Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
kitchen sink leak

We've had persistent moisture issues under the kitchen sink since we've had our 2014 ACE 29.2 that I always attributed to condensation. Lately we've found significant water under the sink (the other day our crock pot that we store there was full of water. I can't seem to find the source of the leak. The other day I layed under the sink with a trouble light while my wife did a full load of dishes and found no leaking anywhere. Same thing yesterday; we kept the cupboard doors open all day and found no water leaking at all. Just now this morning I checked and the floor under the sink was soaked with more water than I've ever seen. The water doesn't appear to be coming from beneath the floor; but rather the center of the sink area above but I can't see anywhere it could be coming from. Any ideas anyone?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
My old 2003 Sunseeker would leak ever so slowly from the drain in the sink itself - the metal drain that screwed into the sink. I removed it and applied plumbers putty which worked fine.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Do you typically run off your water pump or city water?

If city water, try running off the water pump for a day. The reason being is if you have a leak in your water supply, you will hear the pump "burp" every once in awhile as it attempts to keep the water pressure up due to a leak.

If you hear such activity from your water pump, then you know you have a water leak in your supply line somewhere. If you don't, then it's probably safe to assume the water leak is not from the supply line.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Boondocked for two days on our journey from South Padre Island to Jamaica Beach where we are presently. Had the water pump on the whole time. Pump never burped unless we turned on a faucet or flushed the toilet. Just checked under the sink and found a small ice bucket I put under there is full of water. Water seems to be coming from the faucet connections going up to the sink but I have never seen any water dripping or coming off any of those connections.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
If your pump is not cycling, I would suspect the leak is in the drain system.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:05 AM   #6

State: Alberta
THOR #944
We bought a new 2014 Hurricane and we had the same problem. It was a defective tap. It got so bad that when my wife was doing dishes water came out the bottom of one of the compartments below the sink.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #7

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Based on what I've read here, I think the problem is with your kitchen sink faucet. Either the lines didn't get attached securely or the body of the faucet has a crack.
Of course this doesn't explain why (a) you can't see it drip, or (b) why the 12 volt pump doesn't activate as the drip releases the water pressure.
Are you using a water pressure limiting device when connected to city water? Maybe your leak is happening at higher-than-normal pressures? (If not, the variation in city water pressure could explain both a and b above.)
Old 01-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I'll take a stab at another theory: Does your coach have an accumulator tank? (like this one: Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Shurflo 182-200 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World ). That would prevent the pump from running for a moderate leak.
Perhaps one of the water pipes has a very fine leak which is spraying water?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
State: North Carolina
THOR #1731
As for trying to locate your water leak, try spraying everything under the sink with a dry powder (Baby powder) or the like. That will show where the leak is coming from. My 2014 Thor Chateau fwd sink was leaking, and CW did the plumbers putty trick. Every time my wife did the dishes, she ended up with plumbers putty on the dishes. So, I removed the drain, removed the plumbers putty and installed a rubber gasket in it's place. No more leak and no more mess.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:41 AM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I found that my drain strainers..... the connection between the basin and the pipe, the thing the stopper fits into....
these were loose from the factory, and would drip but only when the stoppers were in and the sinks were filled....