Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano
State: Idaho
THOR #18821
Leaking freshwater

New 2020 Delano.

My fresh water tank seems to be leaking. We went boondocking for the first time this weekend so I filled the tank up before we left and as it filled up water started leaking out from above the tank somewhere and into our storage containers on either side(luckily nothing got ruined besides a few cardboard boxes).

When turning on the water on pump it builds pressure and stays off so from that point it's okay at least.

Closest dealer who can do warranty work is 3 1/2 hours away... So anything I can check myself before resorting to that?

Old 06-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
Hi Crater

If I may, a few questions that might help narrow down the leak. Oh and a bit of confusion.

"Leaking into storage containers"? You mean the basement bins or storage inside the coach?

You indicated that when you prime the system, it stays good. No occasional cycle of the pump?

Does it leak when you flush the head, shower on, sink?

Can you see the tank physically? Is it wet on the bottom?

Any mishaps of late? Flat tire, etc, something that might have banged the tank?

I have chased several of these and perhaps a bit more info might help.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #3

THOR #18821
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cruisign View Post
"Leaking into storage containers"? You mean the basement bins or storage inside the coach?
the basement bins, no leaking inside the coach that I'm aware. The water tank sits directly above those bins and i can see the water tripping from the top.

Quote:
You indicated that when you prime the system, it stays good. No occasional cycle of the pump?

Quote:
Correct. Pump comes on, builds up pressure and doesn't kick back on till we use water.

Quote:

Does it leak when you flush the head, shower on, sink?
Nope, not that I've observed.

Quote:

Can you see the tank physically? Is it wet on the bottom?
Yes, it sits above both driver and passenger side bins right behind the entry way, so you can look directly up in the bins to see the container.

Quote:

Any mishaps of late? Flat tire, etc, something that might have banged the tank?
Nope. We've only had it out 3 weekends we brought it home from the dealer memorial day weekend, this was the first boondocking so the first we've filled the tank. Previously we were at full hookup sites and with the water system hooked up and set to city water we had no leaking.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Could it be you filled the fresh water tank to the point it is overflowing? I believe there is an overflow somewhere on the tank on our previous Class A if the fresh water tank was filled to max when you went around a corner it would flow out the overflow. Just a thought.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #5

THOR #18821
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Could it be you filled the fresh water tank to the point it is overflowing? I believe there is an overflow somewhere on the tank on our previous Class A if the fresh water tank was filled to max when you went around a corner it would flow out the overflow. Just a thought.

Not impossible, but should it then overfill into the storage bins and not down a specific path? That seems like awful design (Not saying they didn't do that).

My other concern was after it started leaking i assumed it was something similar to that so i shut off the water. By the time we got to our location we were reading 33% water, and did eventually run low after 2 days.. so if it was overflowing I'd have expected to have gotten a 100% tank, which It doesn't not seem that we got.

Someone on facebook has recommended finding the connections to the pump as they said theirs was loose and leaking from the factory, it was on a different model so now i need to see how to get that access for myself check that out.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #6

THOR #18821
Went out and investigated on my lunch.. I don't seem to have any access to the top of the tank to inspect further either.. Its for sure leaking from there and not the sides as it would leak into the driver and passenger bins. the top is just under normal flooring and the slide. Seems like it'd have to be fully disconnected and dropped to be inspected.. which means it may need to just go to the dealer (3 1/2 hours away) and it means they'd have to have it for probably weeks or months... grr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_142324.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	24402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_142335.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	24403  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_142423.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	24404  
Old 06-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #7

THOR #14346
Crater you said you were down to about 33%. Was it still leaking? I so, the leak IMHO could not be on the top of the tank. It would almost be in view on what you can see of the tank. Have you found a point where the tank stops leaking? Have you verified your gauges are "RV" accurate? Meaning sort of. Is your pump above the tank. Mine for example, is under the bed, with the breaker panel, etc.

This is perplexing.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
My 2020 hurricane leaked at the nipple where the hose hooks up to.. Had to be about 3/4 full to leak. Thor replaced
Old 06-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #9

THOR #18821
Quote:
Crater you said you were down to about 33%. Was it still leaking? I so, the leak IMHO could not be on the top of the tank. It would almost be in view on what you can see of the tank. Have you found a point where the tank stops leaking? Have you verified your gauges are "RV" accurate? Meaning sort of. Is your pump above the tank. Mine for example, is under the bed, with the breaker panel, etc.

This is perplexing.

I'm wondering if not being totally level when filling contributed. When I saw the water leaking is when i shut the water off, assuming it was full.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #10

THOR #14346
Quote:
Originally Posted by crater View Post
I'm wondering if not being totally level when filling contributed. When I saw the water leaking is when i shut the water off, assuming it was full.
This might be something that you are reading into a bit Crater. An experiment. Fill the tank, check the guage and leave it alone for a couple of days. Could just be overflow. Maybe its normal. Jee..lol

Good luck
Old 06-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #11

THOR #18821
Quote:
This might be something that you are reading into a bit Crater. An experiment. Fill the tank, check the guage and leave it alone for a couple of days. Could just be overflow. Maybe its normal. Jee..lol

Good luck

Thanks. yeah.. either way if it is overflow it needs to use a hose or something to not flood my storage. It killed a a few boxes and luckily i noticed before it ruined the contents of said boxes.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #12

THOR #14346
If it aint broke.. it's probably not an RV!

Kidding. Let us know how it goes. Glad it didnt wreck anything.

Cheers
Old 07-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #13

State: Virginia
THOR #13629
Question what was...

the temperature of the water when you filled it, and what about the humidity of the air? it could be condensation (like you get on the outside of a glass of ice in the summer)..a tankful of cold water would produce a good amount of condensation on a humid Virginia summer day...

don't always have to assume somethings broke...
Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #14

THOR #18821
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt800c View Post
the temperature of the water when you filled it, and what about the humidity of the air? it could be condensation (like you get on the outside of a glass of ice in the summer)..a tankful of cold water would produce a good amount of condensation on a humid Virginia summer day...

don't always have to assume somethings broke...

It was for sure water from the tank and not condensation. It was a lot of water. Filled the entire bottom of the storage bins.

The Delano doesn't seem to have a low drain/overflow hose.. or rather mine doesn't.. i'm guessing there is just a hole in the top, but i can't see/get in there without dropping it which i don't particularly want to do.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:25 AM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #17950
My ACE had a water leak and the repair center said it was the fill tube to the fresh tank. It had come off because Thor designed the hose to press into the outer fitting rather than over the fitting with a hose clamp over it. They thought I had dislodged it when putting the fill attachment in the fill opening.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Ohio
THOR #17753
Leaking Freshwater

Sounds almost exactly the same problem I had with our 2016 Thor 31L. We took it in for maintenance and they told us it was from over-filling the tank, even though there is a perfectly functional overflow tube.

I did some looking around, which is not easy with this coach, you must remove a wooden panel from the inside of the coach to get a glimpse of the water tank from the top.

It turned out to be leaking from the in-line filter to the water pump. I don't have a picture of it right now, but it is a small filter with a clear screw-on plastic cover. That cover was cracked and leaking and it would almost drain our entire tank given enough time. I bought a new filter and unscrewed the plastic top, and replaced my cracked top and problem solved. Hope this helps.

hahnmark25
Old 07-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #17

Model: Outlaw 29J
State: Ohio
THOR #14661
Tank is in a different position than yours on our Outlaw C class, but when they screwed the mount for the fire extinguisher to the wall they screwed it right into the water tank. Could be a screw somewhere that put a hole in your tank ? Just FYI.