Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Fuse keeps blowing

Thor Miramar 35.3 2018 - The fuse for my instrument panel and Running lights blows as soon as I turn on the lights on. Any help is appreciated

Old 11-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
You have a short somewhere. Start from one end of the circuit and go to the other to find your problem. As electrical problems need to be traced out to be corrected.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by druganjk@gmail.com View Post
Thor Miramar 35.3 2018 - The fuse for my instrument panel and Running lights blows as soon as I turn on the lights on. Any help is appreciated
in order to work on electrical systems, you need a multimeter and know how to use it. Youtube is your friend. It's not a DIY subject.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup! You've got a short in the wiring. Start at the switch, and head toward the business end of all the connections. Look for where you8've got a bare spot in a wire, and it's rubbing against something: even another wire!
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #5

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I had a similar problem and it was a insulation on a wire that had been partially cut by a screw and over time the screw broke thru into the wire, shorted and blew the fuse. Because the wire was able to move slightly, my problem was intermittent. It would not happen when the coach was sitting, but when I started down the road, the wire would move and short out. Since it was under warranty and I was driving home from the manufacturer I took it to 3 Ford dealers and none of them really made any attempt to find the problem. It took me a while to find it after I got home. While I agree that a multimeter is a must, in this instance it did not help me at all.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by druganjk@gmail.com View Post
As said, you have a short to ground somewhere in the wiring. I would recommend you get a wiring diagram and a "intelligent circuit tracer for shorts and opens". Power Probe makes an excellent kit. It is not easy, but with some patience you will be able to trace the wire to the short.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
In the dc voltage world I worked in we had a few techs that would replace that wimpy 5amp fuse with a 30... then look for smoke.
DON'T try this at home.

Instead try some circuit isolation first, you'll need some fuses of the proper amperage.
Turn the dash dimmer switch off or as low as it will go. Then retest.
Next if the fuse blows or doesn't, don't jump to any conclusion yet.
Replace the fuse if needed and start pulling running light bulbs, to save fuses do not test after each bulb. Carefully look for corrosion and/or water in the sockets and housings. Test whith all the bulbs out.
If you get lucky and find a cracked lense full of water clean the socket with "contact cleaner" and retest.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Agree, that it’s worth trying DIY since it’s your 12V system and not especially dangerous. At least if you’re “handy” with this kind of work. I like the recommendation that you try to isolate the problem area before spending a lot of time with a meter. Water in a running light is a good place to start looking as recommended. If you can unplug the instrument cluster you can rule that in/out easily. It’s a solid state unit so unlikely to be the problem but stranger things have happened. Take your time and be methodical and you’ll find it. Good luck..
Old 11-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #9

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I did a lot of trouble shooting in my day. How I did it was to use a headlight lamp with a socket wired to spade connectors that fit into the fuse receptical.
When the short was found, the lamp would change from bright to dim.
Saved a lot of fuses that way!
Old 11-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
I did a lot of trouble shooting in my day. How I did it was to use a headlight lamp with a socket wired to spade connectors that fit into the fuse receptical.
When the short was found, the lamp would change from bright to dim.
Saved a lot of fuses that way!
I used to use an old street-bike turnsignal...
Old 11-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #11

Model: 25tqs
State: Idaho
THOR #12265
Buy a wire toner. About the cost of a vom. Put a tone on the wire. Follow it until the tone stops. You just found your short.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Op needs to go to a stereo shop and get this fixed for 50 bucks or so.
Toners(mine doesn't need a ground clamp, it's so handy) and lamps and multimeters are for semi experienced people not people who ask the most basic questions when their rig isn't road worthy.

Go to stereo shop, get it fixed then watch you tube videos for education about the next MORE MINOR problem.
This one could be a anything from a rubbed wire in a spot you'll never be able to reach to a problem in the steering column you won't be able to diagnose.
Also:
Amazon sells resettable fuses with a little button on them. They're circuit breakers that fit in fuse holders.
It's a lot easier to push a button than to mess with fuse pullers.....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote