Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24SS
State: Colorado
THOR #6217
Leaky skylight in Siesta

I have a leak in the sky light of our new 24SS Siesta, 2017. First trip, first rain and it leaks. Can someone tell me if this is typical of new Thor products, or a rare occurrence. Most important, how to find the problem and fix it. All suggestions would be considered. Unit seems to be tight and properly closed. Thanks. Tom

Old 02-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #2

THOR #6217
Stopped at a Camping World on the way from AZ to Seattle, had the leaking skylight looked at. Technician found 2x2 inch piece of scrap metal between the frame of the skylight and the roof, making for a significant leak. Metal was scrap left there by factory. Caulked around skylight. Then, last night, skylight again leaking. Grrrrr.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Nothing against CW but you might look for another place to get this looked at. Is this CW the selling dealer too? Have you contacted Thor Customer Care about the problem? Making sure that CW advised Thor of the problem is crucial to getting factory support. In other words, getting it adequately documented is almost as important as the repair itself. I had several window leaks, along with problems with the TPO-to-fiberglass seals, that my dealer had to fix... and it was a factory assembly defects.

Maybe some other more seasoned owners could offer suggestions too.
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

THOR #6217
Thanks for the reply. Now, both windows on sides of the upper cab-over bunk leak also, in addition to the sky light.. Grrrrrr. Have appointment with CW in Mesa, AZ, which is the selling dealer to get this stuff hopefully fixed in March.

Also, furnace will not work, just the AC.

Tom in Seattle
Old 02-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

State: New Mexico
THOR #1236
Tom, just went thru the same leak problems with my Sprinter skylight (see my related posts) and my teardrop windows over the cab. I just finished having my skylight fixed (I hope) by pulling the whole unit and putting a good and adequate seal underneath the unit where it sits on top of the roof fiberglass. The factory seal was useless and poorly installed. I sealed the windows around the outside edge about a year ago and no problems since. Keep and eye on all your windows since every one of mine leaked at one time or another in the first year of ownership.

My furnace did the same thing last winter. If you are comfortable, pull the interior cowling off of the AC unit and look for a loose wire that controls the furnace (yes it is in the AC unit). Mine was an easy reattachment and solved the problem. The RV tech who told me about this says it is a very common issue in these Dometic systems.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #6

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: North Carolina
THOR #3608
2016 24st

I had the water leak on the front cab area last year ,right after purchasing. Summer of 2016 had a water leak on the back glass behind the bed. Had to take back to dealer both times. Sure it was fixed for free at the dealer , but a pain that we had to go through this.