Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2018, 03:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10011
LED tail lights

Wondering if replacing the incandescent tail light bulbs with LED bulbs is worth the time and cost. Also thinking the same about interior lights bulbs as well.
Anybody have any experiences either doing this or not? Thanks for your input.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:46 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mac View Post
Wondering if replacing the incandescent tail light bulbs with LED bulbs is worth the time and cost. Also thinking the same about interior lights bulbs as well.
I replaced my entire taillight assemblies with LED fixtures & very pleased, they are much more visible. As for changing bulbs inside, haven't had much luck, tried several brands from el cheapo to expensive, the LEDs seem to quit prematurely so I've stuck with the halogens, others have had great luck.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:08 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mac View Post
My taillights were already LED...
I've replaced the side marker lights outside - needed replacement lenses - bought ones with LEDs mounted in lens that plugged into existing socket/base.

I replaced all interior bulbs (except one inside the microwave) and 'porch light' with LED...
Important to get bulbs rated HIGHER than 12v... As our rigs are often seeing 13-14 volts.
Everything I bought was rated 12-24v... Runs cool.... and plenty bright.

I have had to replace a few of the bulbs in pancake lights in 2 years... You get what you pay for - but still WELL ahead of the cost of buying new LED fixtures.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Please explain what possible advantage there would be to replacing the outside lamps. I can get changing the inside but the outside just seems like another hole to throw money in. Lots of money.

Bill
Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Be careful on the LED tail lights I've been noticing a lot of them say LED but all of the bulbs in there are not LED seems like the reverse light is still an actual light bulb on some...so read the description carefully.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Be careful changing duel element bulbs with LED. I tried that on a trailer and it created a feedback problem. The LED bulbs do not have two distinct circuits like an incandescent bulb.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I completely swapped incandescent with LED on my past two campers. One was a 2013 Cougar and the other a 2006 Lance. I consider them both a huge success.

This is the info for the Cougar's 921 bulbs.

10X Warm White T10 194 921 W5W 24-SMD LED RV Landscaping Light Lamp Bulb US Ship

This is the ebay seller where I bought them.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/autosaver88...p2047675.l2559
Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Please explain what possible advantage there would be to replacing the outside lamps. I can get changing the inside but the outside just seems like another hole to throw money in. Lots of money.

Bill
In my case I had to do something... The lenses on side marker lights deteriorated and disintegrated... Replacing with LED wasn't much more expensive - and my hope would be the reduced heat might let the new lenses last longer... The old ones got quite hot - and that can't help the life of lenses.
Most of my exterior are already LED (from factory).
As Travelin' Texans said - they can be much more visible (when done right). He was replacing entire assemblies.

Less important than the inside bulbs certainly... which is aimed at extending battery life when boondocking - as well as heat reduction.
(I'd put the outside porch bulb in the 'inside' category - as often used when parked.)

Of course it's what works for you..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
When I replaced my taillights I also removed the back up lights & replaced them with the same taillight fixtures, don't ever plan on backing up after dark. Now when I turn on the lights or hit the brakes they will be seen, unlike before they were barely visible in daylight.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
Be careful changing duel element bulbs with LED. I tried that on a trailer and it created a feedback problem. The LED bulbs do not have two distinct circuits like an incandescent bulb.
I am in the process of swapping out the stock incandescent tail lights on our '16 Axis with a complete LED option. They are made by the same company, Command Electronics out of Michigan. I made this choice instead of the Bargmann brand because they fit the same cut out. They did send the same spongy seal so I am going to try sealing them with stick on butyl tape instead. I have tested the new LED lights on the bench and the brightness is typically amazing, including the back-ups.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7074
Thank you for the tip I'm going to look them up right now. I figure if I have to take mine out anyway because the moisture I might as well put something in there that I'll never have trouble with again after sealing the cavities.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
If you replace the whole fixture that will be fine. I just tried to replace the bulb in my trailer.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #13

THOR #3483
Command Electronics Email

"Thank you for the information!

We have 2 options with LED:

The first option is to have LED boards in the RED ONLY (white stays incandescent bulb back up). This is offered as an “upgrade kit” and uses your existing deep frame. The kit contains 2 RED LED boards, a new lens, and all small and large gaskets. This kit model runs $38.00 PER LIGHT, part number 016-3.

The second option is more popular- ALL LED on a thin frame (same dimensions but thinner). This model is only offered as an entire unit (replace and go). This model runs $59.95 PER LIGHT. Since you have a Thor unit, the part number is 003-30LEM3. Thor requests a special 4 square harness applied on the end of the wires.

I have attached specs of the all LED thin frame and your current thick frame so you can see the difference."

This is the copy of the email I received from Command Electronics.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
"Thank you for the information!

We have 2 options with LED:

The first option is to have LED boards in the RED ONLY (white stays incandescent bulb back up). This is offered as an “upgrade kit” and uses your existing deep frame. The kit contains 2 RED LED boards, a new lens, and all small and large gaskets. This kit model runs $38.00 PER LIGHT, part number 016-3.

The second option is more popular- ALL LED on a thin frame (same dimensions but thinner). This model is only offered as an entire unit (replace and go). This model runs $59.95 PER LIGHT. Since you have a Thor unit, the part number is 003-30LEM3. Thor requests a special 4 square harness applied on the end of the wires.

I have attached specs of the all LED thin frame and your current thick frame so you can see the difference."

This is the copy of the email I received from Command Electronics.
That is cool that they include the harness to make it an easy swap out.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #15

THOR #3483
Yes, Jamie, I haven't taken the old ones off yet to see if it is true or not. Holding my breath.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
looks great- please post pictures on the swap; there will be a lot of people interested! Mine is up for some work this year- fixed one side last year.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 PM   #17

THOR #3483
So far so good! Removed the right original and after finding a way to use what little slack they left in the wiring, used the plug connection with the new LED unit. It works!!! Yes, when done, I'll post pictures. A bit irritating that they pulled the plug to the lights down the aluminum channel. Nothing is completely easy with these things. I also found some stainless steel panhead wood screws to replace the semi-rusted self tapping screws that were used at the factory. Got them at Lowes.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:20 AM   #18

THOR #3483
A bit busy so I finished replacing the right tail light. I used black butyl tape as a gasket around the edge instead of the same spongy gasket that was used by Command Electronics. I also found rubber o-rings for the stainless steel #8 screws.
Just an observation about the original incandescent unit as well as this LED version- they have the rear black plastic holding the bulbs or the LED set up, then there is the separate red lens cover over it. If you have a burnt out bulb in the original set up, you have to remove the two screws securing the back up light then remove the six outside screws to remove the red lens cover. A major pain in the rear if you ask me. Not a user friendly design. Hoping that this LED replacement does the trick. Stand by on my pictures.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:32 AM   #19

THOR #3483
Command Electronics LEDs

The tail light swap out is done. The supplied plugs worked, making it a nice swap, not having to go the wire connector/soldering route. The butyl rubber tape is something I have not used before and it seems like it will be more water tight than the spongy seals supplied.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7074
Did you have to specify or pay extra for the connectors? I was following your thread and ordered from the same company I have the lights already ready they came in two days .