Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2016, 01:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Latch on exterior flat screen

Brand new Axis 24.1. Tried to open the left latch on the outdoor flat screen cover and it seems completely stuck... Don't recall having a problem latching it closed and have only opened it about 5 times. Don't want to force it and break it. Right latch works fine and the lock in the middle is not locked. Any ideas?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 AM   #2

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
You might try a basic approach like using something like Liquid Wrench or PB Blast and gently working the key in the lock. It may be a rough spot on the key that is catching on a pin in the lock or it may be something altogether different.

Was the air temperature below freezing and could the lock have gotten water inside?

Your comment makes me think I had better check my outdoor TV door locks too��
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:04 AM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
You could try squirting WD40 in on the edge of the door where the latch is. Press in pretty firmly on the door when trying to turn the latch that is hung up.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:14 AM   #4

THOR #3483
STuck Latch on flat screen

Thanks to both of you. It is not the key latch in the middle but the securing latch on the left. I will try the WD-40/silicone spray if I can get it in there... I am guessing that it is just jammed on the sheet metal but I know I wasn't torqueing it down when I last closed it.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:32 AM   #5

THOR #2601
I knew you meant the non-keyed latch. Sometimes the dog on the latch will get hung up on the rubber seal causing it to jam. That's why I suggested pushing in real hard on the door right where the latch is to move the metal dog away from the rubber seal.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 01-15-2016, 02:52 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Earl,

If you have the time you can take the drawers out of their runners in the kitchen. Then on the inside of the wall (which will be putting you behind the outside TV) you will find an opening in the wall, mine was about 6X4 inches, in which the cables are run to the outside TV. You might be able to use your phone in video mode to see inside the compartment that holds the TV and observe what is holding the latch in place. You'll need to be flexible.

FYI: When I ran my HDMI cables from an HDMI splitter over the sink to my outside TV (from the computer and Blu-ray I mounted over the sink) I had to go thru that opening. I also had to remove the Microwave, cut a hole next to the wall housing the fridge, drop the HDMI cable down thru that wall into the area along side and behind the drawers and then out thru the opening mentioned above.

Good Luck.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:24 AM   #7

THOR #3483
Bevedfelker- Your idea at least go me able to open the left latch... Now have to figure out how to make it work properly. Thank you! And Doc, thanks for your input, I won't have to go through your suggestions but still good to know. Our 16 had HDMI cables ready to go for all of the flat screens which is great. I thought at first that the dash unit could be used to play DVDs in the rest of the house and Thor informed me of the HDMI cables. Everything is good and I appreciate the input of all. Great forum. FYI, I did spray some silicon spray on the outside of the latch, pushed in the door a bit and I was able to open it....
Old 01-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

THOR #3483
Pretty simple to lube up these latches which I noticed cost about $11 at Camping World to replace. I will post a few pictures to show how it is done. There is a spring loaded ball bearing inside that acts as a cam. This particular one was completely dry with a small bit of rust on both parts. Cleaned, lubed with dielectric grease, put back together. Works better than the rest of them now.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Earl,

If you have the time you can take the drawers out of their runners in the kitchen. Then on the inside of the wall (which will be putting you behind the outside TV) you will find an opening in the wall, mine was about 6X4 inches, in which the cables are run to the outside TV. You might be able to use your phone in video mode to see inside the compartment that holds the TV and observe what is holding the latch in place. You'll need to be flexible.

FYI: When I ran my HDMI cables from an HDMI splitter over the sink to my outside TV (from the computer and Blu-ray I mounted over the sink) I had to go thru that opening. I also had to remove the Microwave, cut a hole next to the wall housing the fridge, drop the HDMI cable down thru that wall into the area along side and behind the drawers and then out thru the opening mentioned above.

Good Luck.

Doc
Thanks for that info Doc. I did not realize that there was a hole there. I should be able to us that to run wires from the house batteries to the cabinet above the sink for my 12 v guage. That will be a lot easier than thru the back of the TV over the door like I did last time.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #10

THOR #2601
I sprayed all my latches (including locking latches) with a LIBERAL amount of silicon spray. I also made sure they were all aligned so that the latching dog was 90 degrees with the edge of the opening. When I feel any of them start to get stiff - out comes the silicon spray. And I always push in on the door by each latch when I move the latch.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 01-18-2016, 04:05 AM   #11

THOR #3483
Reminds me to keep a spray can of silicone in my mobile tool bag.