Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
The Leaky 2019 Thor A.C.E. 30.2 ...

Hey folks ... looking for some repair advice/experience.

I'm on my 2nd 2019 Thor Thor A.C.E. 30.2 ... I'll forgo the story. My current 2019 is out of warranty, but has been used very little .. 800 miles on it. I was prepping for winter storage & giving the unit a good shake down - found several issues I need to address; but, foremost, three (3) active leaks.

1) The flexible pipe in the slide (under the bunks) for the kitchen sink drain. It's leaking at both ends where it connects to the fixed plumbing. I can slow the leak, but not "stop" it. The factory has the flexible pipe friction fitted with a zip tie contraption holding it together. Has anyone devised some more secure (leak proof) engineering for this?

2) I have the dreaded rear tail light leak (Command 003-30 incandescent model). This has been well documented from what I see on the forums. I'll likely convert to the LED model & reseal with butyl tape. Pictured is the passenger side; the drivers side doesn't have water droplets as it doesn't even contact the body at the bottom! So, its getting plenty of airflow .

3) I had water pooling in the storage compartment just under the holding tanks. It was dripping from the penetration where the two white PEX lines (tank flush) go into the body for a back-flow preventer loop. By taking out the "pet food" drawer in the bathroom, I traced the leak to a bathroom sink supply line that got popped with a cabinet staple. The water was running down the supply line. Problem is, one end of the supply line is not accessible unless I remove the "night stand" cabinet (nearest the bathroom) in the bedroom! Why in the heck they didn't make this connection in an accessible location is beyond me! I guess, alternatively, I could splice the supply line where the puncture is? It's the J&S braided supply line type that is used throughout the coach.

Old 10-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty.Deuce View Post
Hey folks ... looking for some repair advice/experience.

I'm on my 2nd 2019 Thor Thor A.C.E. 30.2 ... I'll forgo the story. My current 2019 is out of warranty, but has been used very little .. 800 miles on it. I was prepping for winter storage & giving the unit a good shake down - found several issues I need to address; but, foremost, three (3) active leaks.

1) The flexible pipe in the slide (under the bunks) for the kitchen sink drain. It's leaking at both ends where it connects to the fixed plumbing. I can slow the leak, but not "stop" it. The factory has the flexible pipe friction fitted with a zip tie contraption holding it together. Has anyone devised some more secure (leak proof) engineering for this?

2) I have the dreaded rear tail light leak (Command 003-30 incandescent model). This has been well documented from what I see on the forums. I'll likely convert to the LED model & reseal with butyl tape. Pictured is the passenger side; the drivers side doesn't have water droplets as it doesn't even contact the body at the bottom! So, its getting plenty of airflow .

3) I had water pooling in the storage compartment just under the holding tanks. It was dripping from the penetration where the two white PEX lines (tank flush) go into the body for a back-flow preventer loop. By taking out the "pet food" drawer in the bathroom, I traced the leak to a bathroom sink supply line that got popped with a cabinet staple. The water was running down the supply line. Problem is, one end of the supply line is not accessible unless I remove the "night stand" cabinet (nearest the bathroom) in the bedroom! Why in the heck they didn't make this connection in an accessible location is beyond me! I guess, alternatively, I could splice the supply line where the puncture is? It's the J&S braided supply line type that is used throughout the coach.

My Thor Ace 27.1 leaks like a sieve in numerous places and is permanently damaged. I have less than 12K mikes on it.. Will never buy another Thor.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsnook View Post
My Thor Ace 27.1 leaks like a sieve in numerous places and is permanently damaged. I have less than 12K mikes on it.. Will never buy another Thor.

I had a 2017 Winnebago 29VE and it also has its kitchen in a slide. Even after several attempt to repair and reengineer it I still had occasional leaks in the drain line. I concluded that having plumbing in a slide is just a bad idea. Avoiding it went on my list of “must haves” for my next coach. And I’m glad to say I’ve got a pretty good machine now!
Old 10-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I have a 2017 ACE 30.2. I have no plumbing leaks but a leak at the shower door. It’s manageable. The tail light issue I caught early before the delam got bad. Luckily it was only about 1.5-2” at the bottom of the lights. I did a repair and I replaced them with the LEDs. In a year 1 LED failed already. Since I was out of the 1 yr warranty by 2 weeks they sent me a new LED board to solder in. NO, not the entire light. [emoji848]. I can email you my pics and process I did that delam repair if you’d like.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:36 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
I can email you my pics and process I did that delam repair if you’d like.
Sure ... the more knowledge, the better! Did you use the gasket that came with the LED set (assuming you got the same Command brand)? And, if so, is that what failed again in a year?

I was thinking of using a band of Butyl all the way around instead of the gasket; and, then, trimming out the edges with silicone. It seems the supplied gasket just wont cut it ... and what else is bad is the same gasket is used at "all" the little running light locations!
Old 10-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
PM me your email address and I’ll send you the repair I did. I didn’t use the foam gasket they sent with the LEDs. It’s the same junk on the originals. It’s the same manufacturer so go figure they are not that astute to problem-solving. I used a roll of 1” wide dicor to seal the LEDs to the RV. No leak or anything like that the LED board just stopped working. Probably crappy Chinese parts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2837.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	26623