Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Latitude awning strut failure

I have a 2015 Hurricane with Carefree Latitude awning. The plastic fitting at the end of one awning gas strut has failed causing the strut to fall off. I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else and whether do-it-yourself repair is feasible.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:04 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
I have a 2015 Hurricane with Carefree Latitude awning. The plastic fitting at the end of one awning gas strut has failed causing the strut to fall off. I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else and whether do-it-yourself repair is feasible.
The plastic strut hooks are available directly from Carefree of Colorado. The struts are a pain to reinstall, but can be done by one individual, if they are determined. Instructions are on the Carefree site for changing out the struts. It is helpful to have a tree above the awning when doing the work. Fortunately, I had a tractor with a front loader nearby.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:57 AM   #3

THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The plastic strut hooks are available directly from Carefree of Colorado. The struts are a pain to reinstall, but can be done by one individual, if they are determined. Instructions are on the Carefree site for changing out the struts. It is helpful to have a tree above the awning when doing the work. Fortunately, I had a tractor with a front loader nearby.
Thanks for the info. I had discovered the parts site when I replaced the awning end caps (didn’t everybody have to replace theirs?) but somehow managed to overlook the service manual page. My plan is to use a couple of tall Gorilla ladders to prop the tube and awning arm. And to enlist a friend to help.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #4

Model: windsport 34f
THOR #24881
also had 1 fail. Used 2 ladders, fully extend, disable motor if you have wind sensor. Separate roller tube from motor bracket. Carefree has updated c clips. item #2. https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree...r?productId=91
Old 09-17-2022, 02:22 PM   #5

THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsport View Post
also had 1 fail. Used 2 ladders, fully extend, disable motor if you have wind sensor. Separate roller tube from motor bracket. Carefree has updated c clips. item #2. https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree...r?productId=91
One of the hooks on the end of the strut broke. If you had the same problem, do you think it was caused by a defective strut, or just a random failure of the plastic hook?

I plan to order R001848 Roller Tube Attach Kit and R040905-001 Hook, Gas Spring. Is that all you needed to get the job done?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #6

Model: windsport 34f
THOR #24881
the strut was strong, to the point I couldn't collapse by hand on ladder. So unhooked roller tube. Hook just threads on.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsport View Post
the strut was strong, to the point I couldn't collapse by hand on ladder. So unhooked roller tube. Hook just threads on.
Yep. You extend the roller out about 3/4 of the way then tie a rope between the two inner hinges of the arms. Next move the roller all the way out so the fabric is limp. Support the end of the roller, remove the C" clip from the roller's axle and disengage the roller from the arm. Slowly let out the rope connecting the hinges so there is no tension on the arms REMEMBER the other end of the roller will also move. Remove the old strut (if still there) and install the new one. Compress the arm enough to place the bearing on the roller axle and install the "C" clip. Due to the leverage. it is not as hard as you imagine. Partially retract the awning so the fabric is in tension and remove the rope. Deploy the awning fully to check the arm alignment and to remove any wrinkles in the fabric.

I used a front end loader to support both ends of the roller, but a nearby tree or a couple of 8' ft A step ladders would work.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:58 PM   #8

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Similar failures

I just had a similar failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D165F20E-7931-4FAC-9503-E3938194115D.jpeg
Views:	41