Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #9030
Kitchen sink drain failure

During a recent trip the kitchen sink drain in my 2017 outlaw 29h broke. I discovered the problem when water leaked on the kitchen floor. The kitchen sink is in the slide out and connected to the gray water tank with a flex hose. The riser pipe from the gray water tank sheared off just below the elbow that connected the flex pipe and above a brace installed on the gray tank riser pipe. The failure was caused by the slide going in and out applying a force to the plastic riser pipe that eventually failed. The flex hose is very stiff and alternately pulled and pushed on the elbow and riser pipe. The fresh water filter was also interfering with the movement of the flex hose causing it to bend upward when the slide out was closed. I was able to glue a new elbow on the remaining part of the riser pipe. The elbow is now lower and is held in the clamp rather than above it. I also relocated the water filter giving the flex pipe several more inches of room to move and hopefully reducing the load on the gray tank fittings. I think this is a temporary fix and am searching for a less stiff flex hose that will not apply a load on the gray tank.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
YEP!!!

Kitchen slide might be a bad idea. Probably would be ok with a little more attention when they build them.

We've had our slightly used 2016 for a little over a year and have had 2 MAJOR plumbing leaks because of poor routing of the "flexible hoseS".

Sink drain was loose when we bought it .
The city water inlet broke on our first trip
Old 06-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

2018 29-H here. It seems that it's time to do some under the sink investigating...

Thanks for the warning!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We had a kitchen slide on our former DP for eleven years with zero issues. Flex lines were routed in a vertical semi-circle, so they rolled in and out as the slide moved. Kitchen and bathroom on current Gemini are not on slides, so far no problems.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:07 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I am not sure if the heater is in that slide like it is on our class c but if it is be careful where the hose gets routed. Our grey hose was just laying on the heater and let me tell you plastic doesn’t like heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09931DF8-A722-478E-AA61-ECBAA5BFFD71.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	10651  
Old 06-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Had the same drain issue, I put a rubber sleeve with hose clamps so it can move some when slide moves. Works great. Jerry
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:52 AM   #7

State: Arizona
THOR #8067
Kitchen drain hose failure

Kitchen is in the slide out of our 2014 Freedom Elite 28Z. Drain hose came off and flooded entire slide. Took it to Orangewood RV Suprise AZ. and waited two months. Missed one vacation. Had a few other little things done. Finally said enough and brought it home. Lots of excuses. Went to a swimming pool supply store and bought flexible hose. Attached it. Works pretty good. Only fell off once so far. It's a crummy set up. Makes me wonder what is going on with the gas lines to the stove. We just check it every time we slide it in or out.