Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Leveling Jack Hydraulic Leak

Hey friends, we were on the freeway when suddenly the LCI jack control panel started beeping and the "Jacks Down" indicator illuminated on our 2018 Palazzo 33.2. We got to our campground and checked the jacks which were all up but there was hydraulic fluid running down the front right jack.
I called LCI and asked if i could just pull the fuse or breaker on the system for now, but they said they could not guarantee that ALL the jacks would fall down as there is no passive safety lock or valving and the system requires pressure on the retract side so the pump would keep cycling, trying to keep the jacks up while you're driving until you run out of fluid...
Hoping we can get a mobile service to come wiggle under our low rider Palazzo to secure the jacks so we can get home and to warranty service next week...
Either that or keep filling the hydraulic tank and wetting down the freeway...
Just a warning to carry extra (lots) Dextron III and cheap cargo straps or bailing wire to ensure you aren't stranded because you can't trust your jacks not to fall down when driving...

Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
Hey friends, we were on the freeway when suddenly the LCI jack control panel started beeping and the "Jacks Down" indicator illuminated on our 2018 Palazzo 33.2. We got to our campground and checked the jacks which were all up but there was hydraulic fluid running down the front right jack.
I called LCI and asked if i could just pull the fuse or breaker on the system for now, but they said they could not guarantee that ALL the jacks would fall down as there is no passive safety lock or valving and the system requires pressure on the retract side so the pump would keep cycling, trying to keep the jacks up while you're driving until you run out of fluid...
Hoping we can get a mobile service to come wiggle under our low rider Palazzo to secure the jacks so we can get home and to warranty service next week...
Either that or keep filling the hydraulic tank and wetting down the freeway...
Just a warning to carry extra (lots) Dextron III and cheap cargo straps or bailing wire to ensure you aren't stranded because you can't trust your jacks not to fall down when driving...
Can you determine if the hose fitting is leaking or is actually coming from the Jack? If just a fitting maybe you can tighten it up.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
As a side note, I always use Mercon V since I am a ford guy and had that on hand for use with the Super Dutys. As I read the instructions any all synthetic fluid will work and in a pinch any transmission fluid.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #4

THOR #12839
Unfortunately it's too hard to get under the RV at the campground to exactly locate it, but near as I can tell, it's a ruptured hose up above the right front jack (the hoses on that jack have a couple of too tight turns past a metal angle).
I did manage to get all of the jacks secured enough to get home and to the dealer service next week.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Alaska
THOR #13320
Had the same problem with my 2018 Hurricane 29m. The left front jack hose sprung a leak due to it rubbing on an angle bracket. Har to replace the hose, which Thor paid for. I did the labor my self.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #6

THOR #12839
Fortunately mine is still under warranty till the end of this month, so other than the inconvenience during our last trip and having to take it for service, I don't have to worry about it. I'll try to get them to address some other minor issues while they have it.

I would like to know what the maximum bend radius is for those hoses, because in addition to the no clearance between the hose and the angle iron, it was also a 90° bend in the two hoses.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #7

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Mine has done since new, the dealer said they tested it and everything checks out. Every time that panel lights up and beeps while going down the road my butt puckers up .
I just shut it off and all is good.
The other day I came from Kentucky to Michigan and it was the first time the panel didn't come on by itself.
Can you imagine the excitement if those levelers come down while going down the road ???
Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
Can you imagine the excitement if those levelers come down while going down the road ???
"Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer" !
just kidding...
Old 07-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #9

THOR #12839
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
"Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer" !
just kidding...
One of my favorite cartoons but I suspect it would not be as fun or end as well..
It is rediculous that they would design a system that could EVER fail in that manner or leave you stranded at best if you didn't secure it.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:49 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
One of my favorite cartoons but I suspect it would not be as fun or end as well..
It is rediculous that they would design a system that could EVER fail in that manner or leave you stranded at best if you didn't secure it.
My folks have electric jacks. A pin sheared and they have to strap the jack up till it can be repaired. Special order, 30 days.