Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
LED lights burned out

Just got back from a weekend and this is what I noticed Friday evening. I

sent the pic to Thor warranty via email as I had connected them last week re the two front driving LED light strips with burned out LED's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drv LED.jpeg
Views:	422
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	689   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSG LED.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	690  

Name:	Awning light burned out.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	691  

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have the same issue on our Axis. I figure I'll just figure out what the brand/part the LED strip is and replace it myself...especially since I'm long past warranty at this point.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
During my PDI the dealer mentioned the LEDs burning out and suggested that I check them all prior to the warranty expiration and having any that need be replaced under warranty.

Apparently the burned out LEDs are an issue on all RV brands.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Apparently the burned out LEDs are an issue on all RV brands.
And cars! Around my neighborhood I kinda notice the burned out Tesla, Benz, and BMW LED light strips.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 AM   #5

THOR #1295
Funny! They are rated for like a million hours - guess not! They are very inexpensive to buy and replace but I figure before the warranty runs out in October!
(THOR)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Funny! They are rated for like a million hours - guess not! They are very inexpensive to buy and replace but I figure before the warranty runs out in October!
Yes, even LED lights I by for the house seem to burn out rather quickly sometimes....or they are just defective!! I have the same Hurricane except 34E I guess I better check mine!!
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
LEDs are solid state and should run for millions of hours but these strips are exposed to the elements--it wouldn't surprise me to find out Thor used indoor rated LED strips here! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One point to note is if you have them replaced under warranty try to have both strips replaced. I saw a coach a month ago where the front LEDs on one side were bright white and the other side had a distinct yellow hue to them. I thought it looked like crap. BTW, it wasn't a Thor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
My experience is that if an LED is going to go out it will do so in the first 10 - 20 hours of use. If it lasts beyond that they will last a long time.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LEDs are solid state and should run for millions of hours but these strips are exposed to the elements--it wouldn't surprise me to find out Thor used indoor rated LED strips here! LOL
Actually commodity LEDs are rated for about 20,000 hours, (still a very long time of operation).

LED lighting is only as good as the components that they are made from. For DC systems the resistors are the weak link in the chain. For AC systems the rectifier circuit will fail far sooner that the LEDs.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I had a neighbor for a short while maybe 2-3 years ago that was in some kind of sales of LED's for industrial applications. I remember him saying once that LED's still have a very high infant mortality rate and a high half life, or some such thing.... but that there were fastly improving
I didn't get into the details with him much on it unfortunately, but I remember it because I have had so many fail early.... even they have these unbelievable published life span specs....

I installed LED's on my boat trailer, several of the individual LED in one of the tail lights failed very soon.... and a couple more have failed over the years...
& I have seen so many more do the same..... like these 3rd brake lights on cars.

Back in the mid 90's, I did some work with some machinery built by a Finnish company to optically measure and classify wood chips. This thing used and LED strip, much like many cars use today for their 3rd brake lights, as the light source. These strips were very expensive as I understand it, and were held to a much higher QC standard.... but we would still see some failures of individual LEDs occasionally.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #12

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
....I remember him saying once that LED's still have a very high infant mortality rate and a high half life, or some such thing.... but that there were fastly improving.....
In one of my recent past lives, I have worked as an Engineering Manager at a Southern California company that manufactures LED assemblies of all shapes and sizes for government, military, aerospace, commercial, industrial, entertainment, transportation and automotive applications.

Essentially they ALL use the same commodity LEDs, (except for government and military contracts that explicitly require the LEDs to be domestically produced).

The big difference in the finished product, (besides the quality of the individual electronic components), is the testing. The LED cluster used on the control console of the F35 fighter jet is going to use top rated resistors that cost about $5.00 each. An almost identical cluster used in a Chevy Corvette is going to use resistors that cost $0.45 each. The similar LED cluster you can purchase on Ebay and made in China uses resistors that cost about 25 for $0.01.

