Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
State: Iowa
THOR #18603
Electrical mystery

We recently purchased a gently used 2012 40ft Tuscany. When it’s plugged into shore power, it will randomly click from shore power to inverter and quickly back to shore power. We had the relay switch replaced, but that did not fix the problem. We love our new rig, but this problem is very annoying. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There's a transfer switch somewhere in the equation; that should be taking care of this sort of thing...
I'd look into what's going on with that item...
(Or is that the relay switch that you referenced?}
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #1808
what relay was changed? i would look there for improper securing of wires WITH ALL POWER REMOVED.

does it do it with only shore power? will it not happen on genny power? if it only happens on shore power, definitely look at the transfer switch box
wiring
what size magnum inverter is installed?

and is the transfer switch box the original from factory? I ask because its a weak link. if you need to replace it, spend the extra and get a surgeguard one or another quality brand.

and have you checked ALL ground lugs for the 120 volt system?

1st i would turn off all ac power, disconnect shore power form pedestal.

turn OFF the inverter

turn off house batteries.

open up the A/C fuse panel and check each and every ground and each and every breaker for security of the wires in the lugs. this means backing off the screw and re tightening it.

also check the connections in the transfer switch box for same integrity

once you are Happy, then make sure all breakers are OFF and then re apply shore power and turn on each breaker one at a time and watch and listen for odd things. then turn on inverter breakers and turn on inverter.

magnum energy has a great tech line is its the inverter.

it really sounds like a loose ground or return side wire is loose
Old 07-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It depends on your inverter.
My inverter would do it to supplement the incoming watts and voltage if needed.
With my xantrex 3000w, it would be expected to kick on as a supplemental source of ac power.

When asking a question here it's important to supply us with all information you can accumulate.

Ask again and include pertinent information such as brands, random by days or random by minutes, what you're running on ac, how you know the inverter is actually coming on and you're not confusing the charge tap to the batteries with an inverter kickng on, if anything like air conditioner falters or dies when this happens, pedestal at a cut rate park lower or your good clean house power, you know, stuff we can help with.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
a 'random' loss of power may not actually have anything to do directly with your coach, but may be more of an electrical connection issue along the shore cord, main outlet's breaker you are plugged into, or a utility company issue. We've seen those several times here where we are plugged in, on a private site.

the Inverter kicks on, if you have it turned on, whenever it senses loss of 120v incoming power to the Main Panel, whether from Shore Power, or the Generator, since both enter thru the ATS(automatic transfer switch). Having a loose connection somewhere along the path can present itself at first as a 'nuisance' issue, but later as a real threat to something burning up along the way, such as a connection at the shore cord, especially those shore cords that attach directly to the side of the coach, with a 'twist lock' type connector.

I would investigate any and all wiring points to make sure every wire connection is absolutely TIGHT, without any shore power, of course, while doing so. Check the Shore Power's main breaker, the end of the shore cord, the ATS box, and even your own Main Panel, especially the breaker which provides the incoming power to the Inverter's pass thru, normally called a 'Inverter MAIN' or similar wording.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
20 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbergren View Post
We recently purchased a gently used 2012 40ft Tuscany. When it’s plugged into shore power, it will randomly click from shore power to inverter and quickly back to shore power. We had the relay switch replaced, but that did not fix the problem. We love our new rig, but this problem is very annoying. Any ideas on what might be wrong?
My turn at the proverbial 'ring'...
As others mentioned, more information is required to assist. My thoughts on this is that if you have a dedicated inverter and the battery supply is dead, then when plugging in the shore cord will start the charging process - batteries reach a certain "minimum level" for the inverter and it connects to the system... which will immediately 'drain' the uncharged battery and switches back to the shore power. I could see this happen until the batteries accept a certain amount of charge to keep the inverter "on".
So, fill in the blanks so others can assist, what others have suggested is good info.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
A recent post with the same symptoms turned out to be the slip rings on the power cord reel

Dont know if all Tuscany coaches have reels

Another similar issue was the plug on the power cord
Old 07-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #8

State: Iowa
THOR #18603
Thanks. I’m putting my money on the power cord reel. It hasn’t worked since I bought it.

Tags
shore power