Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #4885
Good year tires not so good

We got 6 new G670 19.5" Good year tires on our 2016 31s Hurricane in 2020 in July. He had a hard time finding 6 tires. The first time we took it out the RV vibrated so bad we couldn't even drive 65. I called him and said that he doesn't balance the back tires. So he would move the tires around and balance all the tires. He uses balance beads and not weights. We took the RV out again and it was better but there was still vibration going on. We took it back and he kept saying it was our RV and it need shocks. He drove it and said there was nothing wrong and that it was the road we were feeling. At this time I couldn't trust that he was balancing them right so I paid $300 to have the weights put on by someone else. He called us after he put the tires on said he took it for a drive and said it felt the same as before. I felt I had to prove to him it wasn't our RV so I broke down and had him put shocks on $1000. We took it out again and there was still vibration. It was now the end of the season and to call him in April. When April 2021 rolled around I decided to move each tire myself to find the bad tire. I moved tire 3 to the tire 1 location. It was great improvement. I drove it by myself and I though we had it. We took it out and my wife said that her side is bouncing so bad that it upsets her stomach. I could not feel it on my side. But you could hear a sound of a tire out of round. I moved my good tire to her side and #6 to mine. Her side was better but mine was not. I moved #4 to mine still not good. Don't waste a hour calling Goodyear cause they will not help. They need a good year representative to tell them their tires are bad. The guy that sold me the tires told them that it was our RV that was the problem. He never thought that it was the tires that were bad. I called him and he said he was done with our RV. He did not want anything to do with it. That he went above and beyond the call of duty for us. I all most blew my top. Breathing breathing. I begged him to replace the bouncing tire just 1 tire. He said that he would. He said when he called good year and that he lied to them and told them it was out of round. He ordered the tire. We were going on a trip that weekend so I moved the last tire to my side. OMG this is the tire that started this whole thing. We couldn't even drive 65. So when I was at the campground I moved the bad tire to the back. I had that tire replaced by him $60. Told him about the bouncing tire and had that replaced 2 weeks later another $60. The RV is a lot better but still not as good as the old tires. I'm done moving them around. The RV at one time was bouncing so bad that you couldn't put your head on the couch while driving. I heard that Good year is no longer making the G670 tire any more. I think I know why. The lesson here is Good year will not help and that they rely on you to put the bad tires in the back. The only way to tell which tire is bad is if its the tire in front and on your side. The RV bounces more when pulling a car. When they balance a tire and say its round doesn't mean anything.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Paragraph much?

Bad shocks don't cause vibration: out of balance/out of round/bent wheels and tires do.

The rumor of the G670 demise has been around since at least 2005 - still being made.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #4885
Not really. I was told that they stop making them and are changing the design.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by climberbob View Post
Not really. I was told that they stop making them and are changing the design.
You were also told your shocks were bad and causing the vibration.

Are the G670s great tires? No, they're OEM tires and there are plenty of "horror" stories about them on the RV forums, but you can get bad tires from any manufacturer. What's important to you is the tires you have. Take them to an independent truck tire shop that you can trust and have them evaluated. Proceed from there.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote