Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 33x
State: Virginia
THOR #14214
Low oil pressure

I was returning home and driving in the Pocono Mountains of PA when the oil gauge drops to the bottom of the gauge and the low oil pressure message appeared. This will come and go, happens more frequent when going down the mountains and go off when climbing. The oil level is good. 2020 Hurricane 33x with the Ford V10 engine. Hope it's just a loose connection. Any thoughts would be great.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Why wouldn't you be at a dealer, under warranty, right now, getting diagnosed?

What we think or a loose connection or anything else is waaaayhh down the line of things to do about this problem.

Go to a Ford shop and get it diagnosed.

I mean:
I can say ANYTHING, like:
"oh, it's fine. They often do that. It's a loose wire. My uncles friends brothers barber has this problem on a 1966 dodge impala back in 1958. No need to worry at all"

Don't think for a merest flash of a scintilla there aren't unknowing opinions and even saboteurs amongst us.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Could be a loose wire.
Could be a bad oil pump
Could be a loose pickup to the oil pump

2/3 are catastrophic to the engine.

Are you feeling lucky?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Could also be a bad pressure sensor BUT........

There was another post about 2 months ago where someone had a relatively new coach.... I believe a Class A with the V10..... he was pulling into or out of a campground when it started making a lot of noise and the engine locked up.

Turned out to be a major engine failure. I can't remember the root cause but I agree with the other posts that you should get it looked at ASAP.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
When the oil pump failed on my Cummings ISL, the computer would not allow the engine to exceed idle RPM's. I would guess, and its only a guess, that Ford's computer was smart enough to not allow the engine to self destruct.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
cut..

I mean:
I can say ANYTHING, like:
"oh, it's fine. They often do that. It's a loose wire. My uncles friends brothers barber has this problem on a 1966 dodge impala back in 1958. No need to worry at all"
cut...
A dodge impala? Talk about driving home a point...
(pun intended)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you gotten to a dealership yet?
Believe it or not: I had a 1975 Olds 88 Royale with a 400 small-block in iut. I had exactly the same symptoms develop, and it turned out to be a pressure relief valve sticking open.
But you had to crack the cases to get to the darn thing; so I traded it in...

Good luck with yours!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
No matter what problems your coach has they all pale in comparison to a blown engine. Get your 2020 to a Ford dealer and have it looked into. Even if they find nothing wrong, it will be documented.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #9

THOR #14214
As stated in my original post that it reads fine at times then the gauge drops and the warning message comes on, no noise from the engine. The first time it happened, I stopped, shut it down and check the oil level. I could drive for miles without issue and then it would start again. I will be taking it to a dealer, was just posting here to see if anyone else had something similar.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtyler View Post
I was returning home and driving in the Pocono Mountains of PA when the oil gauge drops to the bottom of the gauge and the low oil pressure message appeared. This will come and go, happens more frequent when going down the mountains and go off when climbing. The oil level is good. 2020 Hurricane 33x with the Ford V10 engine. Hope it's just a loose connection. Any thoughts would be great.

Take it in ASAP!! My 2020 hurricane engine blew due to oil issue!! 3 Months in shop just for engine!! Actually going to pick it up now from the shop!!
Old 06-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtyler View Post
As stated in my original post that it reads fine at times then the gauge drops and the warning message comes on, no noise from the engine. The first time it happened, I stopped, shut it down and check the oil level. I could drive for miles without issue and then it would start again. I will be taking it to a dealer, was just posting here to see if anyone else had something similar.

I'm glad Macdaddy posted..... he is the one I remember posting about losing a new engine.

Just a word of caution.....

The ECM (computer) stores error codes and the better ones even store the dates and times when they occurred. If there is an actual oil pressure issue, Ford could push back on covering it under warranty because you continued to drive it if they see that in the history logs.