As far as testing goes, (the only method to weed out infant mortality)...... The F53's LED cluster is going to be burn-in tested for over 80 hours before it's packaged. The Chevy Corvette's cluster is going to be tested for 3 hours. And the Ebay LED cluster will be burn-in tested as soon as you install it into your application.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #13

THOR #1599
Just out of curiosity.......has anyone tried to have them replaced under warranty? I could see Thor saying they are lights, like headlights, and bulbs are not covered under warranty????
San Antonio, Tx
Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #14

THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
Just out of curiosity.......has anyone tried to have them replaced under warranty? I could see Thor saying they are lights, like headlights, and bulbs are not covered under warranty????
Here is an email I just received from Thor!

Hi Darren

Thanks for the pictures, I will put this thru and have them send you both the headlight LED’s and the awning. I will have them shipped with a return tag because I will need all the defective parts back.

Thanks and have a great day

Warranty/Customer Service

The package is on a UPS truck and will be delivered today! I am so impressed right now with Thor! yes, you did read correct! I can not believe it myself. WOW!
(THOR)
Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
In the last 6 months, between my selling dealer and Thor I have been very happy with my warranty claims and results. I have had slideout issues, A/C issues, plumbing, mouldings, camera, LEDs, wiring... all have been happily resolved. Not to say I have been frustrated because things were broken/did not work when I started using my coach. The QC of my previous Tiffn and previous Thor were pathetic as well. Since most coaches use the same products/vendors, a bad batch of products can be spread out thru all coach manufacturers.

Have a great weekend!
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #16

THOR #1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Here is an email I just received from Thor!

Hi Darren

Thanks for the pictures, I will put this thru and have them send you both the headlight LED’s and the awning. I will have them shipped with a return tag because I will need all the defective parts back.

Thanks and have a great day

Warranty/Customer Service

The package is on a UPS truck and will be delivered today! I am so impressed right now with Thor! yes, you did read correct! I can not believe it myself. WOW!

Lol......Darren impressed with Thor.....say it isn't so😉😉 All joking aside, did you call them about the warranty issue on the Led's......or email them cold? If so, could you share the warranty email you used? Thanks
San Antonio, Tx
Old 08-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #17

THOR #1295

Name:	Thor warranty.jpeg
Views:	394
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	730

Here they are - UPS priority 2 days later! Wow!

Tyt, I contacted Thor initially via their form letter generator on their website about the front LED driving lights. When I noticed the awning lights I replied to their email with additional pictures (the email is below),
Darren

wsupport@tmcrv.com
(THOR)
Old 08-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #18

THOR #1599
Ok thanks......unfortunately, I can't check my awning lights.....as my awning still has not worked since i bought it! CW is fighting with the awning company to have a new awning sent.. But I believe I have a few LED in the headlight areas that are bad also.

Tom
San Antonio, Tx
Old 08-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #19

Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
WE had the same issue at PDI. I took delivery anyway, because we wanted to get going and there were and still no major issues. In fact it is in the shop now ready to be picked up next Tuesday. included rep[airs, drivers side LED 4 burnt out bulbs, (replace) outside sink fills with water,(pin hole in a p trap p trap replaced) outside latch does not hold door locked, (lock and catch adjusted) inside sofa, left seat sagging (repaired), sofa sliding drawer opens with vehicle in motion, repaired we are using a door stop to keep it closed), interior trim above dinette and sofa fell off while in travel (replaced), left rear backup lens filled with water droplets (repaired), stove top cover right hinge tab missing(glitch here wrong part was sent part was for a microwave bracket), change generator oil and filter.
Compared to some of what I've read to other's issues with new delivery's I am happy with our 2015 Hurricane 31S and the repairs made and the shop time about 12 days.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #20

THOR #1295

Name:	Couch drawer fix.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	733

Taking,

Glad to hear you are getting things fixed - excellent. Here is what I did to stop the under couch drawer from sliding open when driving. Magnets! Ordered them on ebay and stuck screwed them in the wooden frame of the drawer - worked perfectly.
(THOR)