Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Battery Numbers

Hi. I have a Miramar 37.1 Miramar. With 4-each 6-volt batteries, and 1-each 12-volt chassis battery. How do these battery voltage numbers look.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16D3AC26-E13F-475C-ACE7-CB6F527151AB.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	38351  

Old 06-27-2022, 03:08 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Perfect
But
Look up
'Surface charge'

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:09 PM   #3

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
Hi. I have a Miramar 37.1 Miramar. With 4-each 6-volt batteries, and 1-each 12-volt chassis battery. How do these battery voltage numbers look.

Thank you
Those numbers look good to me. Hopefully you diconnected the batteries from one another before you tested with volt meter. If not your numbers can be skewed by a weak or bad battery. How old are your batteries? If in doubt you can always load test them to be sure and remove all doubt. Good Luck
Old 06-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #4

THOR #22927
Thanks. My Batteries are one year old. Good idea to disconnect each one to test. I will do that also.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #5

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Fyi

In a 4-6V configuration you only need to open both series circuits (at the same time), then each battery will be isolated. No need to remove all connections.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:54 PM   #6

THOR #22927
Thank you. Good information.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:01 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Take pictures before disconnecting anything

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:20 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I have had GEM cars since they came out with them.

Since they had 6 gel 12v batteries and we tried to maximize the time between changes and targeted 5 years or more we tested individual batteries when one was suspect. I did go to AGM when they became available

You do not have to disconnect anything, just use a good quality voltmeter and test the voltage of each battery. Test when drawing no or minimal load.

The disconnect each battery is an old wife's tale that persist as an urban myth.

All you doubters give it a try next time you have a battery issue in a battery bank

They key to long battery life is a three-stage charger with temperature compensation all in working order and of course water levels if FLA. And of course, not discharging below the recommended level for your batteries.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post

Since they had 6 gel 12v batteries and we tried to maximize the time between changes and targeted 5 years or more we tested individual batteries when one was suspect. I did go to AGM when they became available

You do not have to disconnect anything, just use a good quality voltmeter and test the voltage of each battery. Test when drawing no or minimal load.

The disconnect each battery is an old wife's tale that persist as an urban myth.

All you doubters give it a try next time you have a battery issue in a battery bank

They key to long battery life is a three-stage charger with temperature compensation all in working order and of course water levels if FLA. And of course, not discharging below the recommended level for your batteries.
No way to test connected batteries individually if they are connected in parallel.

Even in a 2p2s configuration, if left connected an individual 6 volt battery can provide a false high voltage due to the parallel leg.

The "no need to disconnect" applies only if a single series string.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:54 PM   #10

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No way to test connected batteries individually if they are connected in parallel.

Even in a 2p2s configuration, if left connected an individual 6 volt battery can provide a false high voltage due to the parallel leg.

The "no need to disconnect" applies only if a single series string.
Try it when you get a chance
Old 06-27-2022, 06:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Try it when you get a chance
Both theory and practice dictate what I said is correct.

Think about it. Worst case: Put 2 six volt batteries in series; now put a third 6 volt battery in parallel with that series pair. Measure the individual voltage across the three batteries and tell me they're all the same.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:

Very true, you never need to disconnect the batteries if simply checking voltages on any lead acid battery (assuming you are not charging or discharging the batteries.The nominal minimum charging voltage is 13.1-13.5 volts (6.55 - 6.75 volts) where as the maximum resting battery voltage is 12.7 volts (6.35 volts). So no battery can charge another battery, It takes a battery with a dead, shorted cell to cause a voltage anomaly and like any short in a battery circuit, it will soon deplete all of the charge in all the batteries.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:13 AM   #13

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
6V Lead Acid Battery Voltage Charts
6V Sealed Lead Acid Batteries (AGM & Gel)
Voltage Capacity
6.44V 100%
6.39V 90%
6.33V 80%
6.26V 70%
6.20V 60%
6.11V 50%
6.05V 40%
5.98V 30%
5.90V 20%
5.85V 10%
5.81V 0%
Old 06-28-2022, 12:34 AM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Very true, you never need to disconnect the batteries if simply checking voltages on any lead acid battery (assuming you are not charging or discharging the batteries.The nominal minimum charging voltage is 13.1-13.5 volts (6.55 - 6.75 volts) where as the maximum resting battery voltage is 12.7 volts (6.35 volts). So no battery can charge another battery, It takes a battery with a dead, shorted cell to cause a voltage anomaly and like any short in a battery circuit, it will soon deplete all of the charge in all the batteries.

What ACE said is correct when there are two or more strings of batteries connected together because the possibility of one or more strong string(s) charging a weaker string is always a possibility. It’s an unlikely scenario, but when you have 4 batteries connected in two strings made up of 2-series 2-parallel, it’s a possibility nonetheless, so if we want more certainty in readings, we need to disconnect the two strings apart at a minimum. One connection should isolate the two strings prior to testing. Of course, the remaining connected string must not be charged during voltage reading as you suggest.

To me, checking voltage without a good load on batteries has limited value anyway.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:48 AM   #15

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

Thank you
Might be worth it to get a 6 volt battery tester and check the batteries once a year, that way there are no surprises
Old 06-28-2022, 12:49 AM   #16
MLP

THOR #17478
I like to measure the voltage, internal resistance, and load test. I do have to disconnect one lead to each battery as I go. I have float caps that show me the level of each cell. My batteries are kept charged from my 500W solar panels.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:19 PM   #17

State: British Columbia
THOR #9668
Quote:

Thank you
Voltage is not very good indicator. Proper battery test is power under load.

The same voltage batteries could work just half of the time compare with new one. Old battery with good voltage would not start you car, for example. If you are happy with the performance, then they are good.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #18

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
In a 4-6V configuration you only need to open both series circuits (at the same time), then each battery will be isolated. No need to remove all connections.

Any reason you would not disconnect at both negative sides of each series?
Attached Images

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #19

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Given you may have a very good quality three stage intelligent charger... why is temperature compensation needed?

My AGM mfg did not say or recommend anything about temperature compensation.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:24 PM   #20

THOR #9178
https://www.batteryminders.com/tempe...-compensation/

Over heating batteries in hot temps is the biggest issue

For you purist

Voltage test will indicate if you have an anomaly, then you load test

You have more time to waste than I choose to if you always disconnect