Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8596
Unhappy Leak on the front bunk

Hello,

We have a Thor Freedom Elite. If you know this model, you know there is a bunk over the driver, where two people can sleep.
We found the bunk to be moist, over the passenger side.
We have requested two leak tests, but both came up saying there was no leak.
At one point we were told that the reason for the bunk to be wet is that the window was probably left open... they just didn't see that the window is in the opposite side (over the driver side) and this part has always been dry.
It looks like that the only solution is to tear the bunk open and try to find the leak.
Has anyone experienced something similar?
We already used several tubes of silicone on any place water my come from, but no success.
Do you know any video showing how to rip the bunk out?
Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
I would look at your marker lights on the roof, perhaps one or more is leaking into the bunk area.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #3

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I had the same problem on my Four Winds. Here is my posts on the issue. PS - don’t use silicone on the outside of the coach - it will last about a week. Use Geocel 2300.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...4f-16797.htmlm
Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 PM   #4

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Oops. Use Geocel ProFlex RV not 2300.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
That link doesn't work - just says Page Not Found
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
That link doesn't work - just says Page Not Found

Worked fine for me just now.... I agree to look at the marker lights and also the radio and TV antennas.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #7

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8596
I'll keep looking...

Thanks guys. I'll check the lights and antennas. The last time I did, they were okay.
I noticed that the rubber band that goes on the trim is turning green. I removed it and all screws looked okay. Should I only be looking for rusted screws?

Another thing I noticed was that were the trim contours the RV, on the passenger side, the rubber band comes out on its own. It's the second time this happens. Could it be too stretched?

Thanks again. Hope to fix this soon, as the weather is getting better!!!
NEED TO GET OUT!!!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlferreira View Post
Hello,

We have a Thor Freedom Elite. If you know this model, you know there is a bunk over the driver, where two people can sleep.
We found the bunk to be moist, over the passenger side.
We have requested two leak tests, but both came up saying there was no leak.
At one point we were told that the reason for the bunk to be wet is that the window was probably left open... they just didn't see that the window is in the opposite side (over the driver side) and this part has always been dry.
It looks like that the only solution is to tear the bunk open and try to find the leak.
Has anyone experienced something similar?
We already used several tubes of silicone on any place water my come from, but no success.
Do you know any video showing how to rip the bunk out?
Any other ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks,
I have a Thor 2018 37 RV class a. I had a drip right over top of my speedometer when it would rain really really hard. Could not find a leak anywhere. Took it to the dealer and they said the cap seal was leaking. They reseal the cap and everything is fine now. Check the front Cap all the way around
Old 05-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: British Columbia
THOR #10751
I have the same problem on my 2018 Hurricane 29M. Had it pressure tested and found 18 rooftop and 2 window leaks. In addition; the air conditioner wasn’t seated properly. New coach that “leaks like a sieve”. Of course found the issues after 90 days so dealer says “to bad, out of warranty period”. The test was worthwhile. Report shows the problem areas so I’ll fix myself.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 AM   #10

State: Illinois
THOR #12676
What is Pressure Testing

Who does the pressure testing?
Old 05-05-2019, 04:41 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: British Columbia
THOR #10751
Up here in the Pacific Northwest we have a couple around. Not sure who else as these are small specialty shops (catering to those tired of dealers, lol) sorry, not much help!
Old 05-05-2019, 05:54 AM   #12

State: Washington
THOR #6433
So we had a leak that was in our bunk but it was always wet on the window slide. They eventually ended up resealing everything the window, lights, every seal and finally got it after 4 tries. It sucks our biggest problem needed up being mold so if it’s that bad you may end up needing to replace some of the interior to get rid of the mold. Running a dehumidifier helps get some of the moisture out as well
Old 05-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #8222
When you say “reseal the cap” does that mean re/calk the cap? I had a very slow drip leak on drivers side dash near corner just under drivers side corner of winsheild.

I put flowable windsheild silicon in drivers side upper windsheild and re-caulked the driver side cap moulding and drivers side amber clearance light and top drivers side corner of cap where molding had seperated 3/4 inch. Also tighten the side rear view mirrors and recalked them. After it dried it looks like all the amber lights on top of cap need calking.

After 40 hours I sprayed water over the drivers side cap for about 5 minutes no water drip was seen on my dash.

But after it had all dried it was a sunny day I noticed water drawing slowly out of bottom drivers side windsheild molding. I stuck my finger under that area of windsheild molding and lifted slightly and water drained out. The motor home is tilted on driveway slightly down on drivers side so if water got under molding it would collect on drivers side.

I lifted a little more slightly, and the windsheild molding popped out. It was loose for at least a foot and drivers side bottom of window. I pushed on the molding and it popped back in.

Now I am concerned about winsheild not being attached properly.

Thinking of calling windsheild people who come to your site and have them look at it.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Every seam on the roof and sides was redone. So basically any place there was sealant was taken off and replaced. It ended up being easiest way and they did that from the mid of the motorhome forward.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #15

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
"I removed it and all screws looked okay. Should I only be looking for rusted screws?"
Did you remove the screws or just look at the heads? I'm currently fighting leaks on a Quantum, the FE's big brother. In that trim strip the screw heads can look fine but if you pull the screw out it'll be rusty from water soaked plywood. Seal the edges of the trim strip with Geocel 2300 MHRV then get the same size screws in stainless steel. Remove each old screw, squirt the hole full of Geocel and put in the new SS screw. BE CAREFUL, if the screw was really rusty the wood will be soft and easy to strip. Also check the lower edges of your "sail panels" the panel that goes from the back of the cab to the front corner of the coach body. This is a known problem area on class C's. Look under the coach and you will see the back edge joint is a leak waiting to happen. Keep an eye on you step well too, had to replace mine due to leakage.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:10 PM   #16

State: Massachusetts
THOR #30901
Condensation 2016 Thor 23H Class C

I have a problem with condensation over the passengers side that I found under the mattress after purchasing it this year. The damage is minimal and is only water stains along the floor against the wall but I still yet have been able to stop it.
I replaced the marker lights with new ones and resealed them, I thought it would have helped, but didn’t. I also caulked areas that I thought could be where it might have been leaking, but the roof is in great condition.
I purchased the unit this year with 4000 miles on it, it’s always been garaged and its like new.
I’m going to replace the inserts in the u-channels with Steele rubber inserts (70-3979-240) 7/8 inch and have been told they are better than factory. This could also be where I’m getting some water infiltration.
If anyone has had this problem, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
I took the mattress out because we don’t use it.
Old 10-05-2023, 12:34 AM   #17

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I had a class C and the same happened to the mattress over the driver, It was wet and no detection of where the moisture came from, maybe from running AC unit over night, but can't be for sure.. I sealed every corner of the area and dried out mattress.

I just purchased this moisture detector. I have been looking for leaks for a few yrs now on my new Class A. Never found one with a light and would search after every hard rain storm.

Now i have a small one in rear cabinet, a little drip on the aft surface on corner bracket is all that is visible, and side wall near driver. This is a great investment. I just scan the walls and it detects moisture. Then up on the roof with sealant. I scan along the upper edge and get 000%, then all of a sudden i read 17% water detection, very sensitive.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2023, 12:48 PM   #18

State: Massachusetts
THOR #30901
Moisture Detector

Can you tell me the brand and model of the moisture detector please?
Old 10-05-2023, 12:57 PM   #19

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I purchased this on Ebay for 15$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-10-05_8-55-34.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	43781  

Tags