Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Easy solution for slide seals that don't flip. Run a strip of 3M Safety-Walk Indoor/Outdoor Tread, Gray, 1-Inch by 180-Inch tape right next to seal on the outside when slide extended. Solved my problem and that was over two years ago.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #22

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
After 2 years and more than 200 camping days, my 2015 Vegas 24.1 developed a leak at the rear end of the slide. It would only leak if the rain was coming down very hard or if the wind was blowing pretty heavily with the rain. During a normal rain there was no leak.

The water was coming in under the rear front corner of the couch with the slide extended and running along the floor at the wall between the living area and the bathroom. Tilting the coach level toward the driver’s side would lesson, but not stop the leak in a driving rain storm. I borrowed a ladder from a fellow camper and here is what I found.

There are four rubber wipes on the slide opening – bottom, front & rear side, and top. I checked the bottom wipe thoroughly and it did not appear the bottom wipe had a void leading to the leak. The top wipe is about 6 inches long and is folded under across the top of the slide and about 4 inches of the wipe at the front and rear overlaps the side wipes beyond the side edge of the opening.

I checked the front side wipe and it looked good. I noticed at the top of the front side wipe the top wipe was overlapping the side wipe about 4 inches and was laying flat against the side wipe. The folding and overlapping of the top and side wipes at the top front corner formed rubber damming that prevented water from getting in at the front corner.

When I checked the top rear I noticed that the part of the top wipe that extended beyond the rear opening and overlapped the side wipe was not laying flat like the front was. In fact it was kind of folded up on itself and had created an opening between where the top wipe overlapped the side wipe. This opening looked like water in a normal rain would not get in; however, a torrential rain or blowing rain could go down this cupped area of the wipe and run down the inside corner of the slide wall into the cabin exactly where we were seeing the leak.

I bonded the part of the top seal overlap with silicon caulk so it laid flat like the front overlap. The remaining opening in the rear edge of the top wipe I caulked with silicon.

Last night we had a real “Gully Washer” of a rain storm, and there was no leak at the slide.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #23

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Slide Leak Update

After spending most of a week tracking down a slide leak I finally think I have fixed it.

The initial problem was discovered when parked at a tilt (slide side up hill) with the slides in. We experienced quite a storm. I traced that issue to a bulb slide that had slid down on one side of the slide. I pulled it back up and calked it in place (as suggested on this form). I also turned the slide bolts in one half turn allowing it to tighten more when retracted.

All of that solved the leaking from the top of the slide but I still had water leaking on the floor when the slide was pulled in. I opened the slide about 4 inches and looking underneath saw water dripping from the screws. It seems the facia trim that goes all the way around the slide has NO calking on the bottom piece. This allows the water to run down the face of the slide, seep through trim and leak on top of the bulb seal inside the slide. This obviously leaked all the time but only was noticeable when the slide was in.

I have calked along the top edge of the bottom facia trim and after it dries I will test. Keep you posted.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #24

THOR #4488
Final report...I am excited to report my slide no longer leaks.

The major leaking problem was coming from the fact the bottom facia on the slide itself was never calked. I'm thankful for the storm where we slept in the RV with the slide in. Otherwise we wouldn't have discovered the leak until damage of the slide floor occurred.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #25

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
my experience with wind driven water during a storm, your gonna lose, and it could impossible to seal against it,

a good strong wind with heavy rain can be driven through the tightest of seals, the water could be pushed a solid window frame it the temp, wind and direction are correct,

if you can seal it to survive the your garden hose spray, that is good as its gonna get. with the slide out you have more of a chance for leakage.

if it happened once during a real bad storm may never happen again
When you go to a pressure car wash, somewhat like wind driven rain, most cars will do a little leaking around the window seals.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #26

Model: 2018 Thor Challenger 37FH
State: Ohio
THOR #16271
Drive side bedroom slide, rain water between black woven vaper barrier

Here is one I need help with. 2018 Thor Challenger 37FH. Driver side bedroom slide. side in or out. Discovered today that rain water is getting between the black woven vaper barrier and OBS plywood slide floor, water making it way in side the coach along the slide floor and draining out at the edges of the slide floor on each side of the slide floor onto the main floor. depending on the rain storm, water is ruining from the back of the coach all the way up to front of coach by dog house cover.

Pouring rain today when discovered as I was working on other maintenance repairs inside the coach. Checking outside the coach under the slide floor, the black woven vaper barrier was swollen at the edges of the slide floor each side. running finger along swollen area toward coach wall pushed more water out inside at the edge of the vaper barrier and the side floor. No water getting in to the electronics area under the bed. Wonder how water is getting between vaper barrier and OBS plywood. Concerned for OBS plywood integrity, mold and mildew.

Big trips scheduled on the books that we would have to cancel if sent in to shop. Any DYI ideas for me to look at and try?

Joe O'
Old 05-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #27

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
Here is one I need help with. 2018 Thor Challenger 37FH. Driver side bedroom slide. side in or out. Discovered today that rain water is getting between the black woven vaper barrier and OBS plywood slide floor, water making it way in side the coach along the slide floor and draining out at the edges of the slide floor on each side of the slide floor onto the main floor. depending on the rain storm, water is ruining from the back of the coach all the way up to front of coach by dog house cover.

Pouring rain today when discovered as I was working on other maintenance repairs inside the coach. Checking outside the coach under the slide floor, the black woven vaper barrier was swollen at the edges of the slide floor each side. running finger along swollen area toward coach wall pushed more water out inside at the edge of the vaper barrier and the side floor. No water getting in to the electronics area under the bed. Wonder how water is getting between vaper barrier and OBS plywood. Concerned for OBS plywood integrity, mold and mildew.

Big trips scheduled on the books that we would have to cancel if sent in to shop. Any DYI ideas for me to look at and try?

Joe O'
Joe, refer to a previous post of mine from 2017. Your problem sounds like a common one and if so, easy to fix. My slide leaked all the time but I didn't know it until I spent the night in it during a thunderstorm with the slide in. I walked through the motorhome to check the weather and my foot stepped in a puddle of water.
Long story short...I caulked along the top edge of the bottom facia trim...I haven't had a problem since. Water was seeping into the trim and got between the plywood floor and the wrap that covers it. The water would then find its way out along a screw hole under slide. Normally it would evaporate in time on the floor under the slide until that one fateful night. The motorhome was tilted enough the water trickled across the floor until my foot found it.

I went around the motorhome and found several other areas with no caulking, such as the Hot Water Heater, Outside TV and outside Kitchen.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:28 PM   #28
The Beast

I have the same Challenger 37 FH with the exact same problem you described. Appears that water in getting inside of the slide's wall and running between the vapor barrier and the outside skin. My problem was the awning topper was screwed to the outside of the slide without sealant. I removed the screws to find them very rusty. I sealed the screws and added a bead of sealant between the awning support bracket and the slide wall. Problem solved...for now.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #29

Model: 2018 Thor Challenger 37FH
State: Ohio
THOR #16271
DS bedroom slide leaks

Thanks Beast & Miramar -

I will look at both of those suggestions as the RV is setting on my driveway with another issue. 24 foot slide is stuck out about 12 inches. Bound up at top rear and can not get it to retract. popped motor but but can only get side about half way in. 12 inches at bottom 16 inches at top rear of slide.

fun-fun!