy to come take a look at it unless you are well versed in 120 VAC distribution and motor theory.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #5

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Yes, if it trips the breaker with the thermostat in the off position, the problem exists prior to getting to the A/C. Probably time for Electrically knowledgeable individual to investigate. My guess is that the A/C is probably okay.
Let us know what you find out.