Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12158
LCI Auto Leveling Prob

Hi,

We bought a 2016 used 30 class C Outlaw with an auto leveling system by LCI. It has never worked and the dealer replaced the pump controller and the control board but it’s still won’t work. Unfortunately the dealer is theee hours away and I’d like to trouble shoot this myself. Two things happen when trying to use it. One says low voltage which we do not have a problem with and the other says extreme angle which has also never been the case. The control also turns on randomly while driving and beeps; this can not be shut off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Old 08-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
when it 'turns on' and beeps while driving, it's really indicating that one of the legs has seeped out of full retraction, as hydraulics can sometimes do, meaning that it has sensed it and is retracting it, and then it should go off on it's own. That's a safety feature, as mine has done that from time to time, for no apparent reason, but it's unnerving to say the least. All's good, though.

as for the 'angle' message, and low voltage - the volts are an indication of the HOUSE battery levels, and what the system has programmed as it's 'minimum' voltage to properly lower the legs, with the weight of the coach considered. It's not uncommon, though, for this to be the case for a lot of us, when we arrive at our destination. You can still use the system, but you have to press and hold MANUAL mode. Then, press each ARROW to lower those sets of legs. Sets are TWO, as the system will only raise legs in PAIRS(sets). If you see the arrow only lighted pointing toward the rear, then your rear is LOW. Press the arrow to lower the opposite, or front legs, first, stopping after you feel them both having touched the ground and raised the front for only a second. This gives the front a firm foundation, as you then press the REAR arrow to lower those legs. If you continue to hold the ARROW, even after the coach is being raised, it will AUTOMATICALLY stop once the coach is level, and the middle greeen light with show.
Of course, in manual mode, you can make any adjustments you wish, to the other arrows, if you feel the coach is still slightly unlevel on one side, etc. Door swings, especially the hall bath door, are good indications to being 'really' level, no matter what the LCI panel says.
You can also RESET the Level for the system. Refer to your manual, but the process is fairly simple - it's just pressing a set of button in a certain pattern, or several at the same time, once you feel you are level. The system will then try to use this 'level' from then on.

The 'angle' indicator is not one that I've seen too often, if ever, but it is apparently 'thinking' that it's sensing that the coach is leaning too far, one side or the other, or front or back, and will NOT allow the legs to be lowered(I believe, as a safety measure). While you know you're not at any extreme angle, this is probably a case to RESET the panel, pull the fuse, or use the owner's manual to figure out how to reset it. You should have a 'level' Sensor, maybe a black covered box, maybe below in one of the cargo bays, mounted to the ceiling. It is what the system refers to for level.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12158
Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough response. I’ve found nothing in the extensive manual bag that came with the coach relative to the LCI system. As
Mentioned the batteries are brand new and always fully charged. Plus it was my understanding that the engine has to be running with the e-brake on in order to operate the leveling
System at all. You are right that while
Driving the beeping does eventually stop after driving a while. I’ll look for the fuse to pull and re-set the system and try the manual over ride as suggested. Thanks again !
Old 08-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
The brake does have to be set. The engine running is just to assure that the alternator will assist with 12v power so that you don't get into a low voltage situation.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I don't know what problems you are having. I hope this helps. I had a lot of trouble in the beginning until I quit using the auto level and use manual. This procedure works for me 1) insure engine is running and parking brake is firmly engaged. 2) Enter manual mode (on mine, up arrow to manual and press enter). 3) Ground the front and then the rear by pushing the front or rear arrow. (Grounding is lowering the jacks until they just touch the ground). 4) Continue lowering the jacks on the end that is lowest. (I use a round bubble level placed on the floor where I can see it from the driver seat). 5) After you have it level front to rear you can level from side to side by lowering the jacks on the low side of the RV until the bubble is inside the round line on the level. If I am in a site where I am very unlevel, I place blocks centered under the jacks that are on the lowest end, side or corner of the RV (ensure the blocks are level and on solid ground so you don’t bend the landing pad of the jack. Keep in mind that two jacks move at the same time, both fronts or both rears or both rights or both lefts. I takes some getting use to. Also, if it takes a long time to level sometimes the breaker will trip and needs to be reset. Mine is located in the battery compartment. Good luck and safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Slide Manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek IN WALL SLIDE-OUT MANUAL smaller.pdf (2.97 MB, 59 views)
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto leveling problems., lci leveling system, outlaw 29h auto leveling, thor auto leveler