I believe the owners manual will say cease driving the vehicle and have it towed to a dealer if you get a low oil pressure message.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
It was doing the exact thing. Dealership is one that told us it was a glitch and we could make it back to home! Ha

Hey Bedford PA ford knows how to fix. Willy is service Manager !! Tell him Mac said hi!!

https://youtu.be/ILnrt1NUvzo
Old 07-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #13

THOR #13629
Red face I used to have...

a 1978 Ford Courier Pickup truck (which was a Mazda truck with a Pinto engine...) Well, when I would make a left turn, the oil pressure would drop to zero. I actually had oil pressure gages and not just idiot lights (I bought it used and it came with them.) It was OK going straight and when turning right, but a left turn... Well, it stopped doing that when i added oil to the engine. What does it have to do with your issue? not a got darn thing. I just wanted to chime in.

By the way, I have a 2017 Harley Ultra Classic that has a similar problem. I'll get a low oil light, and check the diagnostic screen and it says no oil pressure. pull over, turn it off, and start it back up, and it's all fine. It's actually a bug in the on-board power on self test (POST) diagnostics for the engine. something is done 'out of sequence' and the corrective action is to reboot the system! I guess they bought all their on-board computers with Windows installed.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #14

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Unfortunately dealers often have problems diagnosing intermittent behaviors. Codes stored in computer might help on this one. I had an intermittent complaint for 60,000 miles on my dodge diesel turbo. A couple dealers wanted to replace it for $3-4,000. Did cleaning and drilled a hole in it to no avail. It went over 60,000 miles with no performance issues.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #15

THOR #19512
What did they determine? I had the same issues. 2020 Thor driving in northern Az mountains.

Comes and goes
Old 07-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #16

THOR #14214
Waiting for an opening at the local Ford Dealership to check it out. The Thor dealer (Camping World) said they don't work on engines.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31D
THOR #5638
I might be mistaken but I think the pick up is about center or the oil pan on a V10 and if the oil level is low, actually very low, the pick up could be out of the oil pool on hills, up or down.

Dip sticks on a new engine are 99.9% of the time correct but there but are the rare outlier with the wrong stick or markings from the factory.

The normal fill amount (with a filter change) is seven quarts but to trigger a low level if might need to be pretty low. Easy enough to verify by draining the pan into a clean bucket and measuring. It's a long shot but easy to check while waiting on an appointment.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #18

THOR #14214
ArizonaRV have you had yours looked at, still waiting for service appointment to have mine checked out.

I might do the oil drain suggestion Sweetbriar suggested, just to verify that the dipstick is accurate
Old 07-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #14921
I build and rebuild engines and transmissions as part of my business...
Oil pump pickup screens are mere fractions of an inch from the floor of the oil pan. If you have anything showing on your dipstick, capacity is likely not your problem..
There are a number of potential issues that could cause yours..
Typically its a electrical connection issue. I do believe that some models/year of Thor’s coaches had wiring running too close to the exhaust which could possibly cause intermittent grounding of the wire from the sending unit.
Someone else mentions the bypass valve (maintains proper oil pressure level) - and I have seen this.
One other potential issue is the oil filter itself. If the filter is too restrictive, it will cut your oil pressure dramatically... I have seen an oil filter come apart internally and caused this exact thing - but that was 30+ years ago.
Frankly, I would not advise running it anymore. Have it towed to the dealer. Your insurance should pay most if not all of the bill...
Grab your belongings that you may need first - it could be there a while...
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #20

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I have to agree that it should go to a dealer if it's under warranty because if it is a issue with the oil pump and the engine is damaged a dealer can look at the history of any fault codes and if there are and most certainly will be faults codes for low oil pressure you just voided that warranty by continuing to drive it.

while I do agree its most likely either a bad wire or sending unit, or a oil filter plugged up the only way to rule out the pump itself is to hook up a manual oil gauge and compare to electric gauge when its acting up, also if the oil pump actually is failing you would here some engine noise like lifter knock but the best and cheapest thing to do is let the dealer diagnose it so your warranty is protected.