Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Leveling Jacks noisy

I have a 2018 Thor Miramar 35.3 and my leveling jacks are ok when I first level the unit but a day or 2 later they start to creek as I walk around inside the unit and it progressively gets worse. Once I pull in the slide outs and relevel it’s ok again for a couple of days. Does anyone know what I can do.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I dont have an answer for you but I would have someone wall (jump) around in the RV while I was under it trying to pinpoint the noise. I would also spray anything that looks like it might need lube or make noise with dry lube. Or a maybe wet lube (to get into tight places) then wipe off the excess so it dont attract dust.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #8228
Check your hydraulic fluid level & hoses, clean and wipe posts with spray like mentioned above, check mountings for cracks. Reset Zero level, don't rest on the stabilizers with tires off ground. Tires should hold the weight, stabilizers keep it steady.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
Since a external leak would be obvious, it's possible to have a internal leak inside the jack or fluid leaking back through extension (bypass) valve(s). With the jacks retracted verify hydraulic fluid level then check the extension (bypass) valves for the CCW position. The link below is the system used on my 2018 ACE but yours may be slightly different. Skip to page 13 for more detail. The LCI website has other versions to chose from besides this basic version. I hope this helps.

https://www.lci1.com/support-motoriz...ndard-leveling
Old 01-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
This post was in a previous thread concerning popping sounds from the jacks. You may want to check it out.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...CD_0002091.pdf

Called lippert . Need to add a quart of this. Pull in slides and jacks. Then take out a quart of Tran fluid and then add this anti stiction oil.. he stated popping will not harm anything just annoying.Make sure you take out or will overflow.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
Check your hydraulic fluid level & hoses, clean and wipe posts with spray like mentioned above, check mountings for cracks. Reset Zero level, don't rest on the stabilizers with tires off ground. Tires should hold the weight, stabilizers keep it steady.
I don';t know if it makes a difference or not; but the O.P. is talking about a leveling system, and not stabilizers.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

THOR #8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I don';t know if it makes a difference or not; but the O.P. is talking about a leveling system, and not stabilizers.
By stabilizers I'm referring to the hydrolic stabilizer legs on the Miramar (I own a 2015 34.2 also) that keeps the coach level and stable when walking around inside. When leveling you want to use blocks under the tires to level the coach as close as possible and then use the leveler legs to keep the coach stable. The lifts may also need pads on the ground like the tires... I've seen coaches, tires off the ground. So now the whole weight of the coach plus occupants rests on a couple of 2" posts and not the big beefy tires. Also never never lift the back tires, that's where the brakes are. Automatic levelers as cool and convenient as they are don't realize the tires may not be touching, that's why you need someone out scouting for you.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
By stabilizers I'm referring to the hydrolic stabilizer legs on the Miramar (I own a 2015 34.2 also) that keeps the coach level and stable when walking around inside. When leveling you want to use blocks under the tires to level the coach as close as possible and then use the leveler legs to keep the coach stable. The lifts may also need pads on the ground like the tires... I've seen coaches, tires off the ground. So now the whole weight of the coach plus occupants rests on a couple of 2" posts and not the big beefy tires. Also never never lift the back tires, that's where the brakes are. Automatic levelers as cool and convenient as they are don't realize the tires may not be touching, that's why you need someone out scouting for you.
I have a Miramar was well. They actually have Jacks, not stabilizers. The ideal is for the jacks to carry most of the weight of the coach rather than the suspension carrying the weight. The problem with allowing the suspension to carry the majority of the weight, you will feel motion every time some one walks around in the coach. I have never used leveling blocks to drive onto unless it was so bad I couldn't get level with the jacks alone, without lifting the rear off the ground.

The jacks on your Miramar are designed to LEVEL your rig and carry most of the weight.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #9

THOR #8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I have a Miramar was well. They actually have Jacks, not stabilizers. The ideal is for the jacks to carry most of the weight of the coach rather than the suspension carrying the weight. The problem with allowing the suspension to carry the majority of the weight, you will feel motion every time some one walks around in the coach. I have never used leveling blocks to drive onto unless it was so bad I couldn't get level with the jacks alone, without lifting the rear off the ground.

The jacks on your Miramar are designed to LEVEL your rig and carry most of the weight.
Yes, correct, jacks, but the jacks keep the coach stable, so I used that term in reference to the opening question... never the less the info is correct in so far as what the jacks should be doing. Also see below uploaded screen shot from Lippert auto leveling manual.
Best of luck with the new MH.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190103-125003_Drive.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	14887
Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #10150
If it has all ways drops on the same ram I would suspect the corresponding valves leaking back .
It's an easy part to change. Look on your hydraulic pump while simultaniously checking the manual on instructions to manually retract the legs.
Where in the manual it says use an Allen key to open the valve..... this is the part that needs replacing.
Depending on model may look like this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...46674171801720
Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Englishjay Quote "If it has all ways drops on the same ram I would suspect the corresponding valves leaking back .
It's an easy part to change. Look on your hydraulic pump while simultaniously checking the manual on instructions to manually retract the legs.
Where in the manual it says use an Allen key to open the valve..... this is the part that needs replacing.
Depending on model may look like this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...46674171801720"

On our Lippert level system, we experienced a problem that seemed to be a bad pump, it was the directional valve stuck.
Anyway...
Taking it apart to inspect, those hydraulic logic valves are made by Deltrol, and the part number code is stamped on the flats of the hex for removing it."

First remove the nut, oring, and the solenoid, then with a deep well socket you can remove it.
If it is allowing fluid to pass when it should be checked.
We had to find a hydraulics industrial supply to get the part.
It is a $42 part, and minimum order was $80, so I now have a spare.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #12

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
If you do your own troubleshooting on the hydraulics, be aware there are o-rings at all the hose connections, between the manifolds, and everywhere it needs sealed not to leak.
You don't want to create more problems for yourself!