Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 03:41 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Yes we have bears everywhere!

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:56 AM   #22

THOR #20220
This bear fought off 14 wolves ..be careful when in montana

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0bpNI...AmWUJ&hl=en_US
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 09-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
To tie this all together, I'm going out on a limb... (a Ponderosa Pine limb)
Carefully folded bear skins used in sufficient quantity can be used to level your RV.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #24

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
To tie this all together, I'm going out on a limb... (a Ponderosa Pine limb)
Carefully folded bear skins used in sufficient quantity can be used to level your RV.
Thanks I found one in our storage will try it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81pAWnF1-OS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	33446  
Old 09-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
This sounds like a great idea, but where am I gonna find hard rubber horse stall mats in Dallas But for OP, he might find horse stalls in Montana more readily than trees

But we use the pads / matts for exact same purposes, but I do have the added benefit to use as chocks.
You don't have Tractor Supply stores in Dallas?

You might have to drive to Mesquite, Seagoville, or Mansfield.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #26

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have tried the Oxgord and Rhinogear ramps and they work fine for my former 4,000 lb trailer but not so good for my 12,500 lb Axis 24.1. So this is what i bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. These are heavy, truck service ramps. Not cheap but very well made.

Realize that load ratings are based on the ramp sitting on a smooth concrete surface. It doesn't work that way in real world camping. So I wanted a ramp that was rated for several times my expected load. These are rated for 10,000 lbs each and using one per axle gives less than 4,000 lbs on a single ramp.

Contrary to prior advice I do use just one on the left or right rear axle placed under the outside wheel. Yes the wheel flattens a little, but as long as it is stationery that should not be a problem

I use these almost always on the rear wheels because you typically back into a site that is sloped to the back. The 6-1/2" lift has always done the job. Sometimes if the site is sloping to the side I put one ramp right up against the wheel on low side and put the ramp on the other side a few feet back so it won't lift as far.

The one time I pulled nose first into a site (the picnic table and fireplace were reversed from normal), I used them on the front wheels.

If the site is really rocky I try to sweep some sand around the bigger rocks to try to level the area under the ramp. I would not use the ramp with anything more than a about 1" rocks leveled with sand. Any bigger and you have a point load that will destroy the ramp.

So far I have camped at a dozen or so different sites this first year owning my Axis and these ramps have always done the job.

David
Old 09-09-2021, 03:13 AM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Seems contrary to logic to go a Tractor Supply store when I need Horse Supplies? But I have seen them all around Dallas but never went in one. I don't need Tractor or Horse Supplies. But I googled and the nearest to my house is 15.3 miles. There is also 5 stores within 15.3 & 19.7 miles of my house so basically no matter which way I go, I will run into one eventually

Anyhoo, per their websites they cost $50 https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...bber-stall-mat So I take it that if these mats are in stalls for a horse, they must get pooped on? I think I will pass on them, although if I had one that was brand new, I could use it in between the concrete deck in the backyard and my golf practice swing pad. It may protect my clubs by reducing impact if I hit down too hard.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:25 AM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
This bear fought off 14 wolves ..be careful when in montana

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0bpNI...AmWUJ&hl=en_US
Seems like I can read 20 positive posts on Montana and get just a slight uptick of interest and then that 1 post comes along with Grizzlies or those new Gray Wolves that is the equivalent of 200 negative posts.

I am still amused by driving through Raton Pass in Colorado (might have been New Mexico), and we saw a sign that said Bear Crossing Seems like if they know there are bears in the area somebody should go get them and relocate them to Montana
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-09-2021, 03:38 AM   #29

THOR #16721
Times have changed since when I was a kid on vacation with the family, and road signs prove it. Phone calls used to be restricted on how far you could call! Remember those blue signs "phone one mile"? What if you needed to call someone in another city??

