Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Manitoba
THOR #348
Large Slide Cables on Challenger

With all the talk of breaking cables over the last number of months, I should have been well warned. In mid Oct., the day before we left on our trip south, one of our "in" cables broke. The slide seemed to be catching on something and the cable snapped causing the slide to tilt back. I removed the molding and proceeded to inspect and then figure out what to do. The bolt attached to the cable was what broke. I was able to splice the broken bolt to a threaded rod using the long nut. This way we were able to get the slide pulled in. We decided to wait until we got to the Phoenix area to get the repair done as there are very few places in Manitoba to get repairs to Motor homes and we had no time to wait weeks for service. After arriving in Mesa AZ, Joe from ASAP Mobile RV Service came, ordered a new cable and has now repaired the break and adjusted the tension on the cables. We're still not sure what caused the initial break, was it the poor tension or was the slide catching on something. The tension was so slack that when the slide was out the "in" cables were lying on the roof of the slide and vise/versa.This lack of any tension on the opposite cables did not seem right to me.
If there are any thoughts or ideas out in cyber land let me know. Until then I'll keep my eyes on the situation.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
Broke my cable also, had to lift the corner of affected side while retracting slide. 2 person job. Local RV shop replaced cable with thicker cable, same length.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

THOR #348
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrver View Post
Broke my cable also, had to lift the corner of affected side while retracting slide. 2 person job. Local RV shop replaced cable with thicker cable, same length.
Do you know what caused the break?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
While sliding was extending, it had a slight bind for a second. It didn't stop or anything like that, but after unbinding, the sudden jerk it made snapped the cable. It surprised the hell out of us. To retract the slide I had to lift the affected end and retract as one. That were I found he slide was making contact with the frame under it. Sent photo's to Thor and they paid for the repairs.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #5

THOR #348
Following the cable replacement and adjustment of all cables, I operated the slide yesterday. It went in and out quite smoothly. I am now of the opinion that the cables being so out of adjustment that they probably got caught on each other and caused the break. When the break happened there was quite a jolt and then the snap as the cable broke.