Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Leaping Leaking Lippert

I noticed the area around my Lippert pump and reservoir were damp and couldn't figure out where the fluid was coming from. I ended up watching the unit do it's thing while extending and retracting the leveling jacks. At the end of each cycle a small amount of fluid was surging out of the reservoir from under the cap.

I checked that the cap was tight but it still happened. Since I'm still pretty new to this I didn't realize just how much fluid had leaked out over the summer, the level is about 1.5" below the fill cap.

Has anyone seen this? I called Lippert and they suggested I get a new cap which sort of irritates me given the fact that I've never touched this.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Is there enough fluid in your reservoir now to fully extend your jacks? I believe that the cap is also a breather and will leak if over filled like ours was from the factory. After leaking the first several times using the jacks and upsetting me because I had to clean it up, our jacks have worked perfectly. There is still fluid in the tank when fully extended, and no more mess to clean up.
Mike
Old 10-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Is there enough fluid in your reservoir now to fully extend your jacks? I believe that the cap is also a breather and will leak if over filled like ours was from the factory. After leaking the first several times using the jacks and upsetting me because I had to clean it up, our jacks have worked perfectly. There is still fluid in the tank when fully extended, and no more mess to clean up.
Mike
There is barely enough fluid in the reservoir now. The tech I spoke to at Lippert said the level should be a 1/4" below the cap when the jacks are fully retracted. I have over 1.5" due to fluid loss. This seems to have been going on for a long time and the system hasn't been touched since new.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
This is due to OVERFILL of fluid - it's designed to allow this to happen.

The container is not designed to be 'filled' to the top. If the leveling jacks are 'down', then the container will look very, very low, making you think it doesn't have enough fluid - but that's not the case. Most of the fluid is now out in the lines and pushing the legs down.
If the levelers are up, and stored for travel, the container will be 'mostly' full, as much of the fluid is now back in container.

If you have leaking fluid, you have too much fluid in your container - there would be no other reason for fluid to be pushed UP and thru the cap.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
and yes, most of us learn the hard way about this.... I had a problem with my levelers once, and thought that the container was too 'low' - what i didn't realize, though, is that while my levelers where 'down', raising my coach, the container is supposed to be that way.
I added more fluid, thinking I was solving the problem....BOY, what a MESS ensued when I was later able to 'raise' my levelers! I won't do that again!
Old 10-30-2019, 07:49 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
I noticed the area around my Lippert pump and reservoir were damp and couldn't figure out where the fluid was coming from. I ended up watching the unit do it's thing while extending and retracting the leveling jacks. At the end of each cycle a small amount of fluid was surging out of the reservoir from under the cap.

I checked that the cap was tight but it still happened. Since I'm still pretty new to this I didn't realize just how much fluid had leaked out over the summer, the level is about 1.5" below the fill cap.

Has anyone seen this? I called Lippert and they suggested I get a new cap which sort of irritates me given the fact that I've never touched this.

I had this same issue, and it wasn't because of the reservoir being overfilled.

The cap was bad. I called Lippert and had them send me a new cap. Problem solved.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #7

THOR #14595
I'm looking at the level when the jacks are retracted and it is still 1.5" below the cap. According to the manual the level should be .25" below the cap in this condition. I'll try Lippert again.