I'm now noticing a trend where people must be dissatisfied with their garage... there's "garage sale" signs everywhere!
Old 09-11-2021, 08:25 PM   #30

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

They have Tractor Supply stores in Houston (I am from Blaine WA and shopped at one while visiting friends near there) . . . .no reason to believe that they are not in the DFW area?
Old 09-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6805 View Post
They have Tractor Supply stores in Houston (I am from Blaine WA and shopped at one while visiting friends near there) . . . .no reason to believe that they are not in the DFW area?
He stated there were stores in the area? But there are NO Tractor Supplies Stores in Dallas, or Fort Worth either for that matter. The closest Tractor Supply store to any outer edge point of Dallas city limits is Mesquite Texas which is what the ACE said and which happens to be is 28 miles from where I live. However, there are other stores that I cited ( 5 to be exact) that are between 15.7 to 19.3 miles from house. I won't drive 5 miles for Wal Mart, Lowes or Home Depot; so a visit to any Tractor Supply Store is not likely in my immediate future. I can simply order my horse supplies if I need any from Ohio by way of the Chateau Nomad
Old 09-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #32

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
The stall mats work great for dog kennel use, weight lifting floor protectors, walkway between raised flower/garden beds, even to walk on wearing ice skates!

Mine have poop on them, but they come from the store brand new.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:28 PM   #33

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
He stated there were stores in the area? But there are NO Tractor Supplies Stores in Dallas, or Fort Worth either for that matter. The closest Tractor Supply store to any outer edge point of Dallas city limits is Mesquite Texas which is what the ACE said and which happens to be is 28 miles from where I live. However, there are other stores that I cited ( 5 to be exact) that are between 15.7 to 19.3 miles from house. I won't drive 5 miles for Wal Mart, Lowes or Home Depot; so a visit to any Tractor Supply Store is not likely in my immediate future. I can simply order my horse supplies if I need any from Ohio by way of the Chateau Nomad
Does the horse sleep on the bed or does he have a bed in the toy hauler
Old 09-11-2021, 11:31 PM   #34

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
We use our five year old two sets of the orange lego blocks under our Class C RC25 weighing 7.5 tons. I use the blocks under the tires to level the RV as much as possible, then put the extras under the front jack pads. They have never broken or slipped; a couple are squished, but they work on top of the stack. I love your stories.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:45 AM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Does the horse sleep on the bed or does he have a bed in the toy hauler
I am not sure? Looks like I am gonna have to buy a horse to get this thread back on track

But at the moment, to level your coach without breaking the plastic lego blocks, a really nice sounding solution is to use the rubber horse mats from your horse stalls. So if I buy a horse, build a horse stall, go to tractor supply to get the horse rubber mats; and then after horse poops on the mats; I can cut it up and level my coach without using the plastics that are known to break

How we travel with the horse and where the horse sleeps is a whole other dimension

I think I will stay with my pressure treated pine wood blocks as referenced in earlier post
Old 09-12-2021, 03:22 AM   #36

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
I have used old rubber backed conveyor belting under the the leggo blocks to prevent them from scooting when driving up on them..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #37

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Opinions and real world success differs greatly, but my experience with plastic leveling devices for our class C is disappointing. While the plastic "Legos" worked great for our trailer... not much success with the 7 ton motorhome.

For me, they slide on pavement... and I've crushed several of them from the weight. I've never used the ramps, but I bit the bullet this past spring and had hydraulic Big Foot levelers installed.

I think the plastic may be fine for a class B van, but a 12 - 14,000# motorhome is a big ask for that brittle plastic.
I agree. Might be fine for lighter rigs but the levelers are much better not to mention easier. No crawling around positioning, just push “auto level”. Besides bigger rigs like this 34,000 lb I have would crush the plastic type.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #38

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
We use these for the front wheels on our Freedom Elite Class C
https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Ca...1661316&sr=8-5
Old 09-14-2021, 11:40 PM   #39

THOR #20220
My brother just gave me 2...no grip pad

Need to find 2
Old 09-15-2021, 12:12 AM   #40

THOR #16721
Quote:
...I can simply order my horse supplies if I need any from Ohio by way of the Chateau Nomad
Order within 2 hours and get a free box of fresh road apples...