Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
Generator Stopped Working

My generator (Axis 25.1) stopped working after about 15 min. It seemed to be just fine. I have 3/4 fuel in gas tank. Now I don't get any light indicators. I flipped the off switch on the generator off and back on.

Where is the generator fuse? Another newbie needs help!

Old 01-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Does it crank without starting?
If you hold the switch in the stop position and the light comes on can you hear the fuel pump running?

Onan/Cumins had a run on some bad fuel pumps--we had one. Was driving down the road and the genny just quit and wouldn't start again.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

THOR #2733
Thanks Jamie, It did nothing. No yellow light, no cranking, nothing. The starter button on the control panel didn't do anything and the start switch on the generator itself didn't do anything either.

But now I went back out and it DID start just fine. It's been about 2 hours since it quite running. Anyone?

Er scratch that, it quite again. No light, no cranking, nothing....
Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Sounds like a loose wire or other intermittent connection.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Sounds like a possible ground problem, as JamieGeek said or pointed out, check your runs, to make sure they are all tight.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Check the oil level. The generator has a low oil auto shut down mechanism.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:31 AM   #7

THOR #2733
Thank you to everyone providing feedback. Here's the latest:

Oil Level is good. I was able to replicate the problem, but so far only under very specific circumstances. It doesn't shut down when the engine is running, but if I turn off the engine and then turn on the radio, within 1-2 minutes it quits, every time.

It did not quit if the engine was running or if I didn't turn on the radio. But the combination of not running the engine and then turning on the radio - bam, every time.

Then when I turn the engine back on, for about 30-60 seconds, the radio has no power and the generator doesn't do anything. Then the power is restored ( I can hear a click and the radio flashes blue) to the radio, and the generator. But, all of my saved radio channels are gone. I can start the generator up just fine....until I repeat the cycle.

I have no idea.... also another question, I know the frig needs to be level to operate, but does the generator need to level (or nearly level) also?

oh - also I'm running a space heater, turning it on and off, it does not seem to effect anything - generator ran fine the whole time, but within a minute, as soon as I turn on the radio, it quits....

Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:45 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Generator needs level enough for its carb to work (e.g. tilting everything 45 would probably pour the gas out of the genny--along with all kinds of other issues ).

It really sounds like your ground or your use/store solenoid is somehow wired wrong. Not sure how to trace that down either.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
any resolution?

just "thinking out loud" here....

I'm thinking,"what is the common denominator with your replication chassis engine/radio?"

It seems that the 12volt house side might be the issue.
Does the genny connect directly to the house battery? nope
the genny does connect to the converter though, which connects to the 12v system.
The chassis engine charges the 12volt system in most coaches.

SO, maybe, just maybe
when the chassis engine is running the alternator is giving enough charge juice into the 12v system to power the radio and so the converter's charger might not be called for?
but
with the chassis engine off, the radio is putting a drain on the 12volt side house battery, which would eventually call for the converter to charge it.
so
is the house battery dead?
If no, can you pull the fuse for the converter so it doesn't try to charge?
Maybe, the converter is doing something that the genny doesn't like that triggers a shut down?

I'm not familiar enough with it.... like I said, just "thinking out loud"
Old 01-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Does the genny connect directly to the house battery? nope
the genny does connect to the converter though, which connects to the 12v system.
Not sure about the coach in question but in my Challenger the generator is connected to the house batteries. There is a 12Volt cable running from the house batteries to a circuit breaker and then another 12VDC cable running from that circuit breaker to the starter solenoid on the generator. In my coach it is very easy to trace because the 12VDC cable running to the generator is the only cable in the coach that is orange in color for its entire length.

Again, this is on my Challenger.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I kind of agree with blw2. The radio piece is the mystery to me. So I'm thinking it's related to the converter. Sounds like it is not putting out enough current to keep the house batteries charged.

Doesn't the generator draw its starting power off the house batteries? Are you sure they are fully charged? Hpe about the Use/Store switch? Could the holding relay on the Use side be intermittently dropping out? Wouldn't that be intermittently be dropping the house batteries off line? If the engine were running g wouldn't enough power be coming off the alternator to substitute for the house batteries?

So my vote is converter, use/store switch, or power transfer relay.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #12

THOR #908
yeah, I guess I wasn't clear.... I meant on the charging side of the genny.
Of course the starter is powered by the battery.... but as far as I know the electrical output from the genny does not feed directly to the battery.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I'm not a generator expert so I'll ask a couple of questions.

First, does the generator require 12VDC to keep running or does it supply its own voltage to keep the ignition system operating? Since the generator is designed to output 120VAC my guess is the generator requires 12VDC from the house batteries for its ignition system

Generator won't start

Generator will start 20 - 30 seconds after the engine is started. Here the isolator closes allowing the house batteries to charge off the engine alternator. Batteries now have power to start the generator or the alternator is supplying enough power to start the generator.

Radio will not turn on - the radio receives its power from the house batteries. The radio will turn on 20 to 30 seconds after the engine is started. Again this allows the isolator to close and the house batteries to charge or the radio to receive power from the engine alternator.

Generator and radio quit running after the engine is shut off. The isolator opens and the house batteries are no longer being charged and do not have enough residual power to handle starting the generator or radio.

Going out on a limb I'm going to say that I believe the house battery(ies) are so dead they cannot hold a charge for more than a minute or two. From the info provided with the radio and generator the only thing in common are the batteries.

Does the name Harris come to mind?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

did you say Harris
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #15

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I'm not a generator expert so I'll ask a couple of questions.

First, does the generator require 12VDC to keep running or does it supply its own voltage to keep the ignition system operating? Since the generator is designed to output 120VAC my guess is the generator requires 12VDC from the house batteries for its ignition system

Generator won't start

Generator will start 20 - 30 seconds after the engine is started. Here the isolator closes allowing the house batteries to charge off the engine alternator. Batteries now have power to start the generator or the alternator is supplying enough power to start the generator.

Radio will not turn on - the radio receives its power from the house batteries. The radio will turn on 20 to 30 seconds after the engine is started. Again this allows the isolator to close and the house batteries to charge or the radio to receive power from the engine alternator.

Generator and radio quit running after the engine is shut off. The isolator opens and the house batteries are no longer being charged and do not have enough residual power to handle starting the generator or radio.

Going out on a limb I'm going to say that I believe the house battery(ies) are so dead they cannot hold a charge for more than a minute or two. From the info provided with the radio and generator the only thing in common are the batteries.

yep, what I said... maybe worded better, but exactly the same place I was going with all of that .... It's why i asked "are the house batteries dead?"
Old 01-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #16

THOR #2733
Coach is scheduled for service on the 22nd. I'll post what they find out