Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Smile 1st Oil Change - Onan Gen QD6000 2021 Magnitude

Just some observations that may prepare you for your first generator oil change on a Magnitude/Omni or similar coach.

Wow that 3/8" drain plug is tight!
Others have mentioned it here but I was skeptical thinking how tight could it be? Really, really tight is the answer. Don't use a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter for your socket wrench, it will break (ask me how I know). Ended up using a 2 1/2 foot breaker bar with a long 3/8" 6 point socket. Once I removed it I saw that its a threaded plug with no lip or gasket and it had blue loctite on it.

Wow that original oil filter is tight and small!
Once again, others have mentioned it here but I was skeptical. It really is tight and hard to get leverage on the small, tight filter (replacement Onan filter has a larger diameter) Ended up going to my buddies auto shop and borrowing his strap wrench as none of mine would grab that little filter. Needed the wrench to get one full turn plus before I could use my hand.

Wow the oil fill neck is right up against the ceiling of the generator compartment
Learned this one on my own. Needed to use a fluid transfer pump from the gallon oil container to the filler neck. Might have been able to finagle a quart size oil bottle in there with some spillage but no way with the 1 Gallon container. I'll keep a pint size water bottle full of oil handy for topping off.

Next time it will be a much easier job due to not dealing with the over tightened drain plug and oil filter. Everything is actually very accessible and its an easy job, "the second time..."

150 hours or 1 year till the next change

Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Just some observations that may prepare you for your first generator oil change on a Magnitude/Omni or similar coach.

Others have mentioned it here but I was skeptical thinking how tight could it be? Really, really tight is the answer. Don't use a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter for your socket wrench, it will break (ask me how I know). Ended up using a 2 1/2 foot breaker bar with a long 3/8" 6 point socket. Once I removed it I saw that its a threaded plug with no lip or gasket and it had blue loctite on it.

Once again, others have mentioned it here but I was skeptical. It really is tight and hard to get leverage on the small, tight filter (replacement Onan filter has a larger diameter) Ended up going to my buddies auto shop and borrowing his strap wrench as none of mine would grab that little filter. Needed the wrench to get one full turn plus before I could use my hand.

Wow the oil fill neck is right up against the ceiling of the generator compartment
Learned this one on my own. Needed to use a fluid transfer pump from the gallon oil container to the filler neck. Might have been able to finagle a quart size oil bottle in there with some spillage but no way with the 1 Gallon container. I'll keep a pint size water bottle full of oil handy for topping off.

Next time it will be a much easier job due to not dealing with the over tightened drain plug and oil filter. Everything is actually very accessible and its an easy job, "the second time..."

It was extremely easy taking the rig to a service center for the oil change. I value my time at more than the hourly rate for a lube tech.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:34 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post

Don't let cranky ole Dave pee in your Wheaties....... I also do most of my own maintenance on the coach, my vehicles, Spyders, snowmobiles, etc. as well because....

- I enjoy it
- I do a better job than most (but maybe not all) techs
- I usually have the time
- If I can do it better and cheaper, why spend the money on it (unless you have so much money you use it for RV toilet paper)

The Onan oil drain plug and filter on my Magnitude was very similar and there are many reports online that the Onan's are this way from the factory. I purchased this wrench and it worked very well for the oil filter....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I didn't find it too difficult to fill it with oil using the right type of funnel. I also used Rotella T5 15W-40 Synthetic Blend.

As you said.... it is easier the second time around.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Do most of my work for the same reasons

Have two sizes of the filter wrench by Crescent matching my several drawers of various pliars

It also justifies buying new tools occasionally
Old 05-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #5

THOR #24580
LOL - This is a perfect example of Chocolate and Vanilla.

I did get a chuckle when I saw Dave's response as I'm getting accustomed to his direct, no BS, no filter answers. I can appreciate that Dave.

I'm obviously more in the Judge/LW camp when it comes to repairs and maintenance.

Another reason I do my own maintenance is that it can end up actually saving me time. By the time I schedule an appointment, bring the coach to the shop, leave it there and then pick it up... I'm done.

Quick question: Do you guys prefer chocolate or vanilla ice cream?
Old 05-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Nobody peeing in anyone’s Wheaties. Just offering a different perspective.

Different strokes for different folks. Some folks like doing things themselves while others use their time for other endeavors.

I performed my own maintenance for over 40 years and after selling the sticks and bricks I no longer have the facilities to perform my own work. So, I will take my vehicles to those that have the facilities to perform the work requested and I will use the time I gain to kick back and enjoy an adult beverage or three.

I am a believer in opportunity cost.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I'm with Judge...it's really simple once you've gone through the first change. The Cummins/Onan dealer wanted me to bring it in, leave it and come back when they were done...right...for an oil change, no. Plus, they would not give me a price...they wanted time and materials...another "not today". They estimated "about $250, give or take". BTW, be sure to change your air filter also. I added an inline fuel filter.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #8

THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I'm with Judge...it's really simple once you've gone through the first change. The Cummins/Onan dealer wanted me to bring it in, leave it and come back when they were done...right...for an oil change, no. Plus, they would not give me a price...they wanted time and materials...another "not today". They estimated "about $250, give or take". BTW, be sure to change your air filter also. I added an inline fuel filter.
Thanks Gritz - I'll check the air filter to be sure but the gen only has 40 hours on it.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:13 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post

Exactly Gritz! I look at it the same way.

I think it costs more time / money to take the coach to a service center... then either wait a couple hours for it there.... or get a ride back home if I don't want to waste time waiting.... then a ride back to pick it up.

There is a lot of lost time and waisted costs (fuel for coach.... fuel for a ride back and forth from the dealer.... cost of my time waiting or driving back and forth) in that approach.... IMHO.

Now when I'm too old to do it, I'll have no choice.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:10 PM   #10

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I'm the same, I will bring the rig into a Truck Service Center, i appreciate them letting me watch... some insurance policies prohibit this, i have to get in the oil pit and inspect all of the hoses, lines, cables, frame, then i'm good. i have applied a fresh coat of black flex seal to most of the frame work, etc. I can detect a leak, a corrosion area instantly....they are supposed to use torque wrenches. Not hammer down on oil filters, oil plugs...ugh...
Old 05-19-2022, 05:20 PM   #11

THOR #24580
I read somewhere (maybe here) that when they put oil filters on at the factory they don't put oil on the gasket so it ends up being a dry surface to dry surface making it even harder to remove the factory oil filter.

P.S. Vanilla chocolate chip for me...
Old 05-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Come on guys, without Daves whit, some of these threads would be boring.
By the way, I use a funnel with a hose, easy peasy.
I also measure the amount emptied at start there with said amount back in. Turn off breaker, run genny 10 minutes, check fluid. Same amount of time to enjoy an adult beverage and cigar……
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:49 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
A short section of garden hose attached to the end of a transmission funnel works good also. I use that for adding DEF as well.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote