Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2018, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Smile 2018 Thor Chateau 31W low point drains?

Greetings! I searched the threads and didn't see an answer, so I've got to ask... I just bought a 2016 Thor Chateau 31W two months ago and it's getting near time to winterize. I've asked the dealer and service department several times where the low point drains are, and they keep telling me they don't know and need to contact the factory. Yet they also say to bring it in and THEY will be happy to winterize it (for a fee, of course).

I can't find anything online about the location of the drains for this model, so if anyone knows offhand, please let me know, otherwise I'm going to go with my best guess and start looking under the bed where the fresh tank and pump are (although I hate messing with all the wires and stuff in that area).

Also, the unit has an on-demand water heater. I like the fact that it never runs out of hot water, but nobody mentioned how to empty it or should I just pump the pink stuff through it? The dealer did a really poor job of telling me how things worked....

Old 10-30-2018, 01:52 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Call Thor with your VIN and ask for the engineering diagrams for your coach. One of them will show the plumbing layout including where the low point drains are.

(The phone number is on the customer assistance page on their website.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:05 AM   #3

THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Call Thor with your VIN and ask for the engineering diagrams for your coach.

Thanks. I have the diagrams for wiring and plumbing which show that it DOES have the drains, but in a block diagram it doesn't say WHERE they're located.

Believe it or not, one of the defects that came out of the factory was that the bathroom and kitchen furnace outlets didn't blow air, and the dealer found that the factory never drilled the hole in the floor to run the ducts.

I've owned the unit for 80 days. It's been in my possession for 24 days and back in the shop for repairs for 56 days. I'm NOT a happy camper...
Old 10-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
Thanks. I have the diagrams for wiring and plumbing which show that it DOES have the drains, but in a block diagram it doesn't say WHERE they're located.

Believe it or not, one of the defects that came out of the factory was that the bathroom and kitchen furnace outlets didn't blow air, and the dealer found that the factory never drilled the hole in the floor to run the ducts.

I've owned the unit for 80 days. It's been in my possession for 24 days and back in the shop for repairs for 56 days. I'm NOT a happy camper...
Really? Hmm the diagrams I have for pluming from Thor for our Axis shows the routing and position of all the plumbing. Sadly the electrical one isn't nearly as detailed.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #5

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
On my 31E the low point drains are underneath the fridge. There is an access panel there that you have to unscrew to get to the valves. I think your 31W has a residential fridge so it might be different, but I would look around that area since your floorplan is similar. If you look underneath the coach you should be able to see the drain lines somewhere, which is how I figured out where mine are.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #6

THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
On my 31E the low point drains are underneath the fridge. There is an access panel there that you have to unscrew to get to the valves. I think your 31W has a residential fridge so it might be different, but I would look around that area since your floorplan is similar. If you look underneath the coach you should be able to see the drain lines somewhere, which is how I figured out where mine are.

That's what I figured too, but I've been underneath the coach (at least all that I can see with limited access) and haven't found them yet.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
There is no requirement to have a bypass for the tankless water heater. You will need to shut the 12volt power off for it. If you take the outside door off, there is an on and off switch for it. If you don't power it off it will go to the winterize mode which will cycle it on and off.
Now back to the bypass for the water heater. Although there is no requirement for it, Thor actually plumbed one on mine. Why? Here is a link for the manuals. https://greenrvproducts.com/pages/owner
Old 10-30-2018, 01:49 PM   #8

THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Really? Hmm the diagrams I have for pluming from Thor for our Axis shows the routing and position of all the plumbing. Sadly the electrical one isn't nearly as detailed.

I'll check again, but the book I had only showed a typical system in block diagram that had no bearing on my particular unit.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
I'll check again, but the book I had only showed a typical system in block diagram that had no bearing on my particular unit.

Email Thor and ask for the plumbing drawings for your coach. They usually send them promptly. Ask for the electrical drawings while you are at it.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #10

THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Email Thor and ask for the plumbing drawings for your coach. They usually send them promptly. Ask for the electrical drawings while you are at it.

Thanks, Pete. I just emailed them.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #11535
I would look under coach where the low point drain pipes exit coach. It will give you a good idea where the valves are in the coach.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:33 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
On my 2018 31w the low point valves are under the fridge. Pull out the drawer under the fridge to access. That's also where the water line to the ice maker attaches that I missed last year when I winterized.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #13

State: Ontario
THOR #12247
I found mine under the dinnette bench closest t washroom on my 2018 31y four winds
If you follow from under bed the go out to oassenger side wall and probably feed washroom then to dinette
Old 11-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #2442
Low point drains NOT

Just FYI On my Vegas 25.2 - 2015. The Low point drains are not at the low point. They are close, but the water lines from driver to pass side are lower than the LPD's. IE they will not totally drain the system. And you will still need to use antifreeze or blow it out.
David
Old 11-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #15

Model: FourWinds 24F
THOR #7056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
I would look under coach where the low point drain pipes exit coach. It will give you a good idea where the valves are in the coach.
I traced a leak under my 24F to my drains; one of the values worked loose; until then I had no idea where they were - because they are completely hidden under the plumbing lines from the water pump and the lines coming from the other side of the coach. These valves are totally useless where they are located. Another Thor masterpiece.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #16

State: Alaska
THOR #13281
Smile

On my 2018 ACE 27.2 I think the low point is the
outside shower. Anyone know different?

Thanks, Rich
Old 11-11-2018, 12:26 AM   #17

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Illinois
THOR #13214
Mine is a 5ver but are underneath but barely stick through the underbelly material,, with 2 pipe caps, one red and one blue,, I was under there 4 times before I saw them
Old 11-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #18

THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
On my 2018 31w the low point valves are under the fridge. Pull out the drawer under the fridge to access. That's also where the water line to the ice maker attaches that I missed last year when I winterized.

That was it, under the fridge! Thank you so much!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #19

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
No problem
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #20

Model: Chanteau
State: Arizona
THOR #12515
After draining the main water tank, valve is connected to side of tank. We just poured a gallon of RV Winterizing antifreeze into the water tank, switched on RV water pump, then opened each faucet till we saw pink. That should add the antifreeze to all lines including hot water tank.

Tags
31w, chateau, drain, low, thor