Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Texas
THOR #27736
Interior lights on dim when switched off

Hi All,
We have a new to us 2021 ACE 33.1 that we bought in August. We're still learning all its features. Last night, in the night, I noticed that the living room interior lights are on dim. When I flip the switch they come on full but don't go off completely when I switch them off. They hadn't been this way in the past. Has anyone had this happen? Am I doing something wrong or do I have an electrical issue?
Thanks, Pete

Old 10-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandNSmith View Post
Hi All,

We have a new to us 2021 ACE 33.1 that we bought in August. We're still learning all its features. Last night, in the night, I noticed that the living room interior lights are on dim. When I flip the switch they come on full but don't go off completely when I switch them off. They hadn't been this way in the past. Has anyone had this happen? Am I doing something wrong or do I have an electrical issue?

Thanks, Pete
Find your electrical panel that contains all the automotive style fuses... Gently wiggle while pressing on each one. I have had this happen to me and found that always cleared it up. Just make sure the fuse has good solid connection.

You may have something else going on but that's where I'd start.

Good luck. [emoji4]
Old 10-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #3

THOR #27736
Thanks so much! I'll try that right away.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
More info please

Do you have one of those fancy touch panels that controls lights/devices? Also is it only one set of lights and what type, maybe LED, that is affected?

Also, is there a dimmer possibly involved?
Old 10-13-2022, 02:09 AM   #5

THOR #27736
Unfortunately, fuse jiggle didn’t work. No fancy panel. Hunted for a dimmer but don’t find one. I had the mobile repair guys out to look at it today and they’re baffled. Said they’re going to research it and come back tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:49 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks, Pete
Probably the key to the issue. What did they tap off the light circuit? Generally dim DC lights when turned off indicate some backfeeding through another device to ground.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #7

THOR #27736
Yes. They were discussing that but couldn’t find the source.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #8

THOR #16471
Quote:
Yes. They were discussing that but couldn’t find the source.
You could try removing the LittleFuses in the DC panel one at a time, the lights should go out when its normal fuse is pulled, then if they (dim lights) go out when a 2nd fuse is pulled, you may have a backfeed. Is there a second 3-way switch (front and back) for these lights?

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #9

State: Louisiana
THOR #26495
Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks, Pete
Had this very same thing happen on a coach recently. It was on a 2020 Jayco Alante but the systems are fairly similar. In this case it happened to be a defective "battery boost" solenoid that was allowing DC power to backfeed into the "house" circuit.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #10

THOR #27736
There are two switches - both front and back. I’ll try removing the fuses one at a time and also check the battery boost. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:57 PM   #11

THOR #16471
And one thing to think of, did you make any changes prior to this problem showing up? As asked before, was anything added to the electrical, or was any screw driven in somewhere... What type of lights are we dealing with here, incandescent or LED? Do you have a voltmeter?

EDIT: I looked at the brochure and it indicates it is LED lighting... That makes it more of a head scratcher for me, I am old school 'filament' type of person.

EDIT #2: Also in the brochure it indicates you have a "Systems Control Center", now that sounds like something that may control the lights (among other things)...
Old 10-13-2022, 05:14 PM   #12

THOR #27736
Yeah I'm old school too and I've had trouble in my house when we switched to LEDs. I love them when they work. I racked my brain to remember if there had been any changes, even so small as a new switch being flipped, and I can't think of any. They weren't that way the night before, but of course they so dim that you can't see them during the day unless you look really hard. The only difference that happened between the night before and when we noticed them was that it was pouring rain as we were driving.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Yeah I'm old school too and I've had trouble in my house when we switched to LEDs. I love them when they work. I racked my brain to remember if there had been any changes, even so small as a new switch being flipped, and I can't think of any. They weren't that way the night before, but of course they so dim that you can't see them during the day unless you look really hard. The only difference that happened between the night before and when we noticed them was that it was pouring rain as we were driving.
Could be a clue to a water leak. Maybe water/moisture in one of the switches/controllers. Does it go away after a good dry spell?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 01:21 AM   #14

THOR #27736
Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. Turns out it was a defective command center for the solar. We’ve disconnected it and ordered a new one under warranty. We’ve never used it, but figured since it’s under warranty we’d replace it. Thanks again.