Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 01:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #15871
Leveling question

I have a Thor Freedom Elite 24he with a full side slide.
I level the unit initially then put the slide out and it throws it out of balance.
I relevel it by moving the RV while the slide is out. Will this cause a problem later on? If so, what's the proper method.
Thanks for your input, I'm a newbie.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How much "moving" are we talking about?
Old 07-15-2020, 01:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
How far "out of level" does the slide make it? Without using levelers or stabilizers you can expect the chassis suspension to shift a degree or so and not suffer any negative consequences. If it bothers you, level the slide side a little high before you deploy the slide.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:34 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What he said...
Old 07-15-2020, 03:40 AM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Not much you can do about that. You could start it off a little off level at first with the slide side higher and then when the slide goes out that might bring it into level:
Old 07-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #6

THOR #15871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
How much "moving" are we talking about?
Just enough to move it off the leveling type ramp, add more hight (2x6) and move it back, then check level bubble. Less than a couple of feet.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #7

THOR #15871
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
How far "out of level" does the slide make it? Without using levelers or stabilizers you can expect the chassis suspension to shift a degree or so and not suffer any negative consequences. If it bothers you, level the slide side a little high before you deploy the slide.
Thanks, I'll try that next time.
Most times I have to add another 2" or so to make it level.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #8

THOR #15871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Not much you can do about that. You could start it off a little off level at first with the slide side higher and then when the slide goes out that might bring it into level:
👍 Thanks for the input.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Just enough to move it off the leveling type ramp, add more hight (2x6) and move it back, then check level bubble. Less than a couple of feet.
A couple of feet shouldn't matter one or two times. I would recommend that you get into the habit of leveling with the slide side high before extending the slide. I even do this with my coach that has leveling jacks. Slide side high and then when the slide is extended the bubble is in the center. One or two times of doing this it will be second nature,
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Climbing back up onto the ramps would load the suspension and then the frame...
Best to do what "EA" and "EW" said: start out a little bit off-level, and let the slide pull things back into place.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #11

THOR #15871
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
A couple of feet shouldn't matter one or two times. I would recommend that you get into the habit of leveling with the slide side high before extending the slide. I even do this with my coach that has leveling jacks. Slide side high and then when the slide is extended the bubble is in the center. One or two times of doing this it will be second nature,
Thanks I'll try that next time. Don't know why I didn't think about that already.??
Old 07-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I level the unit initially then put the slide out and it throws it out of balance.
I relevel it by moving the RV while the slide is out. Will this cause a problem later on? If so, what's the proper method.
A contrarian opinion here. The purpose of leveling the coach before moving the slide(s) is to ensure the coach's frame is not twisted. The jacks operate in pairs to ensure the frame is not twisted. The slide's operation is not impeded if the coach is not level as long as the frame is not twisted. If the frame is twisted and the slide moved, there is a distinct possibility of the drive shaft gears jumping a tooth, tilting or cocking the slide. For me, moving the coach with a small light weight slide (such as the bedroom slide) out, would not be a problem; however, moving a a coach with a heavy full wall slide could be disastrous.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Sit a dealership watching them move trailers & motorhomes, they may do figure 8s around the lot with the slides for out.
IMHO moving yours a couple feet occasionally most likely won't hurt the slide provided it's not grossly off level or jumping over curbs while moving it, but just my opinion.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Measure the amount of movement and then recalibrate the auto level to compensate for the movement. Problem solved.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
A contrarian opinion here. The purpose of leveling the coach before moving the slide(s) is to ensure the coach's frame is not twisted. The jacks operate in pairs to ensure the frame is not twisted. The slide's operation is not impeded if the coach is not level as long as the frame is not twisted. If the frame is twisted and the slide moved, there is a distinct possibility of the drive shaft gears jumping a tooth, tilting or cocking the slide. For me, moving the coach with a small light weight slide (such as the bedroom slide) out, would not be a problem; however, moving a a coach with a heavy full wall slide could be disastrous.
My guess is a Class C without jacks. Jacks probably have no bearing.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Measure the amount of movement and then recalibrate the auto level to compensate for the movement. Problem solved.
If he has to move the coach for leveling there are no jacks so what calibration; the boards or LEGO blocks.

Think about this. Class C Freedom Elite, leveling jacks - seriously doubtful.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:04 AM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
I have the same model and even if I put the left rear stabilizer jack down hard, it'll still lean even further to the left after the slide comes out. Even with both jacks down it'll pick the right one up off the ground at full slide out. That full wall slide is incredibly heavy which is probably why we only have ~900lbs of remaining cargo capacity on this E350 chassis.

I bought a set of these Hopkins levels because I liked them on our old trailer. I put the side-to-side one on the cup holder tray in the cab and when I pull into a site, I level with blocks so the bubble is to the left 1 to 1.5 marks. This means the RV is high on the left side by 1-1.5 inches with this particular level.
Then I put the left stabilizer jack down and put the slide out and voila, the bubble is in the center and the RV is level. I'll then put the right jack down if I feel like it but it doesn't seem to have a big effect on stability.

Not a complicated approach, just have to anticipate how much further it'll lean once the slide is out and compensate in the beginning.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
If you are into gadgets that really work, check out Level Mate Pro. It makes leveling so much easier and part of the original setup includes allowing for the normal drop when the slide is extended. Mine is about 1/4". It also gives the distance in inches how much each corner needs to be raised our lowered. I got mine on sale at Camping World for around $125.

https://www.campingworld.com/levelma...cPZg&gclsrc=ds
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #19

Brand: DRV
Model: Elite Suite 40KSSB4
State: Michigan
THOR #7004
Leveling

Have you tried completing an auto-level again with the slide-out to correct the "out of level" problem prior to moving or adjusting?
Old 07-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #20

THOR #16732
Quote:
Hi I have a freedom elite 24fe and I have/ had the same problem.
But as has been said in this post, get the leveling pro or leveling pro 2.
Which takes into account the lean that you're going to get when you extend out the slide and tells you how much lift to put at each tire to obtain that level position, it works great and well worth the money.
The trick is take it to a level lot, extended slide and add as much to each wheel as you need to get your coach level inside.
Once you have that done you set the level mate program and it holds that value.
So from then on, when you pull up to any site. Whether it be level or unlevel, the program will tell you how much to put at each tire to get to that same level inside that you have when the slide is extended.
It should almost be a required piece of equipment it works so well.
David Hilton