Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #13573
Lack of house battery power and generator

When plugged into our house we have lights etc in rv but the inverter does nothing, the battery in use switch does nothing and the generator panel does nothing. Also do not have radio or display screen for cameras in the cab. All circuit breakers are on, all fuses appear to be good, gas in rv is above 1/2 tank display says our arteries are fully charged. Tried to start generator with the emergency cab switch and still appeared to be getting no connection. Any idea as to what to look for?

Old 10-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #2

THOR #13573
Should say it is a Thor 2016 chateau
Old 10-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Do you have the same issues when you are unplugged?
Old 10-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

THOR #13573
I didn’t make myself clear....when we use power from our home we have lights and tv in the rv but the inverter, the generator and the battery in use switch are blank. When we unplug from our home we have nothing in the rv. The inverter panel and the generator panel as well as the battery in use switch are totally blank as well as lights.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not familiar with your coach, but it sounds like your coach batteries are not connecting to the 12 volt DC wiring system of the coach. If that is true then your batteries are not charging either when on shore power. Use/store turned on? When you operate the use store switch do you hear a relay operating anywhere (clunk sound)? If not then you may have a bad latching relay for the coach battery (or its control circuits). If yes, then you may have a DC breaker that has tripped open between coach batteries and Converter output bus......typically 50-100 Amp breaker....... sometimes located near the coach batteries in many coaches; not sure where in a chateau though.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #6

THOR #13573
When on shore power the panel that shows the batteries, lp gas and tank levels is active and shows the batteries are full. The battery in use/store switch does nothing when pressed and the voltage screen is not lit no matter the power source. Also the generator start switch shows nothing no matter what the power source and will not start using the emergency button. So frustrating.. you are actually talking to an old lady and I just want to push a button and make it all work!🤪
Old 10-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

THOR #2631
Hi......from an “old man”......we are never too old to learn new things and owning an RV is a great (occasionally frustrating) way to do that. Even old men wish RV troubles could be cured with a “one button push”. You may be able to do that with this trouble but sometimes the hardest part is finding the failed device to reset (if it is even resettable). The generator starter motor is typically 12VDC powered off the coach (house) batteries through a 100 Amp DC circuit breaker. That cct breaker (if open) may also cause your lack of coach power too depending on how Thor wires Chateaus. Usually that 100 Amp breaker is located close to the coach batteries mounted on the wall. Since I am not familiar with your coach maybe someone who owns your coach will chime in as to locations of some likely breakers. The other thing you could try is carefully follow the positive battery cable and see if it wires directly to this 100 Amp breaker. If it is close you might see a yellow arm popped out of the black body of the breaker. Push in the flag to try to reset. It might be some other color too. If your batteries are showing fully charged once you reset this breaker you should be able to start your generator at least.......
Old 10-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

THOR #13573
Thanks so much for your helpful advice! Our coach batteries are located under the step at the door. I have looked there and see no visible box. Tomorrow I will venture to crawling, laying under there to see if I can see anything. For now I am retiring to a couple glasses of wine and a hot bath. Again thanks for your advice and I will let ya know tomorrow if I find anything. If you happen to see on the national news about emts having to extract an elderly woman from under an rv you can say you had conversations with her!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #9

THOR #2631
Well, since your batteries are crammed under the steps there is likely no room for the breaker there too. So I would “guess” Thor would place a resettable DC breaker inside an outside cubby or under the bed or under an easy open couch or near the converter (behind it perhaps under the bed) etc. Crawling under the coach is no fun and the main coach +12v battery cable would likely be run along the chassis towards the converter or the generator locations anyway.....so you might get away with just looking in the coach around those places for a resettable DC breaker. Lets hope another owner chimes in with some better info. Good luck......enjoy the wine.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #10

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
THOR #7302
Thor Chateau Breaker Panel

Dear Sir,

Your chateau power panel is under the dinette behind the driver seat. If you flip the brown metal cover down it is there. The breakers in my coach were labeled. If you need access remove the cushions, then remove the screws in the top of the box and the whole top will come off and you can access the panel from above, behind, and in front. You might find debris in there and it is always worth a good vacuuming.

If the store switch by the entrance door is off all power to the rear of the coach and the radio in the dash will be dead as well. It is not obvious that the store switch is off since thor was too lazy or cheap to a. label it use, or b. label its on or off position.

Rocky Freedom Elite 23H or Chateau with different branding...

Rocky