Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Texas
THOR #218
Leveling Jack Leaking Down - While Up

I've searched a lot on multiple forums, but haven't found anything to address my issue. One of my leveling jacks, while retracted in storage, leaks down. When I start the MH, it retracts like it should. Any ideas on why?

5 Star Tuner, Blue Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Not sure what Levelers you have but the LCI’s have hydraulic pressure for both extend and retract. It sounds like you have a slow leak.

I would check that jack for leaks at the hydraulic fittings and then trace the lines back to the pump and look for a possible leak.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Look at the manual operation procedure for your levelers and verify that the activating solenoid is not partially manually opened.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #4

THOR #218
Thanks. I’ll check both items.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Arizona
THOR #11853
PMSPKS
I purchased a 2018 Windsport with LCI levelers last year. During our test drive we found that a jack had come down while it had been parked at the dealership. They said they fixed it but it did the same thing while parked at my home.

I'll shorten the long story. After many returns to the dealer Lippert replaced: entire pump assembly; all hydraulic hoses; and one of the new hoses that bursted while we were driving.

Although Lippert was good about their warranty, they had no answer but to keep replacing parts to solve the issue. Heading out next week with our fingers crossed ��
Old 06-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Lippert uses positive hydraulic pressure to hold the jacks up. You probably have a leaking "O" ring in the valve assembly. As far as know Lippert does not offer parts to service the valve assembly. By the way my right front jack leaks down about 4 inches a month. I just retract it when I exercise the generator. It has been that way for 3 years and I don't consider it a problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #7

THOR #11853
Beau388

Lippert never found s leak, but finds that it will not hold pressure. I myself didn't consider it much of a problem only a annoyance when my jack down Alarm kept going off every 5 minutes while driving, until a jack did
extended almost 4" while driving.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #8

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Friend has a forest river fiver that had the same problem. His problem was more critical because he had no alarm while traveling! Every stop and when entering the campground, he had to manually retract and raise the jack.

Numerous trips to the dealer and numerous parts finally came down to the ram piston had a internal leak. The problem jack was replaced and his troubles went away.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #9

THOR #11853
PMSPKS
Sorry, didn't want to hijack your thread. I hope your problem is only as serious as BEAU388 and hope others can offer you more help than I did. Good luck and safe travels!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #10

THOR #218
I am going to check for leaks as suggested. I don't consider it a real problem as it only happens when parked in storage for a period. The jack retracts as soon as I fire up the engine.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSPKS View Post
I am going to check for leaks as suggested. I don't consider it a real problem as it only happens when parked in storage for a period. The jack retracts as soon as I fire up the engine.
I don't see where you mention what brand leveler system you have.
My experience is with Lippert LCI hydraulic leveling system.
However, I do have industrial experience in hydraulic systems.

When the jacks are retracted, and up fully, system shuts down and there should be no pressure present, as they do not incorporate accumulators in the system.

To me, it could be one of a couple things, unless it is physically leaking fluid to a puddle on the ground (that obviously can be traced).

With Lippert system;
Each jack has a 2-way holding valve, either it is sticking, or it is partially manually held open by its set screw as someone mentioned.
Sticking ones need replaced.
To deploy, or retract a cylinder, the fluid must pass through this solenoid controlled logic valve.
When it is shut, no fluid should pass (2 way: open or closed).

The directional valve determines the direction of flow, to deploy, or retract.

The other possibility is within the jack cylinder itself.
The piston seals could be leaking by, allowing the fluid to get onto the other side of the piston, while gravity acts on the ram (rod shaft).

I cannot say for sure, if they are lip type seals, one way leaking is possible, especially if they are stacked back to back (normal & correctly installed).

I have never taken one apart to see what is in there, but if the seals were o-ring type, then internal leak by is possible in both directions.
I would think that if this were the case, you might experience leak by while the weight of the camper is on it, then just as slowly, you would lose your level.

I doubt if they are 0-ring type, but you never know.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #12

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Look at the manual operation procedure for your levelers and verify that the activating solenoid is not partially manually opened.
I believe it takes a 5/32" allen type hex key wrench, at least on the Lippert system.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #2162
I have the same issue. Had a leak in the R front jack (Lippert), finally got it replaced under warranty (almost a year of hassle), then the new one drops about 4-5 in while parked. Been working on this issue for almost a year on this and still no resolution. Dealer told me they replaced the 'valve' on my last visit but I cant tell that any repair was done, wish i had marked the solenoids..I called Lippert and they suggested that I have the jack pressure tested to see if its the valve or the jack itself, I told the dealership, they looked at me like I was crazy.. And this past weekend in the Smokies, noticed that our L rear jack is now leaking! Here we go again
ipagan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #14

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
I believe it takes a 5/32" allen type hex key wrench, at least on the Lippert system.

Just a side comment here. It would be fantastic if 10scDust could draw up and share a hydraulic schematic diagram (with labelled key valves etc) of what is actually happening on the Lippert jack system.....up and down. I enjoy reading his occasional contributions to this forum on the Lippert hydraulic system, which many of us should/could certainly learn more about. Of course time is always a limitation for any of us.....just saying it might be worth saving such a diagram and description in our RV smart book(s).

By the way year 7 on my ACE 30.1 and no jack problems.....yet. I am sure my luck will run out eventually. Lippert recommends changing some of the hydraulic oil (transmission fluid) every three years, but I have yet to do that due to concerns about using fluid that may cause problems. I am also anal about cleaning the jack ram rods just when breaking camp before retraction. I brush the jack feet clean of any accumulated dirt/rocks and then spray and wipe down each jack rod with silicone spray and clean paper towels. Not sure if that has made a difference to protecting the jack rod seals from damage.....but it can't hurt unless you use the wrong king of spray that may attack the seals).
Old 10-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder if PMSPKS ever found the source of his leak in that jack?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote